• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[WR] Leandro Martín López 29.27 Megaminx Average

Jack314

It's hard to tell for certain that it was turned more than the allowable limit.

Imsoosm

If that solve was just a +2, pretty sure it would still be WR, but not sub-30. If the delegates find out, would they remove the WR?

DynaXT

WCA
2021PORT02

If you look closely, he made a turn during inspection of his first solve. I don't know if this was intentional or just because of picking up the cube (or dodecahedron), but if that solve does get DNF'ed, the average would be 30.89 and only WR2.

Upon further inspection, it looks like he accidentally started to make a turn, realized about halfway through the turn, and moved it back to the original position. The camera's position makes it hard to tell if it went past the limit, like Jack314 said, but from what I saw I think the time should remain valid until we know if it truly did go more than halfway.

If that solve was just a +2, pretty sure it would still be WR, but not sub-30. If the delegates find out, would they remove the WR?

Since when were +2's being mentioned? If a full turn is made during inspection, the solve is DNFed. That's that. And yes, the delegates and/or WRT would DNF and it would no longer be WR (I calculated, it would be a 30.89 average, 0.5 slower than WR)

YouTube
Visit Channel
Upon further inspection, it looks like he accidentally started to make a turn, realized about halfway through the turn, and moved it back to the original position. The camera's position makes it hard to tell if it went past the limit, like Jack314 said, but from what I saw I think the time should remain valid until we know if it truly did go more than halfway.
I watched the video in slo-mo and it did seem like the turn was accidental. But I can't tell weather he passed the limit. To close to tell. We need another angle.

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
“It violates regulations, but that doesn’t matter”
well the WCA delegate approved it and it's still up on their site. https://forum.worldcubeassociation.org/t/wr-leandro-martin-lopez-29-27-megaminx-average/21868/3

• A3c) The competitor may pick up the puzzle during inspection.
    • A3c1) The competitor must not apply moves during inspection. Penalty: disqualification of the attempt (DNF).
    • A3c2) If the parts of the puzzle are not fully aligned, then the competitor may align the faces, as long as misalignments stay within the limits of Regulation 10f.
    • A3c3) The competitor may reset the timer before the start of the solve.
    • A3c4) For Square-1, if the use of a thin object inside the puzzle has been enforced by the organization team (see Regulation A2b1), the competitor may remove the object from the puzzle during inspection.
It's not clear if doing half a turn and then turning it back counts as a move. The puzzle was aligned so c2 doesn't apply.

Last edited:

xyzzy

It's hard to tell for certain that it was turned more than the allowable limit.
The allowable limit is zero. It's not 45 degrees, it's not 36 degrees, it's 0.

You're not supposed to turn the layers by any amount at all, with the only official concession being that you're allowed to align the layers if the puzzle was delivered to you with the layers misaligned. Unofficially, it's understood that unintentional small partial turns happen all the time, and delegates (rightfully) turn a blind eye to those; it'd be wasting competition resources to DNF people for accidentally turning a layer by 1 degree, for example.

Well, I am happy that he got a WR, but it left me unsatisfied. Similiar incidents happened a lot in the past and every time the competitor got a DNF. May I know what is the reasoning behind this decision? Shouldn't they treat all people the same?

Our mission is to have more competitions in more countries with more people and more fun, under fair and equal conditions.
WCA Mission Statement