• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

MoYu Weilong V2 Discussion & Personal Reviews

kunparekh18

WCA
2013PARE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Just got the mini one today. The cube is heavier than my mini f/s and my 57mm Zhanchi, so it'll kinda take long for me to get used to it. Out of the box, it locks up quite a bit. I loosened all sides by almost 1.5 full turns from stock tensions, that setting is comfortable for me. I'll lube it tomorrow and break it in a bit more maybe. Which lube works best for this? For core and pieces separately?

Lchu613

WCA
2014CHUL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
From my experience Maru only lasts at most a few days on its own, but when you mix it in with diff oil/Lubix it'll kind of mix in a bit and make the diff oil a bit faster maybe. Don't know what really happens to it since it looks like it beads up on the dff oil though. Maybe it dries out and the dried-up Maru mixes in.

GnaCuber

Just got the mini one today. The cube is heavier than my mini f/s and my 57mm Zhanchi, so it'll kinda take long for me to get used to it. Out of the box, it locks up quite a bit. I loosened all sides by almost 1.5 full turns from stock tensions, that setting is comfortable for me. I'll lube it tomorrow and break it in a bit more maybe. Which lube works best for this? For core and pieces separately?

Which one will be your main for OH? Also, can you compare the 3 cubes in terms of feel and performance?

CoconutHead

WCA
2007CORU01
Ive had all three moyus. And the V2 is the exact same mechanism as the V1. The V2 consequently feels exactly the same as the V2. Any discrepencies is simply due to the fact that all cubes (i.e. Comparing 2 V1s) and inherently different.

However, with that said, the mini feels incredibly skoother than the V1 and V2. When turning the V1/V2, you can "feel" the ridges of the pieces. With the mini for some reason, the cube feels very 'tight/close' and so it turns smoothly all the way round. I dunno if its just my cube but mine definitely feels smoother. Its actually convinced me to use the mini over the V2 due to the feeling (i prefer V2 size).

Yuxuibbs

WCA
2011CHEN54
YouTube
Visit Channel
Also, can you compare the 3 cubes in terms of feel and performance?

The 57mm v1 and v2 are basically the same cube. The only difference is how the corners are put together. The feel and everything is the same. Obviously the v2 corners can split (and temporarily make the cube feel slightly less smooth until you make the corners go together correctly again) when you drop the cube on a corner just like all the other cubes that have corners split like that.

(rant) The mini v2 in my experience is a lot harder to tension and doesn't corner cut quite as much as the regular size weilongs. The mini v2 doesn't exactly feel like a weilong. IMO it feels a lot like an F2 with modern corner cutting abilities.
I'm very slightly disappointed in the mini v2 because corner cutting isn't quite as easy as the v1 (when doing OH solves). I lock up a lot more and get worse singles/averages because of the corner cutting "issue". I also over turn a lot because I was coming from a mini fangshi shuangren. When I don't get "lockups" due to the corner cutting/over turning, I get amazing singles (multiple 12.xx to 14.xx singles when I normally average ~18-20). I mostly wanted the mini weilong for OH and replace my fangshi illusion. I'm basically stuck between getting amazing singles (weilong) and consistent averages (fangshi illusion) and I would rather choose consistent averages for competition. (/rant)

I'm thinking about changing the springs in my mini weilong when I have time to something softer to see if it makes any difference. I'll post here if/when I do it.

Lchu613

WCA
2014CHUL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
That's a good point about the springs, perhaps they used regular 57mm springs in the smaller cube, which could lead to it being a bit different to tension.
May I suggest trying Fangshi springs? They're really soft compared to other types I've tried in spring swaps. In fact I might try it myself on my mini.

Yuxuibbs

WCA
2011CHEN54
YouTube
Visit Channel
May I suggest trying Fangshi springs? They're really soft compared to other types I've tried in spring swaps. In fact I might try it myself on my mini.

I do have an extra set of mini fangshi springs.... I'll try that tomorrow or something depending on how much free time I have. I was going to put wittwo springs in it.

Yuxuibbs

WCA
2011CHEN54
YouTube
Visit Channel
Slight bump

Mini weilong does not work well with wittwo springs, maru stock cx3 springs, or dayan springs. I've switched them back to stock mini weilong springs. Seems like it needs something slightly softer but the same length as the stock springs but not quite wittwo soft.