• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Ideas for Hardware revolutions

Wish Lin

WCA
2018LINW02
That's true. Reading the regulations, it is unclear whether the concave pieces count as "elevated pieces" that "significantly distinguish" the types of pieces.

Yeah, I don't think anyone would use it at a competition, except for maybe Wish Lin. :p
If the cube is officially proven competition legal, I WILL put my tengyun aside and do a WCA competition with it. Sure is going to be fun.

brododragon

I think something that could be improved on 3x3 is "edge cutting". Almost the same as corner cutting, except with slice turns. Most cubes can only do half a cubie. You can really notice the lack of "edge cutting" in H perms. They are louder than most perms because of the force required to cut edges.

Last edited:

brododragon

To figure out edge cutting, I guess you need to first figure out corner cutting. I don't know a lot about why corner cutting is so good, but some one else know why?

xyzzy

True, it's just a reverse and regular cut. The problem is we've yet to see a cube with 45 degree reverse.
Wasn't @Sion working on something like that?

You can't truly get 45 degrees both forward and reverse (there must be some dead zone where the cube will just lock up), and forward cutting is "easier" to design for (reverse cutting requires a piece to push others out of its way, which is not a problem with forward cutting), which is why cubes usually have much better forward cutting than reverse. If there's a reasonable mech that can somehow do forward and reverse roughly equally well (e.g. 40 degrees both ways), it would be very interesting to see if slice-heavy methods (Roux, CF variants, 3-style) have a clear advantage over CFOP on that cube.

Nmile7300

WCA
2019MILE04
YouTube
Visit Channel
it would be very interesting to see if slice-heavy methods (Roux, CF variants, 3-style) have a clear advantage over CFOP on that cube.
If this could happen on a smaller level to big cubes (30/30 cutting would be amazing on 5-7), then it could also mean that slices become a more reasonable thing in big cube solving.

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results
If this could happen on a smaller level to big cubes (30/30 cutting would be amazing on 5-7), then it could also mean that slices become a more reasonable thing in big cube solving.

The reason slice moves on big cubes aren't done is because they're almost impossible. Turning 5 layers at once without making mistakes is almost impossible

Sion

I think it could be possible, but the cube would likely sacrifice in other areas if it has 45 degrees worth of reverse.

That said. We need more products that could be stable without magnets or with very little use of them. Designers are relying on them too much now it feels like.

brododragon

Also another idea would be swappable magnets and easy tensioning systems in non 3x3s.
I don't think it would be that hard to make a set of magnetic caps for a 4x4 (though it would take a lot of them), or use the Gan magnet system. I think the main problem is there would be so many magnets to change.

chocool6

I don't think it would be that hard to make a set of magnetic caps for a 4x4 (though it would take a lot of them), or use the Gan magnet system. I think the main problem is there would be so many magnets to change.
The Gan XS system is very fast to change, and the Gan X system I'm pretty sure takes under a minute to change, so for 4x4 with double the magnets it will still only take 2 minutes. I don't think time would be that much of any issue. The main problem is cost, the 4x4 would probably be around $80-$100