• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

how winter variation works?

cunningcuber

Winter variation (or F2LL), like many other systems, requires learning algorithms. And I am just too lazy too learn 27 algorithms( excluding mirrors), so i've been trying to figure out how winter vatiation works in order to be able to do it intuitively (and by intuitively I mean without having to learn many algorithms). Can anyone help me? I'm sure that it will help me and many other people who want to learn F2LL.

H

Hershey

Winter variation (or F2LL), like many other systems, requires learning algorithms. And I am just too lazy too learn 27 algorithms( excluding mirrors)

Too lazy? Quit cubing.

so i've been trying to figure out how winter variation works in order to be able to do it intuitively (and by intuitively I mean without having to learn many algorithms).

Fixed, and you really can't do winter variation without learning algorithms. F2LL (first two layers and last slot) methods are not really worth learning. They will only save you a few moves. Also, edges need to be oriented in Winter Variation.

Sa967St

Not A Moderator
WCA
2007STRO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Instead of learning the algs the way one would likely do for PLL, which is repeating them until it's in his/her muscle memory, group the similar algs. Some of them are simple insertions that cancel with a sune or an antisune, some are repeated triggers then a simple insertion, and some play around with 2 F2L slots. Memorize them by knowing how the algs work, not by how it looks like in notation.

5BLD

WCA
2011LAUA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hm... Well it's certainly possible to do it intuitively, but it won't be as efficient as the, well, more efficient, computer-generated algs.
Just learn 3 a day and you'll be done in just over a week. Learning algs isn't THAT bad.

H

Hershey

About that... I've managed to orient the edges via an intuitive version(0 algorithms) of ZBF2L I created, so I wanted to learn F2LL the same way in order to get the upper layer oriented.

You would be using too many moves/steps.

Your method:

1) Cross
2) 4 F2L pairs
3) edge orientation
4) Last pair and Winter Variation,
5) PLL

versus CFOP

1) cross
2) F2L
3) OLL
4) PLL

cyoubx

YouTube
Visit Channel

Your method:

1) Cross
2) 4 F2L pairs
3) edge orientation
5) PLL

versus CFOP

1) cross
2) F2L
3) OLL
4) PLL

You don't know if his edge orientation is a separate step. It might be built into the first 3 F2L pairs.

It might just be
1) Cross
2) 3 F2L pairs (with EO)
3) F2LL
4) PLL

Sa967St

Not A Moderator
WCA
2007STRO01
YouTube
Visit Channel

Your method:

1) Cross
2) 4 F2L pairs
3) edge orientation
5) PLL

versus CFOP

1) cross
2) F2L
3) OLL
4) PLL

Actually it'd be more like:

1. Cross
2-4. First pair, Second pair, Third pair + EO
5. Fourth pair + OCLL
6. PLL

v.s.

1. Cross
2-5. First pair, Second pair, Third pair, Fourth pair
6. OLL
7. PLL

His method (it's not really a whole method, just a CFOP add-on/technique) is basically CFOP where he does the last pair and OLL at the same time.

H

Hershey

Or you could just stop being lazy and just learn intuitive F2L, OLL, PLL and maybe use some tricks along the way to decrease movecount.

Last edited by a moderator: