• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

J-Cube - 3x3x3 Cube Simulator - Early Stages Video - Suggestions for content wanted

JF1zl3

WCA
2013REUS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hello everyone. This is a video of the 3x3x3 Simulator I am programming. It is in it's very early stages.

[youtubehd]Sok0yTeEWVQ[/youtubehd]

So there are 3 working modes, Keyboard, Typing, and Random. Mouse and Sequencer don't work because I haven't programmed them yet.

Keyboard turns your keyboard into a map of every possible basic move (no Wide turns, no M S or E turns) in which every key on the middle row does clockwise of every turn, every move on the upper row does every turn counter clockwise, and the lower row does all 180 degree turns.

Typing let's you manually enter the move you would like to do. So if you wanted to do a D' you would type in D'. It can handle multiple moves before inputing it, but each move must be separated by a space.

Random just randomly scrambles the cube with no bias to any one move. Some ideas here of ways to make this mode more interesting (such as controlled random moves, like setting it to <R, U, L> instead of all of the moves.)

Mouse lets you drag certain sides of the cube around, but it doesn't work yet.

Sequence will be very interesting, it lets you type in a set of moves and you can repeat the sequence X amount of times to explore things. I will have many things in here, like setting up inverses and multiple sequences. This could be good for commutators. Does not work yet either.

If anyone has any ideas for new modes please let me know and I will attempt to code it in.

The language I am using is Dark Basic.

There currently is no download for it yet, but if enough people want to try this extremely young version, I can put one up.

JF1zl3

WCA
2013REUS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Cube sizes, probably not, I would have to completely uproot the entire design... Maybe, I'm getting ideas now lol.

Timer, yes, I haven't gotten to that yet, but it is definitely planned.

Move counter for sure, good idea.

Solver I have thought about, it would have to be a normal solver, not optimal, because I have no idea how to create an optimal solver, but I have a few ideas for a normal CFOP solver or something like that.

JF1zl3

WCA
2013REUS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I can easily add wide M E and S, I think I'll do that next.

Good idea with the map. However, I do not know how to fit M S E and Wide turns into the keyboard map, I have used every normal key. Perhaps the number keys.

ben1996123

Banned
WCA
2009WHIT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I can easily add wide M E and S, I think I'll do that next.

Good idea with the map. However, I do not know how to fit M S E and Wide turns into the keyboard map, I have used every normal key. Perhaps the number keys.

on my sim, I added \ for M and / for M', but S and E are pretty much useless though

JF1zl3

WCA
2013REUS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think numpad might be good for M S and E, but not everyone has a number pad... However like Kirjava said, even that won't be very good for LSE.

Btw, Typing can now do wide turns and M S and E turns of all types. :)

MWilson

Customizable controls are the only good answer to a problem like that. Although it would be nice, you don't even need to make an interface for it in the program. Just have them loaded from a text file when the program starts.