• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

How-to/Guide Request Thread

samchoochiu

WCA
2010CHIU01
YouTube
Visit Channel
5x5 Edge pairing walkthrough?

I wanted to get faster at 5x5, like less than 3 min at least. I just started solving 5x5 this week but only averaging around 4 min. Is there a video on 5x5 advanced edge pairing? I went on youtube but videos were all so old and out of date.
Thanks

RNewms27

YouTube
Visit Channel
I wanted to get faster at 5x5, like less than 3 min at least. I just started solving 5x5 this week but only averaging around 4 min. Is there a video on 5x5 advanced edge pairing? I went on youtube but videos were all so old and out of date.
Thanks

There aren't new videos because it hasn't really changed. There is not much to change. Free-slicing is a popular technique.

Austinator414

How do I solve this?

I have a Puzzle that I have owned for quite a long time and I have absolutely no idea how to solve it. It's called the double fish master, or the elongated fisher cube. It shapeshifts, and ever since I mixed it up, I've neveer been able to solve it. It Isn't a very well-known puzzle so I can't find a tutorial for it. Is there a good one out there?

Schmidt

WCA
2012SCHM07
Anything about "Preserving pairs"?
I usually just ignore premade pairs as it takes me longer than just doing the cross and then finding the first pair.

WCA
2012HAMM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Anything about "Preserving pairs"?
I usually just ignore premade pairs as it takes me longer than just doing the cross and then finding the first pair.

Consider looking into Petrus or x-crosses, as you can blockbuild the premade pair into a 2x2x2, and add cross edges to form an x-cross.
There are several youtube videos on Petrus, and I believe theWestonian has a x-cross video.

Thunderbolt

YouTube
Visit Channel
Yo guys. I really need help with K4 ELL. I've seen these videos and site but I couldnt understand how to use and perform commutators. Everytime I do one My edges end up in a wrong place (blue edges between red corners for example) and sometimes the alg totally mess up the cube. In these video there is a move that apperantly makes the edge ends up between rigt colour corners but it is not explained at all. I really like to try this method. I know everything from first step through F3L etc but this one seriously sucks and has not been explained well. can somebody help me with it. Especially when I got the cases that do not exist at all.
http://snk.digibase.ca/k4/7_nocomms.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmUuL9oJlgs&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZF-eWPI1V0

Thunderbolt

YouTube
Visit Channel
[a;b] = aba'b'
[a:b] = aba'
[a:[b;c]] = abcb'c'a'
and what about the cases that doesnt exist in there? sometimes when I finally do the alg my edge ends up not in right place and I have to do PLL anyway( I thought that K4 is magical method when we avoid doing OLL and PLL by doing uber fast commutators). In the video ive linked there is a set up I think but this guy doesnt explain how to do it(alg), in what cases(the matter where edge should go after connecting them etc). Can somebody help?