• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

How to get faster

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
In my opinion, it should take a lot more than 3 months for the average person to get from sub20 to sub15 (Step 6)
Well, it depends. I do agree for most people, it will take longer. However, 3 months of 4 hours a day is a lot different than 3 months of 1 hour a day, so the estimated time (in months) is almost arbitrary.

rubiksfriend

YouTube
Visit Channel
By whom, and it's not listed/mentioned here. Also, the best times in the world in the 80s were achieved by the Waterman method. 45 move avg. is pretty good.

brunson

WCA
2008BRUN01
From Jessica Fridrich's page:
By 1983, I was consistently averaging 17 seconds. I knew three more cubers capable of achieving sub-20 averages consistently. We practiced together. As the cube rage cooled down, I stopped working on my system. The second Czech Championship took place in March 1983. Robert Pergl won all three rounds (if I remember correctly) with a best of 17.04.
I wasn't able to google up any official times for Waterman method in the 80's, do you have any references?

Lofty

WCA
2008LOFT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
sub-20 and less is definitely possible with waterman. I know a guy who is almost sub-20 with a basic ortega type CF method. This thread produced a guide for the fridrich method it doesnt mean fridrich is the only fast method.

YouTube
Visit Channel
Waterman Method

Sub-40 seconds

Learn all necessary algorithms (aproximately 15)
Recognition all the steps

Sub-25

Learn how to do corners in one look
Learn to do fingertricks for the algorithms (hard with all the M and M' moves)

Sub-20

Optimize the first layer to average 6-7 seconds (Marc Waterman averaged 7)
Improve recognition for stage 3 (Redges and Midges)
Improve recognition for stage 2

Sub-15

As far as I know, nobody has averaged under 15 seconds with waterman, but I plan to.

pcwiz

YouTube
Visit Channel
And also, what ever happened to pcwiz?
Oh, great. You said his name, that will summon him. ;-)
Yes, LOL, you're exactly right. I'm still very active on these forums, looking at them several times everyday. I learn a lot from this forum which has lots of exciting information to read. But I don't post here.... anymore....and I think most of you know why..... >.>

And also, what ever happened to pcwiz?

He's hiding in a corner, waiting to pounce on those who don't know his true identity.
Yes, you're right, I'm hiding.:D

Because I'm posting here, I might as well say something useful.
About the discussion about sanding store bought cubes. I have one store bought cube, I used it for about 4 months until after I got a Type D DIY, and it has been sanded a couple of times lightly with a file and steel wool. It has also been lubricated a few times with silicone lubricant spray. The cube has become looser because the sanding has made the cubies smaller, and it turns VERY fast, but it locks up a lot :(.

Lately I haven't been happy with my lubricated Type D cube with a Type A core inside. It just feels slow compared to my store bought cube. So I thought, why don't I mix the cubes up? So today, I replaced the Type D cubies with store bought cubies in my Type D cube, and..... WOW, it's AWESOME!!!! It's just like my regular store bought cube, but it cuts corners wonderfully because of the Type A core, and now I can adjust the tension! It's still pretty loose, and I've only played it for like 5 minutes so I'm not too used to it, but it's WONDERFUL! :).

Last edited:
N

nitrocan

this guide seems like someone totally retarded is learning from it. how can it take for you to learn all pll algs in 2-3 months? i have been cubing for 2 months and i know all pll and 35 oll and i average sub 30 generally. (around 27-28)

PCwizCube

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
this guide seems like someone totally retarded is learning from it. how can it take for you to learn all pll algs in 2-3 months? i have been cubing for 2 months and i know all pll and 35 oll and i average sub 30 generally. (around 27-28)
Unlike you, some people try to get their PLL's execution and recognition very fast before they move on to their next PLL. That may take them like a few days for each one before they can use it easily. Others hate learning algorithms. My friend said "I'm not going to spend my whole summer learning algorithms," when he plays (not cubing) all day and he only has to learn 6 more :D. I learned my PLLs in about two weeks but I averaged them like 5 seconds for execution and much worse for recognition each when I started. Now I average like 3 seconds for execution and my recognition still stinks...

N

nitrocan

my recognition is probably less than 1 second, execution time varies between 1-3 seconds.