• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Mental Disorder/Illness

Do you have a mental disorder/illness?

• Confirmed

Votes: 31 17.4%
  • Speculated

Votes: 41 23.0%
  • No

Votes: 106 59.6%

• Total voters

rj

WCA
2015PLAT03
YouTube
Visit Channel
No he wasn't, it was thanks to a rehab center.

Like Frubix said above, cubing really helped me stop gaming. I used to be super addicted, I played competetively, and spent most of my time gaming. When I started to cube, slowly I began to get bored of it, and now I haven't gamed seriously since about 5 months.
Sry, It was 3 or 4 ppl in the comments.

O

Owen

I don't know your specific details, but I think almost everyone can get under one minute.

On a side note, I don't think this is a fair thread-merge. "Do you have a mental illness" is different than autism's effect on cubing speed.

BaMiao

WCA
2013BAHR01
Not all people with Autism have poor motor skills, but I do. I am wondering if I will be able to become fast while having motor skills issues.

Motor skills issues may ultimately affect your speed, depending on severity. However, don't let it hold you back! There is so much to enjoy in cubing besides just getting faster. Learn new methods or make up your own! Try different puzzles, or work on BLD. Getting faster is so overrated. Besides, most of us don't have the motor skills to be as fast as Felix, anyway. You could say we all have motor skills issues, some more than others, but we all find enjoyment out of different things.

YddEd

WCA
2012SHAO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Motor skills issues may ultimately affect your speed, depending on severity. However, don't let it hold you back! There is so much to enjoy in cubing besides just getting faster. Learn new methods or make up your own! Try different puzzles, or work on BLD. Getting faster is so overrated. Besides, most of us don't have the motor skills to be as fast as Feliks, anyway. You could say we all have motor skills issues, some more than others, but we all find enjoyment out of different things.
Fixed.

speedcuber50

I'm rather bright, and tend to have some of the symtoms of Asperger's, but we haven't confirmed it. Otherwise it could just be a case of "giftedness".

speedcuber50

I have moderate to severe (at times). Tourette's syndrome and OCD and cubing makes me forget about both of my disorders! :)
Yeah, I've got those too (although it's not offical, but the symptoms are certainly). Like of got this annoying thing where I sometimes need to mash my hands on the computer keyboard ajsdkfasjdkf (like that LOL!) or sometimes it's just a single key, so I'm having to constantly use the backspace. Although, like you, I never have it with cubing.

<says to judge>"I got a DNF, but it's only because I had to stop halfway through PLL to do a double sexy."

YouTube
Visit Channel
Yeah, I've got those too (although it's not offical, but the symptoms are certainly). Like of got this annoying thing where I sometimes need to mash my hands on the computer keyboard ajsdkfasjdkf (like that LOL!) or sometimes it's just a single key, so I'm having to constantly use the backspace. Although, like you, I never have it with cubing.

<says to judge>"I got a DNF, but it's only because I had to stop halfway through PLL to do a double sexy."

Haha...I love your says to judge thing!

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
(I had the choice between a decade-old bump, making a duplicate thread, or posting in a thread more about cubing.) Since I spend almost every day on this forum I figured maybe people were interested in my background.

Since high school and college I have suffered intermittent bouts of depression which I view as getting worse. For a few weeks in Oct/Nov I was gone from the forum because I was voluntarily in-patient for my mood issues (I was so sad all the time I couldn't work). I was diagnosed with major depressive disorder but I do not know what I really suffer from, just I know it is some kind of mood or anxiety disorder. I have a belief that in my childhood I was happier and now my adult life is doomed to be depressive. The SSRI I am prescribed helps prevent the worst of the depressive episodes (too empty to get out of bed) but it still hasn't helped my mood to where it was before. I tried therapy briefly before and it may have actually made things worse. I am going to try therapy again but it is not easy finding therapists anywhere, especially after the pandemic. Sometimes I feel fine and think I just made up all my mood problems and that nothing is actually wrong.

d---

Somewhere you're not expecting. Look behind you...
(I had the choice between a decade-old bump.... nothing is actually wrong.
Just hold in there bro, you will always make it through
I honestly believe that in the future you will find that what you went through made you a better person and taught you that you can get through anything.

Hope this didn't come across as presumptuous or anything like that

Reactions: qwr