• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

How to practice

Parzival1888

Hey all,
what methods did you all use to improve?

I've been stuck at around 50 seconds per solve for around a month now
any tips would be great!

JMFT100

I really need some help to lower my 3x3 Times,I average around 13 seconds,and I have a Valk 3 Power M ,what can I do to be sub-11?

OreKehStrah

YouTube
Visit Channel
The biggest thing is improving look ahead and using your inspection better. Make sure you practice doing the cross and track your first F2L pair if you’re using CFOP. Another thing that will help is to do practice sessions with your PLL/OLL and see which Algs are slower than your others and drill them or find new ones to improve your consistency

AbsoRuud

WCA
2019POLL04
YouTube
Visit Channel
If you want to turn faster you can do one or two of the following:
Use less moves.
Turn faster.

I recommend focusing strongly on the first one. Figure out efficient ways to solve each F2L pair, look up algs for the cases where you aren't efficient. And then drill, drill, drill, until you can do every case blindfolded, asleep, and super fast.

This is exactly what I needed to find, and consequently read. I’ve been messing with cubes for years but only recently “got serious” with solving them. The shift came after my mindset switched and I started looking at solving the cube as a series of steps practiced, reasoned, and thus actually understood - versus random spinning or impossible to understand algorithms. My time for solving in the fastest it has ever been in my life, and this resource is only improving upon that! Thank you!

Reactions: pjk

PrinceCubing

I’m new to speedcubing and started learning CFOP. The cross and F2L are not difficult to grasp because of how intuitive they are, however, I have trouble learning the algorithms for OLL and PLL. I find it difficult to practice with these because unlike the cross and F2L, once you do one part of OLL, you have to move on straight to PLL. Any suggestions for how to more efficiently practice OLL and PLL separately?

GAN 356 X

I’m new to speedcubing and started learning CFOP. The cross and F2L are not difficult to grasp because of how intuitive they are, however, I have trouble learning the algorithms for OLL and PLL. I find it difficult to practice with these because unlike the cross and F2L, once you do one part of OLL, you have to move on straight to PLL. Any suggestions for how to more efficiently practice OLL and PLL separately?
Whenever I learn a new algorithm, I will drill it continuously until I have it. with some algorithms I will get confused with because they are so similar, so I will have to relearn it and practice it just as much of the new algorithm

MJS Cubing

WCA
2019SULL02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Sorry for the bump, but my entire life changed. I watched this video from LaZer0MonKey, and now I use a metronome to practice. When learning algs, you just do one turn per beat, and slowly increase the speed before you are full speed. I find this really useful.

DNF_Cuber

Sorry for the bump, but my entire life changed. I watched this video from LaZer0MonKey, and now I use a metronome to practice. When learning algs, you just do one turn per beat, and slowly increase the speed before you are full speed. I find this really useful.
@ottozing (Sorry I had to do it)

Last edited:

stoic

Premium Member
WCA
2013DEAR01
Great post. Should definitely be a sticky

So, this is the best thing I've read since I repped @Escher over ten years ago for starting this thread...

abunickabhi

WCA
2013GHOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel

So, this is the best thing I've read since I repped @Escher over ten years ago for starting this thread...
Amazing read. Worth the every 38 minutes of my time. The post summarises the pros of deliberate practice quite nicely. I had only seen Noah Arthur's video on this topic and then some discussions here and there in the community. It feels good to read a comprehensive post about this practice technique.

Wertm

Hello fellow speed cubers, I have a question...how can you become a faster solver? Currently I average under 45 seconds, but I see that my averages are sometimes inconsistent, so I guess I really have two questions: How to get faster and how to have consistent solve times. Any and all tips are greatly appreciated.

ruffleduck

YouTube
Visit Channel
Hello fellow speed cubers, I have a question...how can you become a faster solver? Currently I average under 45 seconds, but I see that my averages are sometimes inconsistent, so I guess I really have two questions: How to get faster and how to have consistent solve times. Any and all tips are greatly appreciated.
Practice.

(Broad unspecific questions ask for broad unspecific answers.)

Llewelys

I don't know which method you use, but watching example solves videos always helps.
Good luck!
(and also yes, lots of practice)