• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Is this scramble lucky or easy/ or both?

Is this scrambe -

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim Major

Platinum Member
WCA
2010MAJO01
I want to change my vote to none of the above. Can you please explain what you don't understand? You keep making these threads, but you don't seem to get it. Any skipped step, that has less than 20% chance of skipping, and is skipped, is a lucky solve, unless the solver has purposely skipped it, using a different solution to what he would normally do. Or, if s/he managed to make the chance of a skip more likely, and above 20%. Is this 4 move solution a face with a ll skip? if so, it's lucky, as an ll skip is less than 20% chance of happening. However, if the solver use WV to get an OLL skip, and a pll skip is more than 20% likely (I'm not sure of a PLL skip on a 2x2's chances) it is considered non-lucky.

Muesli

Premium Member
WCA
2009SMIT05
YouTube
Visit Channel
LUCK PAYS A MASSIVE PART IN SPEEDCUBING, ESPECIALLY 2X2. A 4 MOVE SCRAMBLE CAN BE CONSIDERED LUCKY, BUT A FAST SOLVE DOESN'T HAVE TO BE CONSIDERED LUCKY. THE MISTAKE YOU MADE IN THE FIRST THREAD WAS TO ASSUME THAT EVERY SOLVE ON THE LIST WAS A LUCKY SOLVE, AND THEN YOU FOUGHT THAT COMPLETELY FALSE FACT FOR THE ENTIRE THREAD. AS DAVID HAS ALREADY SAID, ROWE DOESN'T AVERAGE <2 SECONDS BUT HE IS PERFECTLY CAPAPBLE OF DOING THAT IN A GOOD, NON LUCKY SOLVE.

NOW QUITE WHINING

shelley

chang
WCA
2004CHAN04
reThinking, do we really need three whole threads on lucky 2x2 scrambles? Keep the discussion in one thread, please.

cmhardw

Premium Member
WCA
2003HARD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Is everyone up in arms about a WR being considered "lucky", because they think this is a bad thing, and that it somehow illegitimizes the solve as not really an official WR? I haven't read rethinking_the_cube's other thread(s) on this topic, but I would have to say that in my opinion a scramble with a 4 move solution is definitely a lucky scramble, making the solve definitely a lucky solve if the person saw the 4 move solution. However, this would still, assuming it was fast enough, be the completely legitimate WR despite the fact that it was lucky.

Is this what we're all arguing about? Or am I missing something here? To paraphrase Erik why does getting lucky on a solve have to be a bad thing? That's how it seems to me that people are reacting to this idea in this thread.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.