• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

How to Solve a Rubik's Cube Blindfolded

JL58

You have at least one cycle, the one you start with. All others are "additional." (or total number of cycles -1)

So if I count 12 edge shoots, in 3 cycles, that is 12 - (3-1) = 10. I miss 1. Therefore I look for either
- an edge already in place to complete the count or
- a new cycle of 1 (a flipped edge)

In the first case I have 12 shoots - (3-1) additional cycles + 1 in-place = 11

In the case of a flipped edge I have 14 shoots, 4 cycles (i.e. 3 additional) and no in-place edge: 14 - 3 = 11. I'm done.

Of course I could count all cycles and reach for counts of 10 and 6 instead of 11 and 7. But I tend to remember the additional ones better: these are the cycles that you have to break by moving your buffer piece into them. Just a personal preference I guess. Hope it helps.

Last edited:

JLarsen

Premium Member
WCA
2009LARS03
YouTube
Visit Channel
I get all the concepts now, just one last thing that's keeping me from success. I can't accurately determine which pieces I've yet to shoot to. Using letter pairs the only way I can think is to run through your memo and take note of every piece that I've shot to so far. Is there any other way or am I going to have to really practice running through my entire memo quickly?

JL58

Yes, I had the same problem. This is one of the reasons I switched to visual, rather than letters. I realized that I could account better for the pieces that were already taken care of. The more I do it, the faster it comes to me. I still have more problem with corners than edges, even though there are less of them to account for. Go figure. Maybe I should switch to images for corners too...

This part (letters versus images) has to be different from one person to the next.

JLarsen

Premium Member
WCA
2009LARS03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yeah I can remember which corners I've done far easier than the edges. I find myself wasting lots of time running through my memo and picking out which pieces I've yet to shoot to for edges. Other than that I can do everything super easy and correctly now. So I really want to take down this barricade.

Chuberchuckee

Anyone have any suggestions for future BLD videos?

byu said:
[...]I finished making my M2/R2 videos, it will take a while to import them to my computer, compress them, and upload them, but I hope that they will all be up sometime between tomorrow and Saturday.[...]

I think you should get the M2/R2 videos up if you haven't already; I'm sure they'll be very helpful to many people. :)

byu

WCA
2009YUBR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I never liked 3OP, but I'm sure that some people do. I got sub-3, a while back, with 3OP, I haven't used it in months. But, if you want one, I'll try to make one. I'll have to go back and read up on corner orientation, I may have forgotten that part.

byu

WCA
2009YUBR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yeah. I'm pretty good at 3OP, not as good as non pre-orienting methods such as Old Pochmann and M2/R2. But even though I haven't used 3OP in a while, I'm going to try right now. If I get a success, then I'll make a tutorial. If I don't, then I wont. If I come close, well, I'll think about that later.

EDIT: Success in 2:42. Not as great as my normal BLD, but not bad for a first 3OP in months.

Last edited:

Zeroknight

I was looking over this, and while practicing the method (no blindfold), I noticed that you have no setup moves for shooting an edge to LU. I suspect that this is just the flipped edge case, but when I checked it, I'm not sure it was. What am I doing wrong? (I'm not using M2 btw). Also, I understand how that edge method works and I have solved it many times with it(again, no blindfold) thus familiarizing me with that method. Should I move onto M2, even though I've never solved a cube BLD, but I understand the other edge method anyway?

Thanks in advance.

xXzaKerXx

I have a few questions:

how do know if there is a parity error? do you count the number of times u solve the edges/corners?

will the parity algorithm always be the same in the same location?

how do you memorize the corners? do you label each orientation with some scheme?

can you give me some ideas about letter pairs sounds method for memorizing the edges? (ex.Yellow Green-YG-Ygnite u get the idea)

thanks so much every bit of information given will be appreciated

xXzaKerXx

can you please be more specific about solving the corner orientation problem in section 1.82? like, the orientation of the ocrner piece and how you must shoot it to in what direction etc thanks

kamikazz7

YouTube
Visit Channel
orientation then permutation

ive seen on utube another way to solve blindfolded which u orient the corners and then u permute them
then u do the same with edges

where can I find an article expalining this method as you did above

thanks