• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Making an Adjustable Core for the V Cube 5

JLarsen

Premium Member
WCA
2009LARS03
YouTube
Visit Channel
For now I'm going to keep this as a written tutorial, with pictures. Once I get my new cube I'll make a video demonstrating every part of the mod, like the Pi mod video does.

Step 1 - Remove the center pieces from the original core

A)Cut off the head of the rivet
B)Cut through the inner core
C)Pry the crap out of the rivet and pull it out of the core

I would recommend A or B, but if materials are short, give C a shot, I can't give any testimonial to it's effectiveness. Something to be aware of option B; this requires pulling the rivet out of the extensions of the core, which will be left in the center pieces after the cut. MAKE SURE YOU DO NOT DAMAGE THE CENTER PIECES.

Step 2 - Cut off/clean up the extensions

I'm referring to the extensions that go into the core. An advantage to option B on step 1, is that the extension are already cut off. If you chose another option, then you must cut off the extension pieces.

Cleaning up: The screws need to go through the extensions pieces. The extensions are not bored all the way through, and will not be wide enough to let most screws through it. Bore it out with a screwdriver bit, and then glue it into the center pieces. The purpose of preserving this piece is to add stability to the core.

Step 3 - Picking Hardware/Assembling the Core

Ignore the springs here. I tried after market ones, not so hot. Old type a's work phenomenally. The screw on the left is the V cube rivet, the screw I used is next to it for size comparison. The diameter is about ~1mm more than the V cube rivet.

Picking Hardware:This step is a lot of trial and error. For screws I used 1 1/8 inch long scews, and for springs I used old type a screws, with no modification. The reason for the longer screw is that a standard 3x3 screw will not quite make it to the now shorter core.

Get a screw that had a wide head This was an issue I had. Look at the size of the head I used. The screws I bought would recess into the core, as the head on them was smaller than the diameter of the center pieces. This didn't give the cube a "max out" point, and if you pulled hard, you could pop the thing like a loose 3x3. Not good. Now I added washers, but that raised the head of the screws to the point where I could not place the center caps over them! I had to recess the washers into the center pieces, which so happens to cut right into the joint in the center pieces. Not a good idea.

Getting the right screws from your hardware store Grab the rivet out of your Cube, or even better, grab an old type a screw from the set you bought. (I really, really advise buying like 5 from c4y, they prove invaluable in modding cubes.) Ask for an assistant to try and find you a screw that is similiar in threading, but slightly longer. They will almost surely not be able to match it, but they can come close.

Use the c4y nylon coreThis core is unthreaded, and more acceptant to different threading types. This way if your screw is a little bit off, it doesn't matter. The core will conform.

Assembling the core: You're not going to be able to figure out much in terms of tension without the cube, but this would be a good time to make sure none of the springs are catching/squeaking, and that every side is moving smoothly. If a side is stiff, check that the screw can easily fit in the extension, the ends of the springs are not sharp, and catching, and maybe add some lube in there. If you have decided to use custom springs prepare for a pain in the ass.

Step 4 - Assembling and Tensioning the Cube

Unlike a Diy you will find there is a more specific window for functional tension. If it is too tight, it will move horribly. Too loose and it will pop. Using old type a screws, with the right heads will make this step infinitely easier, as you will not have to trim any springs, or add in/recess washers into the core. Set the core somewhat loose to make assembling easier.

You'll be surprised how well the cube works! Especially for those of you with dead v5 cores, as mine was, this is an excellent way to save yourself $44 to get an entire new v cube.

I have a new white v5 on the way, and I bought it as a replacement. I no longer need the core obviously, and I'm planning on modding it, and reselling it brand new on an auction. If you are interested send me a PM early and I might give you some special treatment. State why you'd like the core, because some people could use it more than others. If you have 10 V5's, you'll be fine. If you were like me, with one cube that was nearly unusable, I feel for you, and I'd like to help you.:) That is why I made this tutorial instead of just keeping it to myself and pawning all of you to make some quick money.:)

I hope you found this tutorial helpful, and I'd be happy to answer any questions you have. Eventually I'll make a complete video tutorial as well, but this seems adequate for the moment. If there are any typos or major fails or anything let me know, my typing is quite atrocious. (I've payed a couple visits to "strangle puzzle.com":p Thanks for reading.

-Josh

OH! I almost forgot. Here are some brief demonstrations of the mod in my puzzle;

Last edited by a moderator:

Gurplex

Banned
OMG i was just searching for something like this!
thanks so much.. i was about to experiment on one of my cores lol

Gurplex

Banned
do you think it will work for V cube 7 with longer screws? or is the core too weak?

JLarsen

Premium Member
WCA
2009LARS03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Well actually, the core is most likely too small. I would have to get a different sized core. Let me take a peak into the core right now. (I'm actually getting a new core for my 7x7 because mine is too loose =P)

The core of the 7x7 is WAYYYYYY too big for just a c4y core. *Starts thinking* I bet you I could come up with something if I wanted to enough. That's how I found this mod out =P.

piemaster

lol at step 1c. pry the crap out of the rivet and pull it out of the core?

YouTube
Visit Channel
Hmm, I might have to try this sometime. But is the core also too big for a V-Cube 6? Mine is really loose & I'd love to do something like this. If the core is do big, do you think it could be sanded down?

JLarsen

Premium Member
WCA
2009LARS03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hmm, I might have to try this sometime. But is the core also too big for a V-Cube 6? Mine is really loose & I'd love to do something like this. If the core is do big, do you think it could be sanded down?

Well the thing is we are *replacing* the core. Meaning the core is too big to replace with a 3x3 core. Sadly this mod won't work for anything but the V5, as the 3x3 core barely was large enough for that.

JLarsen

Premium Member
WCA
2009LARS03
YouTube
Visit Channel
yeah, that does suck. lol adjustable v-7 FTW!!!

Well there is a small chance, that if I can get the rivet out without damaging the core, I could get a *really* big screw and just run it into the existing core, but who knows how well that would hold. Nonetheless, I think I'll try it out, as I will have a spare core soon:p, and that spells trouble.

Edit: Melting the inside threading of the existing core? 0_0 Hehehe