• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

MF3RS2 versus MF3RS3

Eelephant

Who has got or used them both? How do they compare? The RS2 had been my main, and I loved it, very quiet, smooth and fast. I lost it, however, but by the time I got around to replacing it, the RS3 had come out. I chose to seek out the older version again (stickerless, which a lot of placeswere out of) and am wondering if I should have just grabbed the newer version?

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm curious too, if only because I picked the MF3RS2 for mutliBLD and I have 20 of them. I'm wondering if I were to get more cubes and I got MF3RS3's, how different would they be? Would they look and feel different enough to be distracting? Or are they fairly similar?

GenTheSnail

WCA
2016GEEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I got both of the cubes simultaneously a few weeks ago-- stickerless and un magnetized. cuz im poor

Out of the box, the rs2 felt rather weak, floppy, and the core had that annoying drag that they all have, while the rs3 was stable and didn't have the drag issue. After watching the cubicles review, I did realize that the rs3's stability is due to it's rather blocky feeling.

The rs3 has a dark blue and I think a darker red, but otherwise the shades are identical.
I don't think that the differences are stark enough to pose a distraction. The notable differences are that the rs3 feels slightly larger, a little heavier, and, again, more stable/blocky than the rs2. The plastics feel the mostly same.

Also, I don't have the rs2 right now so I can't make exact comparisons between the two cubes, but the rs3 is my new (?) main partly because it's a great cube and because I really didn't have a main, and the rs2 is my new carry-around-cube-because-I-don't-care-if-it-gets-broken (but my 365 sv2 is still in the running because slow turning is like actually silent).

TheCube4226

WCA
2018SEGA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Who has got or used them both? How do they compare? The RS2 had been my main, and I loved it, very quiet, smooth and fast. I lost it, however, but by the time I got around to replacing it, the RS3 had come out. I chose to seek out the older version again (stickerless, which a lot of placeswere out of) and am wondering if I should have just grabbed the newer version?
I have both. I magnetized the RS3 myself with very light magnets (I wish I used stronger ones) and my RS2 is magnetized by Cubicle Labs. I spring swapped both of them with some spare loose springs I had so they're comparatively quite fast now. I have to say, I greatly prefer the RS2. I used it as my main for 3 months over a GTS2, a GTS3, the GAN X, and the 354.