• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

In which decade did you first start cubing?

Which decade?

• Total voters

4EverCuber

WCA
2012WATA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
My parents brought me a 3x3x3 Rubik's brand cube in 1981 and two solution books to solve it.

Remember that there was no internet (at least to us civilian users) back then.

But it took me until May 2009 to actually solve one. I brought one of the two book I was given in 1981 on Ebay and used that to solve it.

I remember those 2 books (if it's the ones I'm thinking of). I wish I still had them. :(

sneaklyfox

WCA
2013HUNG01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I played a lot with it when it was out in the eighties, but didn't start to speedcube until last year, as there is no "speed" in the question, I just answered 1980s :)

Similar story here. Didn't care much about speed back then. It was quite enough that I could solve it in the mid-80s. Speed started end of 2011 when I learned about "speedcubing" and it's revived my interest in the Rubik's Cube.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Apparently the three people who have answered the poll so far who started cubing in the 1970s started cubing before they were conceived. Impressive.

1970s is possible, even for non-inventors. Apparently the first Rubik's cubes were sold locally in Budapest in late 1977. So it's not a ridiculous option on the poll.

I was a speedcuber from the start (1981 for me), although a bad one. (Right after I solved it the first time, I scrambled it again and timed myself, and solved in about 30 minutes.) I remember how excited I was a couple of months later to get below 3 minutes. I never got much faster than that, though, until 2006.

nachtflieger

I put down 1970's but it may well have been 1980. That was a while back <G>.
Retired three years ago. Picked up a cube at a yard sale. Now I'm trying to get under a minute.
Just got a Dyan2 GuHong to help with the effort.

cubernya

Premium Member
None of the poll options are decades, by the way. A decade is 1971-80, 81-90, etc. ...so I'm not voting because, yes, I started in the 2010s, but that's not a decade :p

I started in 2010 (December with simulations), so the past decade.

Last edited:
O

Owen

I'd define "started cubing" as when you first became interested in the puzzle and learned to solve. Speed doesn't matter.

sneaklyfox

WCA
2013HUNG01
YouTube
Visit Channel
None of the poll options are decades, by the way. A decade is 1971-80, 81-90, etc. ...so I'm not voting because, yes, I started in the 2010s, but that's not a decade :p

I started in 2010 (December with simulations), so the past decade.

A decade is (from dictionary.com)...
... a period of ten years beginning with a year whose last digit is zero: the decade of the 1980s.

So it would be 1970-79, 80-89, etc.

It's for a century that starts with a year whose last digit is one. 21st century is 2001-2100.

78BFE

Well, I had interest in the 3x3 around 2008, but I never learned how to solve it.

Then I actually learned to solve it November 2012.

cubernya

Premium Member
A decade is (from dictionary.com)...
... a period of ten years beginning with a year whose last digit is zero: the decade of the 1980s.

So it would be 1970-79, 80-89, etc.

It's for a century that starts with a year whose last digit is one. 21st century is 2001-2100.

Yes, a century does as well. If it starts with 0s, then when does the first decade/century/whatever start? There is no year 0, so would it start in 1 BCE? As far as I know, all lusta, decades, centuries, and millennia start with 1 and not 0

4EverCuber

WCA
2012WATA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yes, a century does as well. If it starts with 0s, then when does the first decade/century/whatever start? There is no year 0, so would it start in 1 BCE? As far as I know, all lusta, decades, centuries, and millennia start with 1 and not 0

Just my 2 cents here. But the term "80's" refers to all years between and including 80-89 does it not? and 80 through 89 consists of 10 years hence the decade. You wouldn't classify 1990 as being part of the 80's right?