• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

How to stop a DIY type A from popping

hic0057

WCA
2010HICK01
Most people know that the type a old one pops likes crazy and if you tightens it so it doesn't pop it too stiff to turn. A simple mod that I did was to take out all the springs on all sides then tighten it almost all the way. It can turn as far as a U2 with one flick easily.
Note there are some problems with this mod. You can overshoot very easily so you need to adjusted do that you don't overshoot to much with can cause some lockups so you need to improve your turning accuracy.
It is almost guarantee to stop popping and still turn easily.

dillonbladez

WCA
2010CHAN03
YouTube
Visit Channel
I believe the springs from the Old Type A cubes cause this. Since they are big and really "springy" (lol no other word), it cuts corners well, but pops a lot.

Taking out the springs will not allow any corner cutting.
The screws in Type A cubes (the old ones) are pretty long (lol thats NOT what she said), so how could you tighten all of the sides to the max?

hic0057

WCA
2010HICK01
I said almost all the way. Stop adjusting when it starting getting stiff. It can still cut corners a little bit but not like it could before. If only we can get spring that will only just fit. I've tried the C4U springs (silver ones) but it still pops lots. This mod can be done on any diys

dada222

I have one of these babies as well... it's true that it pops like hell at least at first.. but after a couple of months of using it exclusively and sanding it... it's not so bad. After it's been "grained" a little you can increase the tension and that will help without making it too stiff. If you're gonna do blindfolded though and you have nothing else than this and a storebought, use the latter.

Last edited:
WCA
2010MINE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
It's called "Alpha", not "Type A". It's been changed.

Honestly nobody cares. >.>

You've failed on such a high level you shouldn't even be allowed to post here any more

stfu

Fail beyond Fail.

Maybe you should just get new hardware in general. If you have the C4Y core, try to use that with it's respective screws and springs. Some springs are only meant for some screws.

It says the same thing on the big ad above the webpage, so it's an obvious fail.

Mitch15

WCA
2009ROMI01

Honestly nobody cares. >.>

You've failed on such a high level you shouldn't even be allowed to post here any more

stfu

Fail beyond Fail.

Maybe you should just get new hardware in general. If you have the C4Y core, try to use that with it's respective screws and springs. Some springs are only meant for some screws.

It says the same thing on the big ad above the webpage, so it's an obvious fail.

wanna know a secret? four different people told you off over it because everybody knows the name was changed, but nobody cares. even when people are typing type a they probably realize its wrong, and care so little as to not hit backspace and correct it. i think its pretty fail that you feel the need to type the correction, or copy paste it for that matter, over and over and over. please stop. we all get it.

Last edited: