• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Largest number of cubes possible in old-style multi attempt

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
I know Maskow did a 150 cube attempt about 7 years ago. And I know Graham has topped that since then. But has anyone else besides Graham done over 150 cubes before?

Edit: I guess you said earlier that Yucheng Chen and Tom have both done 150+ cubes. How big were their biggest attempts so far?

sigalig

WCA
2016SIGG01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I know Maskow did a 150 cube attempt about 7 years ago. And I know Graham has topped that since then. But has anyone else besides Graham done over 150 cubes before?

Edit: I guess you said earlier that Yucheng Chen and Tom have both done 150+ cubes. How big were their biggest attempts so far?
Hey Mike.

Tom tried 200 *twice*, a couple of years ago, actually before I even tried 160. His best result out of the two was 162/200 in over 12 hours.

As far as I know, Yucheng's biggest attempt was 100. He tried it twice, first getting this, and then this.

Shivam has also tried 100, getting 87/100 just like Yucheng.

So as of right now, I've done the biggest ever attempt by 50 cubes. I also have the top 3 best points results at 154/160, 189/200, and 238/250. Tom has the fourth best points result with 162/200, and Maskow has the fifth best result with his 125/150.

abunickabhi

WCA
2013GHOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think that we may have forgotten, due to amazing feats by people like Graham, that even the best people slow down as the numbers go way up. I really doubt Graham could do 2000 cubes in as little as 5 days. I think it might take him as much as 2 weeks. And with the old-style rules, you'd have slightly less than 2 weeks to do an attempt (10 minutes per cube time limit).

I have had some time to give to this topic and have started to believe that 2000 is actually possible.
I think a person who can do 50 cube multis sub-hour comfortably should be the one trying this. (There are 10+ people capable of it as of 2023)

There are a lot of factors which can dampen or taper off the upper limit of 2000:
  1. Memory capacity: Assuming we have 2000+ rooms ready, there is still a capacity to our retention
  2. Time and human body essentials: Given the brain intensive task, sleeping more than 12 hours will be a good idea. Also doing a review of the packs of yesterday will be necessary as 5 pass memo does not guarantee retentivity over 12 hours of sleep
  3. Concentration: Unless the person is a saint, there will be some things to tend to on a daily basis, which will distract the person. Even if they do not do the task and just focus on memoing
  4. Motivation: This task is energy intensive. Even if there is monetary benefits and cheering up from the speedcubing community, advising the body to undergo this will be hard. Ultra-Marathon runs will help as body requires similar mentality there.
  5. Confusing review systems: Keep track of the review system will be more of a pain than retaining the memo, once the memo is complete then the confusion no longer exists. But the memo period will be hard to do, as we have to jump between new information periods and review of old information periods.
  6. Cube arrangement too large: Arranging 2000 cubes on multiple tables will be a big task. A few helpers will be needed to navigate between tables. The helper should be allowed to say that this table has these cube numbers.

FenTheGoat

YouTube
Visit Channel
If we’re going complete physical limit (not biological limits, but physics itself) then this is my guess:

so let’s assume 1 solve takes up 1gb of storage space, and assuming you know nothing else but mbld, and you were given eternity, the physical (not biological) would be 2.5 million cubes (the brain has 2.5 petabytes of storage space)

How long would this take?

let’s assume a top BLD silver can average 15 seconds per cube, that gives us around 434 days of straight MBLD. (not accounting for scrambling time) And while we’re slapping all these, admittedly Insane assumptions, let’s assume our little test dummy never messes up, doesn’t need to sleep, eat or drink, and doesn’t succumb to fatigue.

This mass of cubes would be over 7.6 square kilometers.

Last edited: