• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Interview with Yi-Fan Wu

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
December 3, 2015 : Interview with Speedsolving.com member Yi-Fan Wu : Currently (at the time of this interview) holds the Asian record for 4×4 Average (31.10 seconds), is ranked 10th in the world for 5×5 Single (54.90 seconds), and is ranked 38th in the world for 3×3 average (8.30 seconds).

YifanWuinterview-660x330.jpg

What made you become interested in solving puzzles?
My elementary school teacher taught me how to solve a cube and I saw many fast cubers on Youtube. After watching them, I just wanted to be as fast as them.

What, in your opinion, is your biggest “cubing” accomplishment?
Holding the 4×4 single and average Asian Record (CR) at the same time.

What motivated you to practice and become fast at solving puzzles?
I just saw many fast cubers on Youtube, so I learned some skills and tutorials on the web.

How many hours each week do you typically practice?
Maybe 8-10 hours a week. Sometimes me and other cubers would practice together on weekends, so maybe more than 10 hours.

What will the future of cubing be like and how would you like cubing to progress?
Cubing is important for me because it helps me to make friends. So I expect it will continue to grow more and more because people enjoy cubing. And records continue to be broken which pushes people to beat them.

Describe the cubing community in Taiwan. How is it different than other countries (if it is different)?
I don’t know if it is different than other countries, haha. Because Taiwan is small, if there is a WCA competition, cubers from everywhere in Taiwan would come. So cuber’s communication is warm and the friendship is firm.

So far, what has been your most enjoyable cubing experience?
My most enjoyable cubing experience was to go aboard for a competition, such as Cross-strait exchange, Asian Championships. I made many friends from around the world.

What are your other hobbies?
I love airplanes. I usually go to planespotting (airplane photography) at the airport. I just like it, but I don’t know why.