• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Making an Adjustable Core for the V Cube 5

JLarsen

Premium Member
WCA
2009LARS03
YouTube
Visit Channel
lol yeah. I'm sure you can figure it out. didn't he just pry them out? doesn't seem like it would work though. lol

Exactly! Especially on a 7x7 0_o. I'm def going to try this if the new core I'm getting isn't up to my par. My game plan is to try and cut off the rivet head, then heat up the rivet itself to slightly soften the plastic, then try and somehow get a screw of my choice in there. oooorrrrrrrrrr I could take a 3x3 core, I could cut up a couple of them, and make an elongated spindle to every side of the core. (lol)

calekewbs

WCA
2011PUGH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
lol well you did a 3x3 core for the 5x5. extending it seems pretty logical since you know the dimensions are right, just not the length. (but thats if you cant get the rivets out)

ccchips296

YouTube
Visit Channel
heyy so what did you use to recess the washers in to the centre pieces? (like, what tools) does the fact it goes in to the joint matter too much?

ccchips296

YouTube
Visit Channel
well, i finished the mod....but now my cube is REEALLY bad! arghh...i cant see whats wrong, but now its really clicky and strange + sides can lock up from nothing, where im only turning one side. Ive tried with lots of different tensions but cant seem to get it good...how did you set your tension? just trial and error?

LarsN

WCA
2008NIEL01
I tried this some time ago. I used your option B to get the rivets out, but I just can't manage to get the extension of the core out of the centerpiece. How do I do that?

JLarsen

Premium Member
WCA
2009LARS03
YouTube
Visit Channel
heyy so what did you use to recess the washers in to the centre pieces? (like, what tools) does the fact it goes in to the joint matter too much?
I used a dremil. As long as you can't like see through the joint I think it should be fine. I wouldn't want to drop my v5 though lol.

well, i finished the mod....but now my cube is REEALLY bad! arghh...i cant see whats wrong, but now its really clicky and strange + sides can lock up from nothing, where im only turning one side. Ive tried with lots of different tensions but cant seem to get it good...how did you set your tension? just trial and error?
Mine was horrible at first. Perhaps your springs are catching? Maybe the extensions are locking up?

I tried this some time ago. I used your option B to get the rivets out, but I just can't manage to get the extension of the core out of the centerpiece. How do I do that?
I use a dremil for like....everything =P.

I love seeing innovation like this (even if it doesn't make it better), my hat off to you good sir!

Why thanks! =]

Last edited:

LarsN

WCA
2008NIEL01
I tried this mod and I thought I would share my experience:

First I pulled on each center piece, in different directions until the rivet snapped. This left the core intact, but also left the tip of the rivets in the extension of the core. Because of this I couldn't use the extensions to stabilize the center pieces, instead I used a lot of washers.
I found some screws that were 3.0 mm in diameter and 30 mm long. I used the original springs because they hadn't weakened as I thought. Instead they had grinded into the center piece, so I placed a small washer between the centerpiece and the springs.
As a core I used the orange c4y core.

Result: It took hours to get the tension right, which was partly because I had to experiment to find the correct amount of washers to put between the core and the center pieces. The cube now feels almost as good as an original Vcube5. It locks up a bit more, but I might need to do a bit more fine tuning.

If your Vcube has gotten too loose, than you might aswell try this mod. Your Vcore is ruined anyway. It'll only cost you a few bucks and a few hours.

JLarsen

Premium Member
WCA
2009LARS03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Oh wow great idea on the washers for stability. Thanks for the feedback!

I don't recommenced using the original springs though, because the problem is that they are stiff. Now recently with my second core I've modded, I found that old type a springs were too soft, but I attribute this to the fact that the diameter of the screw head was smaller than hole in the center piece, thus the screws could recess into the core. The magic combination I found for my screw type, was a slightly shortened old type a spring, and 5 small washers for spacing. It is now better than the new v cube 5's for sure, and slightly better than the old ones.

LarsN

WCA
2008NIEL01
I think I will try to change the springs then. I've got the springs, but I'll have to find some small washers first.

I have the same problem with small screw heads. I tried placing a washer between the screw head and the center piece, but then the springs lost all their tension. The solution could be the small washers as you describe, but as I said I currently don't have any :( (they didn't have such small washers at my store)

amostay2004

WCA
2009SWEE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
So I've managed to cut off the center pieces along with the extension of the core that is attached inside the center piece.

But I really can't seem to get the rivet off! Trying to pry it off from the head just seems to destroy the plastic of the center piece..

Any advice?

Hakan

WCA
2008DENI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
As I have previously stated, use a wire cutter. Just hold the head of the rivet and just pull it off.

I managed to make a v-7 core adjustable this way. It turns very nicely, it still pops (though not nearly as often as before).

I also made the v-6 core adjustable, though it needs a lot of work seen the fact that I modded it improperly, the pins are no longer there and I just can't seem to find the perfect tension for it in general.

Also, you're lucky if you didn't sand your corners with memyself&pi's mod. It makes the outer layers feel a lot looser than the inner layers, cause the surface on which the plastic grinds is a lot thinner. To compensate this problem, you will have to set the cube tighter, which results in the inner layers being too tight.

HASH-CUBE

YouTube
Visit Channel
i tried the mod, i cut one column of the 6 in the core, and tried to remove the rivet out, but i just can't, it's too hard, really i tried everything but it wont go out

did i do something wrong?