• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

How to get faster

pcwiz

YouTube
Visit Channel
Badmephisto isn't saying copy wiki he is saying edit wiki to have all this information then more people will be able to see it. On this site we will just have a link to the wiki article.

Okay.. I guess that's okay.

But why don't we just make it ourselves? Beginner's are looking up to us, and we don't want people think we have to use an article to help us make a comparison. It's not that hard, and I think the one we already have now is pretty good.

Not you, I meant Erik! Did you read his site? :p

What, was my english THAT horrible?

He was saying your English was bad? I thought he said your English was good! Weird.
Anyway, Erik, I did see some grammatical errors, but I'm assuming English is not your first language, so no hard feelings. Also, I perfectly understand what you're trying to point out, and that's what matters.

Last edited:

pcwiz

YouTube
Visit Channel
Okay I'm going to revise this....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Information about the Different Speed Cubing Methods

Fridrich (CFOP) Method

Basic Description
The Fridrich Method is similar to the Layer-By-Layer (LBL) method, as some of the steps are the same. However, the full Fridrich method uses several more algorithms than the layer by layer method, and combines some steps from the LBL method into one step for the Fridrich Method. Of course, more algorithms are needed for this to be done, but this results in faster times.

The Steps
  1. Cross
    First, make a cross and on any side of the cube (bottom side recommended)
  2. F2L (First Two Layers)
    Then, you fill in the slots where the corners of the cross are missing. You insert a corner and an edge piece during each insertion. There are 41 algorithms, but it can be learned intuitively.
  3. OLL (Orient the Last Layer)
    Then, you make the entire top side of the cube a solid color. The top layer does not have to be correctly permuted. This requires 57 algorithms, but can be broken down into two steps (2 Look OLL), which requires 9 algorithms.
  4. PLL (Permute the Last Layer)
    Finally, you finish the cube by permuting the top layer of the cube. There are 21 algorithms to learn, but this step can be done into two steps, (2 Look PLL), which includes 7 algorithms.

Total Number of Algorithms
    119 Algorithms

Pros
This method is relatively easy to understand when compared to other methods. Therefore, it is the most tested and most popular method used. It has a reasonable number of algorithms to learn, and sub 15 second averages are possible.

Cons
Learning all of the algorithms takes some time, and it requires a lot of practice to solve the F2L consistently in 10 seconds or less. Also, it has a slightly higher move count when compared to block building methods.

Where to lean the Fridrich (CFOP) method

Petrus Method

Basic Description
The Petrus Method is a block building method, and most of the First Two Layers is intuitive, so there are no algorithms. Additionally, it is the second most popular speed cubing method used.

The Steps

1. First, build a 2x2x2 block anywhere on the cube.
  2. Next, you expand the 2x2x2 block to a 2x2x3 block.
  3. After that, you fix the "bad edges" or orient the remaining seven edges on the cube that have not been solved.
  4. Then, you finish the First Two Layers (F2L).
  5. Next, you permute the last layer corners, or put them in their proper places (they do not have to be oriented.)
  6. Now, you "twist" or orient the last layer corners, making the whole last layer a solid color.
  7. Finally, you permute the last layer edges, without disturbing anything else, to solve the cube.

Pros
The Petrus Method uses fewer moves than the Fridrich method and most other non block building methods. It is more intuitive than the Fridrich method, and it requires far less algorithms.

Cons
It can be sometimes hard (especially for a beginner) to optimize block building, and it's difficult to keep consistently turning throughout the solve.

Where to learn the Petrus Method
http://lar5.com/cube/

Last edited:

36duong

WCA
2009DUON01
I do not think you need to have PLL's memorised to get sub-30, I use a 4 Look Last Layer with a couple of extra (T,G:d,J:a,J:b) and average sub-30 Arnaud can average sub 30 with keyhole and 4 Look LL, I would suggest something like

Current average 35-29
Goal Average:Sub 28
Learn The PLL's, links at the bottom of this post etc...

pcwiz

YouTube
Visit Channel
I do not think you need to have PLL's memorised to get sub-30, I use a 4 Look Last Layer with a couple of extra (T,G:d,J:a,J:b) and average sub-30 Arnaud can average sub 30 with keyhole and 4 Look LL, I would suggest something like

Current average 35-29
Goal Average:Sub 28
Learn The PLL's, links at the bottom of this post etc...

You have a point, but some people, like Erik, have proved that you can get a sub 20 second average with LBL and 4 Look Last Layer. But to someone who is trying to get faster, that is not very easy. You estimation is only about a 5 second difference, and keep in mind this is not an estimation.

I'm not going to change anything, because I'm not sure what to do, as I'm learning the PLLs right now (I just need to learn the Gs). Perhaps other more advanced people could make a decision about this.

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
This is only a guideline, there needs to be some variability. Individual cases shouldn't have an influence on it. It can stay as it is.

36duong

WCA
2009DUON01
Gosh, so I should have learned PLL's a month (or 8seconds) ago?? I'll just study them from now on, I even came up with an alg for a G :D. I learned F2L when I was at 1:10 average with beginners method and dropped like a rock to 45 second average. Oh well, I think I forgot that Fridrich is a highly algorithm dependent method.

pcwiz

YouTube
Visit Channel
Gosh, so I should have learned PLL's a month (or 8seconds) ago?? I'll just study them from now on, I even came up with an alg for a G :D. I learned F2L when I was at 1:10 average with beginners method and dropped like a rock to 45 second average. Oh well, I think I forgot that Fridrich is a highly algorithm dependent method.

As Dene just said before, this is a guideline. It's designed for people who want to know how to get faster, because they don't know anything. You probably know a lot, so you don't have to follow this guide. It's not your boss - you can do whatever you want. You should do whatever works for you.

pcwiz

YouTube
Visit Channel
Is this thread alive?

Is this thread alive? I can't think of anything else to add, and I really think we should put this up in the beginner's sub forum (stickied), even if it's not "finished" yet, because we are still getting a lot of questions. Let's just test it out, and see how it goes. I'll post my version of the final copy in the following posts (to keep it organized). Also, maybe we can add a poll like "Did this guide help you?" and ask them to give some feed back so we can improve it.

Last edited:

pcwiz

YouTube
Visit Channel
Information About the Different Speed Cubing Methods

Fridrich (CFOP) Method

Basic Description
The Fridrich Method is similar to the Layer-By-Layer (LBL) method, because some of the steps are the same. However, the full Fridrich method uses several more algorithms than the layer by layer method, and combines some steps from the LBL method into one step for the Fridrich Method. Of course, more algorithms are needed for this to be done, but this results in faster times.

The Steps
  1. Cross
    First, make a cross and on any side of the cube (bottom side recommended)
    Then, you fill in the slots where the corners of the cross are missing. You insert a corner and an edge piece simultaneously during each insertion. There are 41 algorithms for this step, but it can be learned intuitively.
    Next, you make the entire top side of the cube a solid color. The top layer does not have to be correctly permuted. This requires 57 algorithms, but can be broken down into two steps (2 Look OLL), which requires 9 algorithms.
    Finally, you finish the cube by permuting the top layer of the cube. There are 21 algorithms to learn, but this step can be done into two steps, (2 Look PLL), which includes 6 algorithms.

Total Number of Algorithms
    119 Algorithms

Pros
This method is relatively easy to understand when compared to other methods. Therefore, it is the most tested and most popular method used. It has a reasonable number of algorithms to learn, and sub 15 second averages are definetly possible.

Cons
Learning all of the algorithms takes some time, and it requires a lot of practice to solve the F2L consistently in 10 seconds or less. Also, it has a slightly higher move count when compared to block building methods.

Where to lean the Fridrich (CFOP) method

Petrus Method

Basic Description
The Petrus Method is a block building method, and most of the First Two Layers is solved intuitively, so there are no algorithms. Additionally, it is the second most popular speed cubing method used.

The Steps

3. After that, you fix the "bad edges" or orient the remaining seven edges on the cube that have not been solved.
  5. Next, you permute the last layer corners, or put them in their proper places (they do not have to be oriented.)
  6. Now, you "twist" or orient the last layer corners, making the whole last layer a solid color.
  7. Finally, you permute the last layer edges, without disturbing anything else, to solve the cube.

Pros
The Petrus Method uses fewer moves than the Fridrich method and most other non block building methods. It is more intuitive than the Fridrich method, and it requires far less algorithms.

Cons
It can be sometimes hard (especially for a beginner) to optimize block building, and it's difficult to keep consistently turning throughout the solve.

Last edited:

pcwiz

YouTube
Visit Channel
This thread will be provided as a little tutorial for people who are stuck and want to become faster. Please read this thread and do some forum searching prior to asking questions about becoming faster. First off, the most important factor is practice. Regardless of how many algorithms you cram or optimize, it really boils down to practice. A sub 20 second average can be achieved using a basic beginners method, however, it takes practice. More algorithms are useful to help with your understanding of the cube, and very importantly, your recognition, but these will not get you nearly as far as practice will get you. In spite of this, which is the best way to go about getting those times down, apart from practice alone? Here are some basic, set out steps to follow to help you on your way (note this is only a guideline to help you). You do not have to follow these steps, as this is only to guide you.

Here's a video of one of the top cubers, Erik Akkersdijk, getting a sub 20 average only using the beginner's method.

Fridrich Method: Step 1
Current Average: 1:30+ or don't know how to solve
Goal Average: 1:00-1:19
Use Leyan’s Beginners Method, or Badmephisto's Youtube Video Tutorial.
You could also achieve sub-1 min with these methods
If you are still stuck, follow these tips:
  • Try to reduce pauses
  • Sand, Break in, and Lubricate Your Cube (In that order, and only sand if your cube is brand new and you've barely solved it).
  • Decrease your last layer times (about 25 seconds or less) - you can do this by improving your recognition for each case
  • Make sure you solve the cross on the bottom. It will help you later. For now, try to get a cross in an average of less than 10 seconds on the Bottom of the cube. Here are some links which will help you achieve/learn this:
    http://www.cubefreak.net/cross.html
    http://www.cubestation.co.uk/cs2/index.php?page=3x3x3/cfop/cross/cross
  • Use finger tricks (this will speed up your times A LOT)
  • Practice!!! -The more you practice, the faster you'll get
  • Once you get a little used to the beginner method, you can also try inserting the first layer/side corners from different angles. See Macky's guide:http://cubefreak.net/easy_fast.html
  • Use a timer to see your progression : www.cubetimer.com if you want the timers like the "pros" use check bottom of post.
Estimated Time: 3 Weeks

Fridrich Method: Step 2
Current Average: 1:00-1:19
Goal Average: 40 - 50 seconds
  • Learn 4 look last layer (4LLL). (Links to where to learn the algorithms will be at the bottom of this post.)
    Edge Orientation - 2 algorithms
    Corner Orientation - 7 algorithms
    Edge Permutation - 4 algorithms - Ua, Ub, Zb, H
    Corner Permutation - 2 Algorithms Aa, Ab
  • DO NOT learn F2L yet.
Estimated Time: 3 weeks - 1.5 months[/SIZE]

Fridrich Method: Step 3

Current Average: 40-55 seconds
Goal Average: 30-40 seconds
  • Now learn intuitive First Two Layers (F2L).
  • Your times will temporarily get worse, but after a few days of practicing, they will become better greatly!
  • Practice your F2L, and never give up!
  • If you even think about giving up, just take a break and come back to watch the video again. Theres are other F2L tutorials, and the links will be at the bottom of this post.
Estimated Time: 2 Weeks

Fridrich Method: Step 4
Current Average:30-40 seconds
Goal Average:20-30 seconds
  • Now, learn the rest of the PLLs (you already learned 6 for 2-Look PLL) - 21 Algorithms (Links where to learn the algorithms will be at the bottom of this post)
Estimated Time: 2-3 Months

Fridrich Method: Step 5
Current Average: 20-30 seconds
Goal Average: Sub 20 seconds
  • Practice your F2L, learn/make up your own techniques, and possibly learn some of the algorithms for odd cases. (Links where to learn the F2L algorithms will be at the bottom of this post.)
  • Master all your PLLs and OLLs that you know. Meaning optimize it to your maximum speed, try to use the triggers, and try to get all of them under 3 seconds.
  • Get your cross sub 5 seconds consistently (make sure you solve the cross on the bottom of the cube.)
Estimated Time: 3-4 Months

Fridrich Method: Step 6
Current Average: Sub 20 Seconds
Goal Average: 15 Seconds or less
  • Master your F2L, try to get it down to sub 10 seconds average
  • Get your cross to sub 2 seconds average
  • Learn the rest of the OLLs! - 57 algorithms (Note that you should COMPLETELY master everything else before learning these, as they will only help you by about 3 seconds or less)
  • To learn/memorize the OLL's easier look at Badmephisto's video
  • Practice, practice, and keep on practicing!!!
Estimated Time: 3+ months

F2L Algorithms:

OLL Algorithms:

PLL Algorithms:
Corner Permutation are the Aa, and Ab permutation algorithms.
Edge Permutation are the Ua, Ub, H, and Zb permutation algorithms.

You should print out your OLLs/PLLs so you can learn them and use them at any time. Keep in mind that you should choose the algorithms that best suit you. Just because one person is fast with an algorithm doesn't mean you will be fast with the same algorithm.

USEFUL LINKS
Be sure to check out this "Introduction to Speedcubing for Beginners" post as well. It contains a lot of good information.

Helpful information:
  • Cubefreak - Macky's Site, Very good information on how to get faster
  • Cubingtechniques -Yu Nakajima's site - Not in English (use a translator) but has good F2L Algorithms
  • Cubeloop - Dennis Nilsson's site. It has some helpful information.
Tutorials:
-----------------------------
-----------------------------
----------------------------
Cube Shops
  • PuzzleProz - Fast shipping if in USA, good Customer Service, and good cubes
  • Cube4you - Slow/expensive shipping to U.S.A (you can get fast shipping for 20$) Good cubes though.
  • Huskyomega- Cheap Eastsheen (ES) cubes and good service
  • 9spuzzles
  • Rubiks - Rubiks Brand DIY cubes
  • Amazon - Fast shipping

Cube stickers/parts
Cubesmith - Fast shipping, good quality products

Cube lube
Cubelube

Last edited:

Harry

Wuoh..... A lot of things I do not know yet. Thanks everyone....

Oh, btw, the wikipedia is not free (depending on what you meant), it is true we don't have to pay money for it but if you meant, there is no people organize it TET TOT.... wrong answer, there are the board for it. I heard and I read they have meeting once in a year or whatever.

If you guys want to edit the page, I suggest you check it occasionally since we are free to edit and some people may edit it back.... and anyway, smart people (no offense) won't try to follow everything in the wikipedia and as I said before because it is free....

Anyway great guidelines Mr Pjk (so sorry you are not even xx years[I am afraid it is a secret]) and Teacher........

Last edited:

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
I was just about to post, and come to think of it, this is a How-to post. I can do post it, but instead, why don't one of you guys who actually wrote post it in the How-To forum. Post with a title as something like "How to Get Faster & Info With Different Methods" and you can combine the two posts as I did below. Here is my edited version:
---------------------------------------------
**The information provided in this thread was contributed by members in this post**
This thread will be provided as a little tutorial for people who are stuck and want to become faster. Please read this thread and do some forum searching prior to asking questions about becoming faster. First off, the most important factor is practice. Regardless of how many algorithms you cram or optimize, it really boils down to practice. A sub 20 second average can be achieved using a basic beginners method, however, it takes practice. More algorithms are useful to help with your understanding of the cube, and very importantly, your recognition, but these will not get you nearly as far as practice will get you. In spite of this, which is the best way to go about getting those times down, apart from practice alone? Here are some basic, set out steps to follow to help you on your way (note this is only a guideline to help you). You do not have to follow these steps, as this is only to guide you.

Here's a video of one of the top cubers, Erik Akkersdijk, getting a sub 20 average only using the beginner's method.

Fridrich Method: Step 1
Current Average: 1:30+ or don't know how to solve
Goal Average: 1:00-1:19
Use Leyan’s Beginners Method, or Badmephisto's Youtube Video Tutorial.
You could also achieve sub-1 min with these methods
If you are still stuck, follow these tips:Estimated Time: 3 Weeks

Fridrich Method: Step 2
Current Average: 1:00-1:19
Goal Average: 40 - 50 seconds
  • Learn 4 look last layer (4LLL). (Links to where to learn the algorithms will be below)
    Edge Orientation - 2 algorithms
    Corner Orientation - 7 algorithms
    Edge Permutation - 4 algorithms - Ua, Ub, Zb, H
    Corner Permutation - 2 Algorithms Aa, Ab
Estimated Time: 3 weeks - 1.5 months

Fridrich Method: Step 3

Current Average: 40-55 seconds
Goal Average: 30-40 seconds
  • Now learn intuitive First Two Layers (F2L).
  • Your times will temporarily get worse, but after a few days of practicing, they will become better greatly!
  • Practice your F2L, and never give up!
  • If you even think about giving up, just take a break and come back to watch the video again. Theres are other F2L tutorials, and the links will be at the bottom of this post.
Estimated Time: 2 Weeks

Fridrich Method: Step 4
Current Average:30-40 seconds
Goal Average:20-30 seconds
  • Now, learn the rest of the PLLs (you already learned 6 for 2-Look PLL) - 21 Algorithms (Links where to learn the algorithms are listed below)
Estimated Time: 2-3 Months

Fridrich Method: Step 5
Current Average: 20-30 seconds
Goal Average: Sub 20 seconds
  • Practice your F2L, learn/make up your own techniques, and possibly learn some of the algorithms for odd cases. (Links where to learn the F2L algorithms are below)
  • Master all your PLLs and OLLs that you know. Meaning optimize it to your maximum speed, try to use the triggers, and try to get all of them under 3 seconds.
  • Get your cross sub 5 seconds consistently (make sure you solve the cross on the bottom of the cube.)
Estimated Time: 3-4 Months

Fridrich Method: Step 6
Current Average: Sub 20 Seconds
Goal Average: 15 Seconds or less
  • Master your F2L, try to get it down to sub 10 seconds average
  • Get your cross to sub 2 seconds average
  • Learn the rest of the OLLs! - 57 algorithms (Note that you should COMPLETELY master everything else before learning these, as they will only help you by about 3 seconds or less)
  • To learn/memorize the OLL's easier look at Badmephisto's video
  • Practice, practice, and keep on practicing!!!
Estimated Time: 3+ months

F2L Algorithms:OLL Algorithms:PLL Algorithms: Corner Permutation are the Aa, and Ab permutation algorithms.
Edge Permutation are the Ua, Ub, H, and Zb permutation algorithms.

You should print out your OLLs/PLLs so you can learn them and use them at any time. Keep in mind that you should choose the algorithms that best suit you. Just because one person is fast with an algorithm doesn't mean you will be fast with the same algorithm.
----------------------------------------

Fridrich (CFOP) Method

Basic Description
The Fridrich Method is similar to the Layer-By-Layer (LBL) method, because some of the steps are the same. However, the full Fridrich method uses several more algorithms than the layer by layer method, and combines some steps from the LBL method into one step for the Fridrich Method. Of course, more algorithms are needed for this to be done, but this results in faster times.

The Steps
  1. Cross
    First, make a cross and on any side of the cube
    Then, you fill in the slots where the corners of the cross are missing. You insert a corner and an edge piece simultaneously during each insertion. There are 41 basic cases for this step, but it can be learned intuitively.
    Next, you make the entire top side of the cube a solid color. The top layer does not have to be correctly permuted. This requires 57 algorithms, but can be broken down into two steps (2 Look OLL), which requires 9 algorithms.
    Finally, you finish the cube by permuting the top layer of the cube. There are 21 algorithms to learn, but this step can be done into two steps, (2 Look PLL), which includes 6 algorithms.
Pros
This method is relatively easy to understand when compared to other methods. Therefore, it is the most tested and most popular method used. It has a reasonable number of algorithms to learn, and sub 15 second averages are definitely possible.

Cons

Where to lean the Fridrich (CFOP) method Petrus Method

Basic Description
The Petrus Method is a block building method, and most of the First Two Layers is solved intuitively, so there are no algorithms. Additionally, it is the second most popular speed cubing method used.

The Steps
Pros

Cons

Last edited:

Lofty

WCA
2008LOFT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I don't like it as is. Fridrich is the only method in the "how to get faster" section of the thread and will therefore lead newcomers to the site to think Fridrich is the only method to use to get fast when we both know Roux is a wonderful method along with Petrus and most any other method can be sub-20 as i have seen sub-20 with a 3x3 version of Ortega.
Of course I suppose my post is meaningless if I don't offer an alternative isn't it.

Cerberus

WCA
2007CHRI03
YouTube
Visit Channel
I would say that you should learn intuitive F2L before learning 4LLL because it's pretty easy and you need a lot of work and time for a good f2l.
It also gives you the ability to understand OLLs and some PLLs because you are playing with those F2L pairs and cases. Another advise for Edge Orientation learning would be #18 + #42 of http://cubewhiz.com/oll.html because 18+42 = T permutation 42+18 = Y permutation
The only thing about T is that you cut out F' and F and combine R and R to R2. So you got more freedom for your PLL step.

It's a great guid, but that's what I would.
And of course don't stick to fridrich, they should look into all methods to see what suits them, also keyhole can be a nice advantage of the guid.