• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

How to improve at square-1

vcuber13

WCA
2009METH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
yes, but the same applies to cubeshape
same as say f2l pairs, its intuitive and you learn it yourself, but after many times of solving it you basically dont need to think about it and is muscle memorized. for double u perms i know that i do opp-opp U D adj-adj

Last edited:

ArcticxWolf

WCA
2010SINN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
okay, let me rephrase - for me, square 1 is fairly recog-alg-recog-alg compared to other puzzles which i solve.
Since I'm telling people the way that I know sq-1, I'm assuming it's going to be fairly similar for the people which are going to follow that, in which case, learning the algs earlier would be better as it reduces the recognition time needed.

I don't understand why you're arguing this though, it's not too relevant to the point I'm trying to make.

Last edited:

Neo63

WCA
2008WUNE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
i dont agree with this, for the people of us who only know the basic eps, which is almost everyone, ep is kind of like cubeshape, you have to intuitively reduce the case to something like adj-adj which then leads to solved.

I don't think for anyone averaging 20s that cubeshape, or EPs, are intuitive. It's not intuitive just because you don't know how to solve it in one alg. After a while, even if you use three algs, you would instantly recognize, say, O perm and W perm to be (O+opp) + (U) and you would one-look it. Other than the fact that you're using a longer algorithm, there's no difference.

Dex

Just made a small site to help all those people I see on the weekly competition getting like, 1:25.xx on sq1 when they average like, 25 on 3x3.

http://backtosquare1.webs.com/

Hope it helps.

P.S. Go through the site in order, lol.

It's not completely finished yet, but I'm working on it :D

I also plan to add videos to many of the descriptions, so that hopefully helps.
Hey there, getting into square one now and cubing not too long ago. This site seems like a great resource! Is there any remaining copy of it? Or a similar one?

PiKeeper

WCA
2021KLIN02
Hey there, getting into square one now and cubing not too long ago. This site seems like a great resource! Is there any remaining copy of it? Or a similar one?
Look at cubemaster's "how to get faster at square one (beginner to sub-30)" if you want to learn how to improve.