• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] MGLS Discussion and Help

CLS question: do the individual cases have names like some OLLs?

http://cube.garron.us/MGLS/I.htm

I just finished with the "I" case, this are the names I gave to the patterns. For "Im" I would use the same names.

I0: -

I1: R2-Antisune

I2: Bi Head

I3: Headlight Fish

I4: Plain Fish

I5: Fire Fish

I6: Broken Doublesune

I7: Broken Sune ( U-Symetrie, Windmill, mirrored. Symbol from german history)

I started with learning RU only algorithems though I'm not sure I keep that.

Lucas Garron

Administrator
WCA
2006GARR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
http://cube.garron.us/MGLS/I.htm

I just finished with the "I" case, this are the names I gave to the patterns. For "Im" I would use the same names.

I0: -

I1: R2-Antisune

I2: Bi Head

I3: Headlight Fish

I4: Plain Fish

I5: Fire Fish

I6: Broken Doublesune

I7: Broken Sune ( U-Symetrie, Windmill, mirrored. Symbol from german history)

I started with learning RU only algorithems though I'm not sure I keep that.

Welcome to 2007. ;)

ilikecubing

WCA
2011KULS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Sorry for the Bump..

MGLS-F is quite good and it surely has a lot of potential,also...its average move count for ELS-CLS is 1 move lesser than LS-OLL so it sure is great...

but the major disadvantage I see in using it is forcing a CLS skip is not as easy as forcing an OLL skip(specially with the introduction of RV recently,WV etc.).There are so many variations for OLL such as OLLCP,ELL,ZBLL(which includes COLL,L4C,L3C etc.) and a lot more which help in getting an edge PLL or even getting a skip if you know the right alg for the case.There are no such variations with CLS as far as my knowledge is concerned...correct me if I'm wrong,so you can get a bad PLL sometimes

I wanted to ask if there is any variation/subset of CLS to control the type of PLL we get,like OLLCP for OLL.Has anyone yet thought about it? I assume recognition of such a subset will be tougher than recognizing OLLCPs but has something like this been experimented/tried?

Lucas Garron

Administrator
WCA
2006GARR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Sorry for the Bump..

MGLS-F is quite good and it surely has a lot of potential,also...its average move count for ELS-CLS is 1 move lesser than LS-OLL so it sure is great...

but the major disadvantage I see in using it is forcing a CLS skip is not as easy as forcing an OLL skip(specially with the introduction of RV recently,WV etc.).There are so many variations for OLL such as OLLCP,ELL,ZBLL(which includes COLL,L4C,L3C etc.) and a lot more which help in getting an edge PLL or even getting a skip if you know the right alg for the case.There are no such variations with CLS as far as my knowledge is concerned...correct me if I'm wrong,so you can get a bad PLL sometimes

I wanted to ask if there is any variation/subset of CLS to control the type of PLL we get,like OLLCP for OLL.Has anyone yet thought about it? I assume recognition of such a subset will be tougher than recognizing OLLCPs but has something like this been experimented/tried?

You don't want to force a CLS skip, you want to force an ELS skip. This is easier than in CFOP, and it's more likely to be useful.

Controlling PLL with CLS would probably require a lot of algs, to the point that there are probably more efficient methods to learn instead. There are a few particular tricks for PLL control, but they're variations on particular cases. Anyhow, unless you can achieve some pretty advanced PLL control, the advantage seems unclear to me. PLL is actually a pretty nice step.

So: CLS skip are not as common. That's a feature, because ELS skip + nice CLS is more likely. And PLL control is not as fruitful as some other approaches.

(I'd say to use MGLS-Z or MGLS-P if you want a more natural use of CLS,)

lerenard

Sorry if I shouldn't be posting in an old thread, but here are my thoughts on MGLS:
I started using it with Petrus (EJF2L) and now I'm doing FreeFOP. I do a lot of edge control while I'm making blocks and inserting pairs, so I'll usually end up with a WV/SV case (which I am in the process of learning) and if I haven't finished orienting edges by my last slot + pair I use VHLS. However, I really hate the cases where a corner is connected but on the wrong side of its edge, and so I had the idea to use ELS on only those cases. Someone who knows full MGLS could then do CLS but so far I've just been doing R U' R' followed by WV.
Also, sometimes when I make my initial block I'll find 2 edge pieces that can easily make a pseudo 2x2x3 with a corner missing and then after I have the rest of the F2L I'll come back and do WV (again, those who know CLS would use it).
I don't think these are original ideas but I was wondering what you thought about them and if you could think of any other ways to non-traditionally take advantage of MGLS?

Hazel

Premium Member
Is MGLS worth it?
The edge step is very easy and quick, and CLS algorithms are mostly very fast and recognition is pretty much identical to Winter Variation.
Would it be worth learning CLS and using MGLS whenever the opportunity arises, or should one not bother?

Last edited:

WoowyBaby

WCA
2018ISOM02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Haha, this is just like the "Is ZBLL worth it?" thread posted a couple days ago.

I have experience learning MGLS, I know full ELS and a little bit of CLS, so I think I know what I'm talking about here.
I believe that MGLS is very comparable to F2L->OLL, so if you already know full OLL then its not worth learning full MGLS.
What is worth it is learning some CLS cases in case ELS is already solved, and its very obvious when it is solved, it sticks out.
Random note- easy to recognize is important here

I'd recommend anyone reading this thread to learn all of these. (Apply inverse to see case)
Here are cases that are easy to recognize and helpful, they're worth learning:
ELS-
R' F R F' R U' R'
R' F R F' U' R' F R F'
r U2 r' U2 r U' r' U2 r U2 r'
F R' F' R
r U r' U2 M' U M
CLS-
R2 U2 R2 U' R2 U' R2
R' D' R U' R' D R
y R' D R U' R' D' R
R U' R' U' R U R' U2 R U' R'
R U' R' U R U2 R' U R U' R'
R U R' U' R U' R' U R U' R'
R U R' U2 R U R'

There be some more cases that are useful, see this site for them all.
That's about it, hope that's helpful!

Edit: Why was this merged into this thread?
MODS JUST MADE A 4/6 YEAR BUMP WOW JUST STOPPP JESUS CHRIST DO YOU GUYS EVEN HAVE EYES WHEN YOU ARE MERGING THREADS??? YOUVE MADE SO MANY MISTAKES BEFORE AND ITS ANNOYING, YOU ONLY DO IT IF YOU CAN DO IT RIGHT....

Last edited:

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
Edit: Why was this merged into this thread?
MODS JUST MADE A 4/6 YEAR BUMP WOW JUST STOPPP JESUS CHRIST DO YOU GUYS EVEN HAVE EYES WHEN YOU ARE MERGING THREADS??? YOUVE MADE SO MANY MISTAKES AND ITS ANNOYING, YOU ONLY DO IT IF YOU CAN DO IT RIGHT....
@Brest Can you explain this merge? Perhaps better to leave the thread separate, or if not, when merging, reply and note the reason for the merge so everyone is on the same page.

Edit: I deleted the replies below this unrelated to the content of this thread. Please keep the thread on topic. @WoowyBaby - we will get back with you about the merge.

Last edited: