• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] Hoya Discussion

CurlyFries

WCA
2015BURE01
Hoya for 6x6 and 7x7
It is widely understood that for the big(ger) cube events, Yau's limitations in the center building stage is not made up for in look-ahead as in 4x4 and possibly 5x5, deeming it a (mostly) non-viable option for speedsolving. It is widely suggested . that you should use freeslice/redux instead. I believe that the best alternative to redux is the Hoya method. It combines the benefit of redux center building with the better look-ahead during the L8E and 3x3 stages of Yau. To me, it seems like the perfect compromise. So the question here is, why is no one using it, and what do you think about it?

KAINOS

I actually do not use hoya on 5x5 and bigger while I do on 4x4. It seems like to me that forming cross edges gets more inefficient movecount-wise as you move onto bigger puzzle, but maybe better lookahead could give you some edge, like how it is in 4x4? Not sure though.

Chree

WCA
2013BROT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I actually do not use hoya on 5x5 and bigger while I do on 4x4. It seems like to me that forming cross edges gets more inefficient movecount-wise as you move onto bigger puzzle, but maybe better lookahead could give you some edge, like how it is in 4x4? Not sure though.

Hoya can be surprisingly efficient for 5x5. There are a lot of small tricks you can do that feel almost like F2L algs, so speed isn't super compromised versus other methods.

Again, I give you Luke:

As for cubes bigger than 5x5... I think the inefficiency of Hoya is (possibly) a myth. Mostly because you can take advantage of techniques like "solving more than one cross piece at a time"... which is a boost to lookahead because there's almost always a cross piece in U or F that you can work with. Fewer pauses and all the tricks. It's pretty fun to use on big cubes, too!

arquillian

WCA
2014KOUL01

buuuump lmao
'
got a nice sub 1 5x5 hoya solve, but got carried by super lucky l4e - one slice flip slice and then just a 3 cycle

at this point I don't honestly care whether or not hoya is more efficient or move optimal or whatever....I started doing 5x5 after some 6-7 months and did some hoya solves because I was bored - and I liked it enough that it made me start seriously practicing 5x5.

Eli Apperson

WCA
2022APPE01
YouTube
Visit Channel

buuuump lmao
'
got a nice sub 1 5x5 hoya solve, but got carried by super lucky l4e - one slice flip slice and then just a 3 cycle

at this point I don't honestly care whether or not hoya is more efficient or move optimal or whatever....I started doing 5x5 after some 6-7 months and did some hoya solves because I was bored - and I liked it enough that it made me start seriously practicing 5x5.
Yeah I fully agree. The reason I started using Hoya is becuase Redux and Yau were just so boring. Hoya makes big cubes a lot more interesting, therefore I practice more.