• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Maru CX3 - New 3x3x3

cyoubx

YouTube
Visit Channel
Well, the review is finally up.

Video note:
This was by far the most difficult video I've had to make. I absolutely love the cube, but I didn't want to be overly biased and just give it a favorable review because of my connection with it. Aside from school and work keeping me busy, I wanted to wait for other people's reviews to pop up first. I was scared my review might unintentionally mislead people. I guess what I'm really trying to say is...I was protecting all of you from me :)

After watching numerous reviews, most of them were favorable so I knew I wasn't completely delusional which is when I finally got around to scripting the video. That being said, just like any other product ever made, it's not for everyone. This cube didn't get an A because it's better than a ZhanChi. It got an A because it's better than a ZhanChi for ME.

I tried my very best with this review and the entire process as a whole. I hope you find the video amiable and I thank you all for your enduring support.

-Albert

Last edited by a moderator:

Yellowsnow98

WCA
2013LACE02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Well, the review is finally up.

Video note:
This was by far the most difficult video I've had to make. I absolutely love the cube, but I didn't want to be overly biased and just give it a favorable review because of my connection with it. Aside from school and work keeping me busy, I wanted to wait for other people's reviews to pop up first. I was scared my review might unintentionally mislead people. I guess what I'm really trying to say is...I was protecting all of you from me :)

After watching numerous reviews, most of them were favorable so I knew I wasn't completely delusional which is when I finally got around to scripting the video. That being said, just like any other product ever made, it's not for everyone. This cube didn't get an A because it's better than a ZhanChi. It got an A because it's better than a ZhanChi for ME.

I tried my very best with this review and the entire process as a whole. I hope you find the video amiable and I thank you all for your enduring support.

-Albert

Nice review. I'm not really for crunchy cubes but I may eventually get one because yolo.

Last edited by a moderator:

sneaklyfox

WCA
2013HUNG01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Speed compared to Weilong?

Still deciding between the two. BTW I want "uncontrollable". A cube that flies is a joy to use.

From what I've heard, you'd want the Weilong. I think the CX3 is controllable and I've heard Weilong described as uncontrollable. But I only have the Weilong. I haven't tried CX3 to say with first-hand experience.

kcl

WCA
2013LEJE03
YouTube
Visit Channel
From what I've heard, you'd want the Weilong. I think the CX3 is controllable and I've heard Weilong described as uncontrollable. But I only have the Weilong. I haven't tried CX3 to say with first-hand experience.

Honestly the weilong isn't uncontrollable once lubed and tightened. The CX3 can go incredibly fast as well. Really I'd say get both if possible. The weilong may be a tiny bit faster; but the cx3 is hands down one of the best cubes I've ever used.

windhero

WCA
2013COCO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Honestly the weilong isn't uncontrollable once lubed and tightened. The CX3 can go incredibly fast as well. Really I'd say get both if possible. The weilong may be a tiny bit faster; but the cx3 is hands down one of the best cubes I've ever used.

This depends how you lube it. There isnt a cube that is uncontrollable if you fill it with 50k. A WeiLong with the right amount of around wt 30k diff oil is definitely not easily controllable. HOWEVER! I've noticed that a center piece modded zhanchi "flies" very freely and kinda feels very silky smooth when turning. With the WeiLong it kinda feels like you have it under control some times but then you dont. Both of my cpm milky zhanchis just turn very freely.

MarcelP

WCA
2012POOT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
The CX3 is my main and I used it in competition allready. Indeed it is more controlable and what I like the most is that I have a better look ahead on it. The MoYu Weilong is also a great cube and for sure not worse than the CX3. The sound gets better after 2000 solves or so. It needs lube more often. I use silicone weekly and Maru lube daily. My MoYu get their lube maybe once a month and stay super fast as allways.

Last edited:

yockee

YouTube
Visit Channel
Just receive mine, the design looks good and feels like, to my opinion, a weilong/lingyun. I don't like it, the pieces look like they haven't been molded properly, some of the corner pieces don't match alignement (the 3 pieces when assemble are not flat), it feels really unstable maybe due to the center being smaller than the other piece, and it is hard to tension, I like my cube looser and I can't put it to the tension I like without piece popping out (problably due to the center again). Good work Cyoux, sorry that Maru did a poor job, again my opinion, on you cube.

You must like your cubes SUPER loose if you need it so loose that it pops. This cube, like the WeiLong, should never pop.

MarcelP

WCA
2012POOT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
You must like your cubes SUPER loose if you need it so loose that it pops. This cube, like the WeiLong, should never pop.

I have the Cx3 so thight that 45 degrees corner cut is not easy. Yet I get still a pop every 100 solves or so.. I never get pops on Dayans and Weilongs so I must say the CX3 is more prone to pops than I was expecting. About the same as with my Fangshi Shuangren V1. Maybe I just need to tighten a slight bit more.

yockee

YouTube
Visit Channel
I've contacted fasttech so many times without results; Did they reply with something like this?

"Thank for your interest. We have added it to our to-do list and it will be updated once it is here. But it takes some time."

That's what they answered to me 7 weeks ago when I asked if they could sell their shengshou products separately, not in bulks of 2x2-5x5 and so on. They still have not changed it and they have all of those cubes stocked.

I've also just yesterday, asked them to sell SS stuff separately, as well as the CX3 and the SS 10x10 when it comes out.

I have the Cx3 so thight that 45 degrees corner cut is not easy. Yet I get still a pop every 100 solves or so.. I never get pops on Dayans and Weilongs so I must say the CX3 is more prone to pops than I was expecting. About the same as with my Fangshi Shuangren V1. Maybe I just need to tighten a slight bit more.

Wow, that's crazy! It shouldn't pop!

cubizh

WCA
2014GOME07
YouTube
Visit Channel
What kind of piece(s) usually pop out, and doing what type of movement?

radmin

WCA
2010HARD02
My cx3 has gotten better and better since I got it.
Out of the box it was a little rough. It felt a little squeaky (like my x-cube4). I ended up removing some flashing from the centers. For lube I put two drops of maru lube in each side. I planned to try Jigaloo if the maru lube didn't help it wasn't needed.
I've gotten two 16.xx on it, a personal best.

I also have control problems on the weilong. The d layer wants to wiggle on me.

BaMiao

WCA
2013BAHR01
I've gotten pops with the cx3. It usually happens when I try to push the reverse corner cutting too hard and the edge in the back pops out, sometimes with catastrophic results. This becomes less common with tighter tensions.

Overall, I love the cube. I still prefer the feel of my weilong, but the cx3 is at least on par with any other cube out there.