• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

MoYu Weilong, totally uncontrollable for me

windhero

WCA
2013COCO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Disclaimer: All cubes can be made controllable. Overlubing with diff oil in just the right amounts will give just the right amount of controllability. How you maintain that level on controllability is another story.

I like to think that uncontrollability is not a problem in the cube, its a problem in the user. I'm not accurate. I sometimes take 5-6 seconds to solve a single PLL that I've done thousands of times only because I'm rushing it and not trying to keep a flow. Or maybe I'm trying for a higher TPS than I can actually do at the moment. However I still prefer uncontrollable cubes because it is so hard to slow down with a cube that is naturally so fast. I think it slowly changes my subconsciousness while solving, I see it as a disclipinary training.

I kind of support adapting turning style to a cube as you might have guessed, but I do think it's case specific. I am still learning and I am nowhere near being great. I think that sub 10 cubers shouldnt learn a new cube because they are probably that fast as a result of optimizing their turning style. My turning style can be changed, I can still try different algorithms to see what fits my hands best. This is why I would also be willing to adapt to a cube I think is great.

RubiksJake12

I really wasn't sure where to ask this, so I suppose the best place is here. Would some people be willing to watch a short video if I were to make one where I demonstrate my Weilong, the way it sounds, the way it feels, demonstrate some algorithms and 1 or 2 example solves? I am distressed that people claim their Weilongs are incredibly fast and smooth, whereas mine feels only moderately fast and smooth. I think either my tensions are off, or more likely, I've overlubed it? I tried wiping some off, but the pieces aren't even wet to begin with. This cube has yet to be my favorite one, always coming in close second. With it's popularity and supposedly "perfectness", I think it can be that for me as well. For example, my Fangshi feels nearly twice as fast as my Weilong, and I don't think that is normal.

Bottom line, I would appreciate other people's input if you are willing, but do not wish to make a 3-5 minute video if no one is willing. Thank you in advance!

yockee

YouTube
Visit Channel
I've tightened to the point where there's at most 3 millimeters of space in between the pieces. And the lube is really thick. The weight five is like liquid hot glue.
3mm of space is a lot, actually. That's more than I have in mine and it is still quite fast. I usually tension (most) cubes with less than 1mm of space between the centers and core (when center is pulled). Some cubes require looser than this because of the design, but try it with the weilong. Just tighten it until its slow enough.

kcl

WCA
2013LEJE03
YouTube
Visit Channel
I really wasn't sure where to ask this, so I suppose the best place is here. Would some people be willing to watch a short video if I were to make one where I demonstrate my Weilong, the way it sounds, the way it feels, demonstrate some algorithms and 1 or 2 example solves? I am distressed that people claim their Weilongs are incredibly fast and smooth, whereas mine feels only moderately fast and smooth. I think either my tensions are off, or more likely, I've overlubed it? I tried wiping some off, but the pieces aren't even wet to begin with. This cube has yet to be my favorite one, always coming in close second. With it's popularity and supposedly "perfectness", I think it can be that for me as well. For example, my Fangshi feels nearly twice as fast as my Weilong, and I don't think that is normal.

Bottom line, I would appreciate other people's input if you are willing, but do not wish to make a 3-5 minute video if no one is willing. Thank you in advance!

I've found that the general feel of them differs greatly. Mine is easily the smoothest one I've ever felt, probably because I've done 300ish solves per day on it since august, half of which were on very tight tensions. . Most people have a much crispier feeling one than mine.

ILMZS20

a cube never "overturns" its just too fast for you. i dont know what other people said since i havent read the thread but i wouldnt use a weilong if you want a slower cube. i have a weilong and what i did was lubing the centers and pieces a little bit and then tensioned it to like medium-loose tensions and the speed really isnt that fast for me. i dont see the point in getting an insanely fast cube just to make it slow, i would pick a cube that is slower then :p so yeah, i wouldnt use a weilong in your case. you can also get used to it, but from the description that you gave it seems like my cube should be faster than yours so yours is already very slow for a weilong. so again, i would suggest a cube that fits your preferences

ILMZS20

did you lube your centers? cause i would suggest you to just take it completely apart, then clean off all the lube and do lubing and tensioning again. maybe you just did it wrong so you might want to use a tutorial on how to clean it out and then how to lube it properly so it wont be too much or too less lube. it should be good then

Dapianokid

None of this information may be relevant to you and I'm not sure if you even are requesting help for a problem, buuuuuuut...

I have two of them. One of them (my main for about a month and a half) is well tensioned, cuts corners at almost any angle from any side (there are some impossible angles, but it's wayy more than 45 degrees) and reverse cuts well. It's impressively better than my other one. It's super smooth (smoothest I've ever owned) and extremely quiet. Except fro the few days right after being lubed, it isn't, however, as fast as my other one. In fact, I haven't cleaned it in a while and it's slower than my unlubed Zhanchi. Weilong's can vary greatly in speed depending on the amount of care you give it. Generally, the gummier ones are slower.

My other one, which is silver, is blazingly fast (comparable to the Gans III or CX3) and I decided not to lube it. On even the best tensions, however, it cuts a MAX of 45 on all sides, sometimes less than that, and in some good cases, a little bit more. The reverse cutting isn't as good, either.

I lube with semi-dry silicone lubcricant, it's bike lube called "White Lightning: Epic Ride (Semi-dry)" and I get it from wal-mart. Most people, (who are probably smarter) use either a dry or wet (or wax?) Silicone lube from the local Lowes or something. So I'm probably weird. It's amazingly fast and very wet at first, and as time passes it acutally slows the cube down to below it's unlubed speed.

Either way, with my fast silver or decent black Weilong, I find it extremely controllable. An unlubed FS is, in my opinion, either faster or less controllable (or both). I find that my unlubed CX3 and Gans III are both faster by great leaps and strides than my Weilongs.

I just use the Weilong becuase I'm so used to it, my hands are well suited for it. I get the best times on a Zhanchi or a Weilong, even though I recently switched to using a CX3 as my main.

Again, I don't know if you can glean any useful information from that! :D

RubiksJake12

None of this information may be relevant to you and I'm not sure if you even are requesting help for a problem, buuuuuuut...

I have two of them. One of them (my main for about a month and a half) is well tensioned, cuts corners at almost any angle from any side (there are some impossible angles, but it's wayy more than 45 degrees) and reverse cuts well. It's impressively better than my other one. It's super smooth (smoothest I've ever owned) and extremely quiet. Except fro the few days right after being lubed, it isn't, however, as fast as my other one. In fact, I haven't cleaned it in a while and it's slower than my unlubed Zhanchi. Weilong's can vary greatly in speed depending on the amount of care you give it. Generally, the gummier ones are slower.

My other one, which is silver, is blazingly fast (comparable to the Gans III or CX3) and I decided not to lube it. On even the best tensions, however, it cuts a MAX of 45 on all sides, sometimes less than that, and in some good cases, a little bit more. The reverse cutting isn't as good, either.

I lube with semi-dry silicone lubcricant, it's bike lube called "White Lightning: Epic Ride (Semi-dry)" and I get it from wal-mart. Most people, (who are probably smarter) use either a dry or wet (or wax?) Silicone lube from the local Lowes or something. So I'm probably weird. It's amazingly fast and very wet at first, and as time passes it acutally slows the cube down to below it's unlubed speed.

Either way, with my fast silver or decent black Weilong, I find it extremely controllable. An unlubed FS is, in my opinion, either faster or less controllable (or both). I find that my unlubed CX3 and Gans III are both faster by great leaps and strides than my Weilongs.

I just use the Weilong becuase I'm so used to it, my hands are well suited for it. I get the best times on a Zhanchi or a Weilong, even though I recently switched to using a CX3 as my main.

Again, I don't know if you can glean any useful information from that! :D

Interesting. The CX3 has always been my favorite as well. I kind of figured I was the odd man out and thought I'd try to jump on the bandwagon. I just can't for the life of me get my cube up to par with how other people describe their Weilongs. I thought maybe a video of me demonstrating it would help people point out what's "wrong" with it.

plusCubed

WCA
2013CIAO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I put 30k into my WeiLong, and it turns at just the right speed. It's very controllable and smooth. I would actually prefer if it were a bit faster, so it is interesting to see that some people have WeiLong's that are uncontrollably fast. I would say there is definitely some variance in these cubes.

aboeglin

I have two of them. One of them (my main for about a month and a half) is well tensioned, cuts corners at almost any angle from any side (there are some impossible angles, but it's wayy more than 45 degrees) and reverse cuts well. It's impressively better than my other one.

Still, I wonder how people measure angles here. Say if you're R face isn't aligned and you want to do a U', 45 degrees mean that the FR edge of your UFR corner piece comes right at the height of the center piece of your F face. This is 45 degrees. I've never seen a cube cutting more than probably 40 degrees, even in videos claiming the cube was cutting 50+.

idreamincubes

Line-to-line is about 37° and I think the case you describe is 45°. I can get almost any good cube to cut 45°. It's all about lubrication and tensioning. My SuLong cuts at the other line-to-line, which is about 53°.

To clarify, here is how I see it:

uIgzzF3.png

// Per.​

Last edited:

ILMZS20

if the weilong is a too fast cube for you then buy a different, slower cube. i dont see the point in buying the fastest cube out there just to make it slow. i would buy a cube that fits my style, not the one that is the "best" for the most people.

ILMZS20

Line-to-line is about 37° and I think the case you describe is 45°. I can get almost any good cube to cut 45°. It's all about lubrication and tensioning. My SuLong cuts at the other line-to-line, which is about 53°.

To clarify, here is how I see it:

uIgzzF3.png

// Per.​

that line to line picture looks like its more than line to line.

idreamincubes

that line to line picture looks like its more than line to line.

In what universe? Here is another picture that might be clearer:

vDkWXHd.png

I rounded the pieces a bit much in the pictures, but the angle when the lines intersect is arctan(2) - arctan(1/2) which is about 36.8698976 degrees.

// Per.​