• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Magnets Discussion and Help thread

Gerry

Well, my Gan Skewb was just sitting there taunting me, so I had to try. The GES v5 nuts do fit in the Gan 356M and the center caps will still fit. Also, the GES v4 springs fit on the Skewb. I only have 4 springs with the Skewb, so I can't do a full conversion to see how the 356 M feels with all GES v5 springs.

Tabe

WCA
2017TABA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Anyone know a reliable place to get magnets in bulk? TC and SCS sell with glue and tweezers, or just a few at a time. I'm thinking like 100 of 2 to 4 different strengths. I want to experiment. Not going to use superglue. Something medium strength. Strong enough to hold magnets in place, but easy to pop back out and not damage the plastic. Maybe like the flour water glue recipe. Should hold long enough to see if the idea works, but not permanent if the experiment fails.
Superglue is the best option for glue.

As for magnets, Gaussboys are the best place to buy from to be certain you're getting what you ordered. Amazon and other places sell magnets but you will almost certainly get undersized magnets (4x1.7mm instead of 4x2mm) and misgraded (n35 instead of n50, etc). With Gaussboys, you will get exactly what you ordered. They aren't cheap but they are by far the best.

eyeoh

I'm not in America, so all my magnets have been purchased through AliExpress or ebay. Based on my calliper measurements (which I've checked for accuracy) each "N35 4x2mm" stack I have tends to average out between 1.75 mm and 1.80 mm in thickness each, and 4.0 mm in diameter.

I've never had a problem with the magnets being too weak in my cubes - my DIY-magnetised cubes have functioned just fine both at home and in competition (2x2, 3x3, 4x4, OH, 3bld, mbld at comp, and 5x5 & megaminx only at home so far). Thinner/weaker magnets aren't necessarily a bad thing - it's easier to add more magnets than it is to remove glued-in ones (even when acetone is on hand).

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
Anyone know a reliable place to get magnets in bulk? TC and SCS sell with glue and tweezers, or just a few at a time. I'm thinking like 100 of 2 to 4 different strengths. I want to experiment. Not going to use superglue. Something medium strength. Strong enough to hold magnets in place, but easy to pop back out and not damage the plastic. Maybe like the flour water glue recipe. Should hold long enough to see if the idea works, but not permanent if the experiment fails.

cubicle sells 26 for a dollar
pretty good pricing and you know what you're getting. plus you can combine it with other orders to get over the free shipping mark

Gerry

I don't know what strength those are at the cubicle. I got N50 4x2 somewhere else and they are way too strong when added to the rs3m 2020. If they had a choice of strengths I would try them all. I'm just trying to get a variety so I don't have to pay shipping every time I dislike one. Shipping to Canada is more than the magnets.

SH03L4C3

The orange centerpiece from your main 3x3
I don't know what strength those are at the cubicle. I got N50 4x2 somewhere else and they are way too strong when added to the rs3m 2020. If they had a choice of strengths I would try them all. I'm just trying to get a variety so I don't have to pay shipping every time I dislike one. Shipping to Canada is more than the magnets.
I found out the measurements and pmed you a while back..., check that

edit: I went back in the pms and found it.
N48 magnets

1/8 by 1/16

Last edited:

PiKeeper

WCA
2021KLIN02
Can someone tell me what magnets I should use for an aosu wr? I got it as a mystery gift but don't know which magnets to get. I was thinking about the rs3m magnet kit but wasn't sure if they were good for a 4x4.

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
Can someone tell me what magnets I should use for an aosu wr? I got it as a mystery gift but don't know which magnets to get. I was thinking about the rs3m magnet kit but wasn't sure if they were good for a 4x4.
Rs3m magnet kit won’t be enough for a 4x4, and doesn’t come with glue. I would advise just buying them from amazon.
What strength would you want?

SH03L4C3

The orange centerpiece from your main 3x3
Rs3m magnet kit won’t be enough for a 4x4, and doesn’t come with glue. I would advise just buying them from amazon.
What strength would you want?
you can buy more than one (they are cheap) and any superglue works (you can get those from home depot for only $3 if you dont have any, so overall cheaper than getting the kit from amazon)

I'll trade with my friend the WRM 2020 in the future and mod it, which size of magnets and magnetic power should I get ?
BTW, I'm Vietnamese and I'm not good in grammar so, if you find any mistakes in my post, tell me so I can improve my grammar. Thanks a lot !

Fast Tim

I recently got the MGC 4x4, and I found that the magnets are too strong. It kinda slowed me down. It isn’t a big problem and I can still use it well after adding some fast lubes, but just asking, anyone found the same problem?

Edit:
Seems like someone don’t understand what I’m talking about. I mean, I think the magnets of the MGC are too strong and I’m just asking if anyone feels the same. I’ve watched reviews and they all think the magnet strength is ok.

Last edited by a moderator:

CubeRed

Seems like someone don’t understand what I’m talking about. I mean, I think the magnets of the MGC are too strong and I’m just asking if anyone feels the same. I’ve watched reviews and they all think the magnet strength is ok.
I think they're fine and adds stability to the cube (It is a 4x4, after all) but I have noticed it is pretty strong. If it bothers your turning a lot just buy another cube with lighter magnets or change them out.

povlhp

That is why some use the YJ mini. Inner magnets are weaker. And it is smaller to match the weak hands better.

Phalentin

Has anyone tried putting Maglev into the CH WeiLong WR M 2021 yet? I think, that i've seen a post of someone putting RS3M 2021 Maglev into this cube but i can't find it anymore. Could this combination be any good?