• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[MarcelP] Last Layer trainer

MarcelP

WCA
2012POOT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I released a new version of my Scrambler:

Download scrambler_v2_3_0.jar here

The UI is almost the same.
ScramblerV1_0_2-01.png

Except is has more options:
ScramblerV1_0_2-02.png

It shows the solution in the title:
ScramblerV1_0_2-03.png

In the text files you can replace an alg with your own. You can give it a different name. And best of all, you can turn algs 'on' or 'off'. For example when you want to train just 4 new learned algs, set all to 'FALSE' and set the ones you want to train to 'TRUE'.
ScramblerV1_0_2-04.png

No confusion on what alg you are traning:
ScramblerV1_0_2-05.png

Turn options on or off:
ScramblerV1_0_5-00.png

ScramblerV1_0_5-01.png

ScramblerV1_0_5-02.png

ScramblerV1_0_8-01.png

I have just started to learn the OLL's. And I have found that it is quite hard to set up the cube again and again to the OLL that you want to learn. So I have made a small program where you can enter the OLL's that you want to train and then execute them.

Download scrambler_v1_0.jar here

This is how it looks:

Scrambler-01.png

If you want to get a hint of the solution just move your mouse over the sramble:
Scrambler-02.png

When you run the program, you will find a algs.txt file. There are my algs that I know so far. You can replace them with your own OLL algs that you allready know.
Scrambler-03.png

I made it just for myself but decided that other people might find it interesting though..

Last edited:

omer

The program looks nice, but all it does is reverse the algorithm in the txt file right? Or does it throw random OLL's at you? What exactly does it do?
Prisma Puzzle Timer has a feature which all the scrambles it gives you are scrambles that take you to the OLL step, a random OLL so you can train on recognition.

Anyway I recommend when practicing a single OLL, to just do it on the last layer without caring about what pieces are on it, if you see that after the OLL the 2 bottom layers are still intact you probably did it right. After a few times you'll also see that it makes a pattern (First time gets you to some OLL, second time gets you to another OLL, and third time gets you back to solved or something like that), you can use that pattern to check if you did the OLL right.

MarcelP

WCA
2012POOT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Prisma Puzzle Timer has a feature which all the scrambles it gives you are scrambles that take you to the OLL step, a random OLL so you can train on recognition.

Yes, I use PPTimer. But, I do not know 57 OLL's. So training with PPT OLL-mode is far from effective for me. Yes, this program just gives you OLL in reverse scrambles. This way you can have random scrambles of the OLL's that you know. I much shorter time you can train recognition and execution. Well at least, for me it is effective.

BenVdd

So , as far as I understand :

1) You give the program the Algs you want to practice.
2) It gives you random scrambles that put it in one of the desired states (the ones you are trying to learn/train)
3) ???
4) Profit!

:)

This is great to learn and practice OLL's but I think it falls short on the Recognition training because when you do the reversed alg you kinda know wich case it will be without looking.

But i like it! :)

MarcelP

WCA
2012POOT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
This is great to learn and practice OLL's but I think it falls short on the Recognition training because when you do the reversed alg you kinda know wich case it will be without looking.

But i like it! :)

Yes, that is true. But I don't mind that downside. ;)

Really, you could use this program to train pretty much any LL subset, such as PLL, ZBLL, etc?

Yup, you could practice any LL alg that you put in the file.

ThomasJE

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
Nice! I'll use this for learning the rest of the PLL's. Could I suggest that you rename it something along the lines of 'MarcelP's Alg Trainer'? Also, a couple of things I'd like to see:
- Different categories for different substeps (OLL, PLL, CMLL etc.)
- Saving of times (like PPT)
- Have the timer stop when you press the spacebar, not when you release it (again like PPT)
- Custom names for algs

MarcelP

WCA
2012POOT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Btw, if you want me to add a different LL set. For example ABCLL. Sent me a PM with:

solutionsABCLL.add(new Solution("F R etc ","ABCLL1", true));
solutionsABCLL.add(new Solution("U D etc ","ABCLL2", true));

It is such a drag for me to add all those and I do not use them personally. So if you PM me your list, then it is a few minutes work for me to make a new version.