• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Is cubing a sport?

Do you think cubing should be considered a sport?

• Yes

Votes: 7 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I know this is one of the most controversial topics about cubing, but do you think it should be considered a sport?
with the amount of competitiveness, prizes, history, and companies investing in cubing, yeah I think it should be considered a sport in the future as cubing doesn't have a very large amount of competitors yet, we should see it rising in coming years.
edit: someone should move this to the General Speedcubing Discussion category because this is a cubing related thing.

Last edited:

Tony Fisher

YouTube
Visit Channel
Yeah I think cubing is 'an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.'
Fullbore target rifle shooting requires virtually no physical exertion yet is considered a sport. Chess requires skill and involves competing yet is not considered a sport. This subject has certainly been discussed before and I have come to the following conclusion- There are many things that very obviously aren't sports and many things that very obviously are. However there are also many things that could either be considered sports ot not considered sports because of the lack of clear definition (both dictionary and common usage) for the word "sport".

nairismic

Fullbore target rifle shooting requires virtually no physical exertion yet is considered a sport. Chess requires skill and involves competing yet is not considered a sport. This subject has certainly been discussed before and I have come to the following conclusion- There are many things that very obviously aren't sports and many things that very obviously are. However there are also many things that could either be considered sports ot not considered sports because of the lack of clear definition (both dictionary and common usage) for the word "sport".
Ok, let's look at a bunch of definitions of the word sport and see if cubing falls under most of them.
1.Cambridge Dictionary: 'a game, competition or activity needing physical effort or skill that is played or done according to rules for enjoyment and/or as a job.' I think cubing falls under this.
2.Merriam Webster: (ngl this made me laugh a little) ' a physical activity engaged in for pleasure' ehh, I guess this could be cubing, but it would be too easy to argue against since cubing isn’t that physical, so, no.
3.Oxford Languages:' an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.' Yes.
4.Wikipedia: Sport includes all forms of competitive/physical activity or games which, through casual or organized participation, at least in part aim to use, maintain or improve physical ability and skills while providing enjoyment to participants, and in some cases, entertainment for spectators. Yes.
Now, there are (give or take) 11 more websites in my search results we could go through, but I need to go and get Corona tested now.

Tony Fisher

YouTube
Visit Channel
I need to go and get Corona tested now.
I hope you come up negative.
I don't think common usage should be ignored. Ask a random person in the street and I am sure they would mostly say no so it's not generally thought of as one. BTW you rejected speedcubing being physical whereas it actually is physical. Far more so than chess and pretty much any other mind game. It requires physical practice, speed and technique beyond the solving method. So to put my opinion in different words I don't think there is sufficient logical reason to accept it as a sport nor reject it a sport.

nairismic

I hope you come up negative.
I don't think common usage should be ignored. Ask a random person in the street and I am sure they would mostly say no so it's not generally thought of as one. BTW you rejected speedcubing being physical whereas it actually is physical. Far more so than chess and pretty much any other mind game. It requires physical practice, speed and technique beyond the solving method. So to put my opinion in different words I don't think there is sufficient logical reason to accept it as a sport nor reject it a sport.
Hmmmm. I guess cubing is physical, but it isn’t that physical. Some parts of it are more physical than others for example: OH is more strenous than TH. Technically, everything requires physical effort.
I guess if the community or most of the community want to call cubing a sport, cubing is a sport.

The sole reason I guess cubing is not yet considered a sport officially, is because that the community is not that large yet. I only thought about it after 1 day of cubing. Before, i was like *meh* about cubing. People think cubing is super hard and you need to be good in maths (I'm good in maths ;)). If that mindset is changed, cubing can be considered a sport IG
But with this large association (WCA), I don't know why its not lol