• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

How the heck does hair end up in your cube

WCA
2018BRUM01
I am cleaning out my gan x and has tons of hair in the core. I am very curious how it gets there. I have short hair, and I don't really let anybody else use my cubes so how is there big long strands of hair in the cube?

Christopher Mowla

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'll make a guess. When you're solving, you occasionally touch your shirt, chair, or shorts. Someone else's longer hair can most certainly be in those places. The hair then gets on your figures, and then gets onto the cube from your fingers. While turning, the hair gets stuck to the lube in between the cubies and then the lube takes the hair with it everywhere within the cube with it.

WCA
2018BRUM01
lol I guess the solution is to just cube naked
I'll make a guess. When you're solving, you occasionally touch your shirt, chair, or shorts. Someone else's longer hair can most certainly be in those places. The hair then gets on your figures, and then gets onto the cube from your fingers. While turning, the hair gets stuck to the lube in between the cubies and then the lube takes the hair with it everywhere within the cube with it.

White KB

Premium Member
WCA
2019BRUC01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
lol I guess the solution is to just cube naked
Not to get too graphic, but that wouldn't work, because *ahem* hair is all over you [r body].
The solution would really be to turn into a robot.
...Because that would TOTALLY work.

(Yep. Totally work. It would-- yep, mm-hmm, works.)

WCA
2018BRUM01
Not to get too graphic, but that wouldn't work, because *ahem* hair is all over you [r body].
The solution would really be to turn into a robot.
...Because that would TOTALLY work.

(Yep. Totally work. It would-- yep, mm-hmm, works.)
lol I could deffinetly comment on ways I could fix the fact that I have hair on my body but I would probably get banned. I don't want to turn into the gan robot either. Where is chris tran? Tell him to make a cube core that cannot get hair it, or a cubicle premium hair net or something.

White KB

Premium Member
WCA
2019BRUC01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
lol I could deffinetly comment on ways I could fix the fact that I have hair on my body but I would probably get banned. I don't want to turn into the gan robot either. Where is chris tran? Tell him to make a cube core that cannot get hair it, or a cubicle premium hair net or something.
I don't know.
But hey, you're the lucky winner...
Shortest time to reply to one of my posts!
(Completely unrelated but just saying)

WCA
2018BRUM01
You're handling what is essentially a plastic box full of (and usually covered in) sticky lube and you're surprised that outside detritus gets into it?

If you don't clean your puzzles regularly and wash your hands before using them then you're going to find a lot more that hair and dead skin inside them...
ok ima quit cubing now, go take a bath. and live in a vacuum for the rest of my life.

WCA
2018BRUM01
Heh, I haven't even started.

When I first moved to Japan I was struck by how rarely many Japanese people wash their hands with soap after going to the toilet, soap not even being provided in many public restrooms. This has lead me to become very wary of situations in which hygiene may be called into question. I wear gloves on the train to work when I'm not cubing, for example.

If you take a puzzle to school or to a competition and lend it to the people around you, even for a very short time, you can't predict what you'll get back. From the kid who's just eaten an aging egg-and-mayonnaise sandwich to the kid who's just been to the bathroom and skipped any form of hand washing. From the kid who has an eye infection he just can't stop playing with to the kid who likes to pick his nose. Little pieces of all of this and more will be on (and eventually in) your puzzle, mixing with the lube to create a grinding paste of nastiness and while people like to bemoan the less than sanitary nature of wrestling mats and bouncy castles, puzzles should be up there with things you need to be careful with.

Alcohol based hand cleaners and wipes will go a long way to manage what is on the outside of your puzzle and judicious cleaning will help with what is inside it.

You can't be too careful... Now, who's hungry?
Wow thanks for that amazing information. Isn't the life expectancy in japan supposed to be quite high? How do they do that without washing their hands? Will I live longer if I don't wash my hands? I have a lot of questions that are probably better left unasked right now.