• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Letter Pairs for BLD

WCA
2017BAIS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
This thread is mainly for Blindfolded Cubers.
Please share any interesting/special letter pairs that you specifically use during your Blind solves.
Though, I myself have a list of the possible 552 letter pairs, but I still want to know and use the letter pairs that you guys use.

WCA
2017BAIS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Why do you need 552 if 23*23=529 is enough?
Also this
There are 24 letters in my letter scheme i.e., from A-X.
Each letter combines with all other 24 letters.
So we get pairs like this-
AA AB AC .......AX
BA BB BC........ BX
CA CB CC ....... CX
And continues like this until X.
SO, each letter forms 24 pairs and there are 24 letters.
Total number of possible letter pairs= 24x24=576 pairs
Now, we don't need pairs like AA BB CC ..... XX.
There are 24 such pairs.
So the actual numbers of pairs is
576-24=552 letter pairs.

BTW, how did you get 23x23=529 ???

WCA
2017BAIS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
You don't need a letter for your buffer sticker, so you really only need 23 letters (23 for wings and centers, 22 for edges, and 21 for corners).
I know I don't need my buffer stickers, my edge/midge buffer has two stickers U and K ,wings have one i.e., u and corners three, A, E and R.
So during my corner memo I will never have pairs with A,E or R.But I might have U and K,.
Similarly,during edge memo I will never have pairs with U and K. But I might have pairs with A, E or R.
So in reality, you will never have specific letters during memorization of a specific kind of piece(like for corners), but you might have those letters during during the memorization of another kind of piece( like for edges).
So you actually have 552 letter pairs during your blind solve instead of 529.

pglewis

WCA
2016LEWI07
Now, we don't need pairs like AA BB CC ..... XX.
There are 24 such pairs.

I would argue that you do need those 24 due to parity. Maybe not for 3bld, which is short and fast enough to probably just remember where parity is.. but for mbld I don't see a way around needing unambiguous images for parity cases A-X. I decided to just use double letters AA-XX because it seemed an easy way to unambiguously signal parity, but for people just using single letters I'd argue it's still a letter pair, "A[space]", from an image collection standpoint because you can't confuse parity with any of your other pairs.

So my current math says 564 images for OP/M2/speffz. 24*24 = 576, minus 12 for impossible edge/corner buffer combinations: [AK, EK, RK, AU, EU, RU] [KA, KE, KR, UA, UE, UR].