• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

How to improve at square-1

ArcticxWolf

WCA
2010SINN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Just made a small site to help all those people I see on the weekly competetion getting like, 1:25.xx on sq1 when they average like, 25 on 3x3.

http://backtosquare1.webs.com/

Hope it helps.

P.S. Go through the site in order, lol.

It's not completely finished yet, but I'm working on it :D

I also plan to add videos to many of the descriptions, so that hopefully helps.

whauk

WCA
2008KARL02
YouTube
Visit Channel
very good tutorial. i miss some pictures and EP algs but i hope those will be coming soon.
in fact i am around 35 with 5 algs + some cubeshapes. i now decided to learn some algos and get sub25 :D

ArcticxWolf

WCA
2010SINN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
very good tutorial. i miss some pictures and EP algs but i hope those will be coming soon.
in fact i am around 35 with 5 algs + some cubeshapes. i now decided to learn some algos and get sub25 :D

Thanks! I would just make the videos and take the pictures now, but I'm celebrating thanksgiving right now haha. I'll do them probably tomorrow or the day after when I have more time. Also, I have a LOT more stuff i have to add to it, but I thought I'd just publish it now just to see what people thought, and possibly get some constructive criticism.

Very nice, but I'm not gonna learn Sq-1 :p

Lol, :(
Why'd you buy the square-1 then D:
and square-1 is fun! lol. meh

vcuber13

WCA
2009METH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
a few thing i noticed so far

-hat adj is missing a slash at the end of the setup (which could confuse people trying to learn it
-id call it hatchet not hat (woner)
-theres a better kite square alg
-for 2opp-2adj you dont say how to position the adj and it doesnt save cp
-theres only 8 cps

Last edited:

Gold_A

YouTube
Visit Channel
I may just be being picky here, but why did you call them Y instead of N for the corner perm? ( I know it doesn't really make a different since you're not looking at the edges anyway, but it is technically an N perm, at least that's how i always saw it as) Or is that just how the square 1 community sees it, this is the first time I've ever actually looked at a guide for square 1 that wasn't just for the parity algo.

ArcticxWolf

WCA
2010SINN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Nice site, btw it's spelt Vandenbergh

Oh, okay, I'll change that as soon as I get home.

a few thing i noticed so far

-hat adj is missing a slash at the end of the setup (which could confuse people trying to learn it
-id call it hatchet not hat (woner)
-for 2opp-2adj you dont say how to position the adj and it doesnt save cp
-theres only 8 cps

- Alright, thanks.
- Vault312 calls it Hat, so that's how I learned it.
- Yea, I heard that you can do it 2gen, but I never figured it out. Could you post it please?
- Oh whoops. I should add that in. It does save CP though.
- Well, we're both wrong. technically there are 9, including solved state. I'll probably add that in.

Looks good at a glance. I'll be using this.

Glad it helped.

You can use my imagesq script to create images if you like. Just change the url accordingly to define a state.

http://crunchatize.me/imsq.php?shap...kers=wwwwwwwwyyyyyyyyrgbgorobgbrorgrgobobobrg

Okay, thanks.

I may just be being picky here, but why did you call them Y instead of N for the corner perm? ( I know it doesn't really make a different since you're not looking at the edges anyway, but it is technically an N perm, at least that's how i always saw it as) Or is that just how the square 1 community sees it, this is the first time I've ever actually looked at a guide for square 1 that wasn't just for the parity algo.

I call it Y perm because I'm referring to PBL. I guess that N is technically more correct, but by J and Y, I was just more referring to the fact that J consists of two adjacent corners being swapped while Y/N consists of two opposite corners being swapped.

Overall, I'll probably edit a lot of the formatting and stuff tomorrow so it'll probably be much better later. Thanks for all the help though.

EDIT: Does anybody have any ideas how I should organize the EPs? I've been thinking about sorting them by types on top. i.e. create a page for Opp on top, adj on top, U on top, H, Z, W, and O seperately. It would be kind of difficult though, because I kinda wanted to organize them so that they can just learn them as they get better. The problem with this is that the algorithms are sort of unrelated and just seem unorganized to anybody who is under 30 seconds...

Last edited:

blade740

Mack Daddy
WCA
2007NELS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I say organize them in sections based on skill level like you have the rest of the site. Nobody will want to learn full EP all at once (and if they did, they'd be on Lars' site). It seems like your goal is to provide a reasonable order in which to learn algorithms, a few at a time.

ArcticxWolf

WCA
2010SINN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Alright, so I've completely redesigned the site. What I've done is that I've taken all of the algs, and condensed them into the proper pages while providing additional information. For example, in EO, I used the format:
Name:
Alg:
How to hold:
What it does:
extra notes:
when to learn:

Then, I made a seperate section altogether called: Road to sub20. This section will have the things that you have to learn while you are in this time range, and will contain breakdowns, and other things similar to what I did in each section. Instead of having them all seperate I just put them together while keeping all the other sections clean.

example:
30-40
- Learn Full EO
- Get better at Full CP
- practice EPs
Goal Breakdown:
Cubeshape - 7s
CO - 3s
EO - 5s
CP - 5s
EP + middle layer + AUF - 10s
Helpful notes:
Common problems:

Thoughts?

Last edited:

y3k9

You made a whole website devoted to square-1, cool, but hopefully you didn't spend money on it. How do you cut corners on a square-1, my pieces all fall out when i try (i have a cubetwist).

Last edited:

Lid

WCA
2008LIDS01

- Yea, I heard that you can do it 2gen, but I never figured it out. Could you post it please?

Here is the alg I use for Kite/Square

/(-1,0)/(2,0)/(-2,0)/(2,0)/(-1,0)/(-3,0)/
& mirrored
/(0,1)/(0,-2)/(0,2)/(0,-2)/(0,1)/(0,3)/

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
I find it a bit hard to believe that you can easily be as fast at sq-1 as you are at 3x3. Like, I avg 4x as much on sq-1.

I really think they're about equally challenging. If you practice as much on square-1 as you practice on 3x3x3, I think you should be roughly the same speed on the two puzzles. (Give or take quite a few seconds, probably. Admittedly the fastest times on square-1 are more similar to the fastest times for 3x3x3 OH; the difficulty of square-1 is probably somewhere between 3x3x3 2H and 3x3x3 OH.) I'm about 10 seconds faster on 3x3x3 than on square-1 (23 seconds vs. 33 seconds or so), and I've probably done 10 times as many solves of 3x3x3 as square-1.

The problem is that very few people practice square-1 as much as 3x3x3.

blade740

Mack Daddy
WCA
2007NELS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I am faster at square-1 than 3x3 (14 vs 18 average) Square-1 is easier than 3x3 in my opinion. I got sub20 knowing less than 15 algorithms. Obviously practice is a factor, but someone who spent equal effort on both would probably be faster at square-1.