• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Is cubing a sport?

Is cubing a sport?

• Yes

Votes: 49 61.3%
  • No

Votes: 19 23.8%
  • Maybe

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • Just as much as curling is.

Votes: 14 17.5%

• Total voters

LBr

WCA
2022FOGG01
It’s not directly google. It’s Google’s reference to Wikipedia where people can edit articles where this is coming from, so when people change the article, the google search result can also be manipulated. This is why it’s a problem and we shouldn’t blindly accept a Wikipedia article which a biased individual like myself can (and did) change it to something that reflects my opinion

we should probably agree to lock this thread before things get rowdy

Ayce

we should probably agree to lock this thread before things get rowdy
It’s not rowdy yet.

How many people here actually play sports here?

Feel like that cubing is a sport. It is really competitive and all sports are really competitive. That's what I think. On the other hand, it can also be considered as a hobby also.
There is no reason that cubing can be a sport. The main thing I’ve seen is “It’s competitive so it’s a sport” Doesn’t make much sense, you can make pretty much anything competitive but that doesn’t make it a sport.
Competition ≠ Sport but Sport ≈ Competition.

GodCubing

I don't really want to get into this debate but I will put my opinion out here so you guys can murder it.

Cubing may not be physically taxing or similiar to preparing for war, but it does require mental strength and speed. Cubing also requires fine motor skills, so it is not a sport in the way that football, basketball, and soccer are. It is more like the sports of fishing and chess. Perhaps the english language is too simple for this nuance but I would call it a sport because of the reasons listed above and the increasing competitiveness of it. I personally find team events to be the most hype and I think that those events are very sports like.

WCA
2023POLL02
It’s not rowdy yet.

There is no reason that cubing can be a sport. The main thing I’ve seen is “It’s competitive so it’s a sport” Doesn’t make much sense, you can make pretty much anything competitive but that doesn’t make it a sport.
I do

Caden Fisher

WCA
2022FISH12
YouTube
Visit Channel
It’s not rowdy yet.

I play baseball, basketball, football, and soccer.
I wouldn’t consider pen spinning or juggling a sport and I dont think cubing is either. I think it’s a great hobby and quite similar to chess. I think Its mostly a mental thing so I wouldn’t call it a sport.

gsingh

WCA
2019SING33
@Running for cube read this thread

SpedCube

The greeks defined that any game that can train you for war is a sport. I don’t entirely agree with this but it is a good foundation.

Chess isn’t really a sport, glorified board game at best.

Being a spectator friendly game is important but doesn’t make it a sport.

Competition ≠ Sport but it is a start
to be fair, that would mean that killing eachother is a sport too so I mean, how accurate is that really

WCA
2023POLL02

JohnnyReggae

WCA
2015BOSW01
I wouldn’t consider pen spinning or juggling a sport and I dont think cubing is either. I think it’s a great hobby and quite similar to chess. I think Its mostly a mental thing so I wouldn’t call it a sport.
ITO juggling .... I think Jason Garfield will strongly disagree with you on that one

The WJF has been going since 2000 and has always listed itself as Sport Juggling. In the juggling world I'd agree with them and would definitely call it a sport.

ITO cubing, yes it's a hobby to a lot of people ... but it has become a sport through sponsorships.

Garf

WCA
2022TIND01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Pretty sure that chess is an Olympic sport now. If speedcubing became an Olympic sport, I can think of 3 people who would be top 3.

Cuban_Cuber

It seems that those who actually play sports don’t actually think cubing is a sport. Interesting…
I disagree. I do running and martial arts, and I still consider cubing a sport.
growing grass is cool to watch
thus growing grass is a sport
Being cool to watch is not the only requirement to being a sport. Abunickabhi was providing one example as to why he thinks cubing and curling are sports.

Oxford languages defines a sport as: an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.
Growing grass does not involve physical exertion. It is also not entertaining, not competitive, and requires little to no skill.

However both cubing and curling, have all of these essentials.

YouTube
Visit Channel
I disagree. I do running and martial arts, and I still consider cubing a sport.

Being cool to watch is not the only requirement to being a sport. Abunickabhi was providing one example as to why he thinks cubing and curling are sports.

Oxford languages defines a sport as: an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.
Growing grass does not involve physical exertion. It is also not entertaining, not competitive, and requires little to no skill.

However both cubing and curling, have all of these essentials.
You're wrong.

Growing grass is a fascinating way to spend your time. It's a common sight to see grass growing in nature. Farmers grow grass for food or to use it for making clothes and other items. People grow grass because it's fun to watch and keeps them busy. Grass growing is a sport because it is fun to watch and can be entertaining.

Growing grass is fascinating to watch since it moves and grows on its own. Many people like watching grass grow since it corresponds to the growth in their lives. Growing grass also reminds us of our childhood when they would play games and have fun. Watching grass grow is like watching something else independently instead of someone working out. It's a simple form of exercise that we can do at home without training camps or athletes. Essentially, growing grass is a form of exercise without the soreness or muscle strain.

Sports are good ways to keep you active and healthy. Grass growing is a simple form of exercise that you can do at home without any training. It's a simple way to keep yourself healthy and fit. Many people use their growing time as time for relaxation or time for the body to repair itself. Others use it as time for their bodies to eat and get strong. Essentially, there are many uses for your growing time- and all of them are good.

People make growing grass into a sport by competing against each other. There are several types of competitions that you can join as a grass grower. One type of competition involves measuring the length of grass seedlings before they grow up. Other competitions involve measuring the height and width of their plants after they grow up. The person who wins the competition wins a prize, such as a medal, trophy or award. Everyone who grows grass does it to compete in a sport they enjoy and find rewarding!

Growing grass is an interesting topic to write about since it's so common in nature. Everyone likes watching grass grow since it reminds them of their childhoods or times they spent relaxing. Grass growing also makes for an ideal form of recreation without any negative consequences or strain on your body systems. Anyone can join in and make grass growing into a sport by competing, measuring or just watching grass grow!

Last edited:

EngiNerdBrian

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
I should have made popcorn before reading this thread…the topic appears regularly here and the jury is still out.

Do finger tricks count as “physical exertion”??? The only way I see that cubing can be a sport is if we can convince ourselves that finger-tricking the cube is actually “exertion.”

I’m genuinely undecided on this argument despite the nuance and meaningless distinction of the conclusion.

Art requires command of the mind and body (hands) to create quality artwork. Is it a sport? I’d think we’d say no. What then If we RACED to see who could paint or draw an image as fast as possible to exacting specifications would that make SPEED PAINTING a sport? Or just a very interesting competition and fringe hobby? Hmm…