• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

How much did your average drop after learning whole OLL and PLL?

PianoCube

Difficult to say. I improved from ~30 to ~20 from before and after learning full OLL. It's worth to mention that it took me a year though, so most of my improvements came from other stuff.

aboeglin

Yeah. The reality is that you don't need it before then.

It's funny to think I used to be like "Oh I'm not going to learn full OLL. It only drops two seconds or so"
If only I could drop two seconds or so now :(

I don't fully agree with this. Even though until sub20 F2L is being the hardest part to improve and should be the biggest focus, I think that learning OLL as soon as possible can only help later. All the solves you do when your learned full OLL will be using full OLL for the LL, which in turn helps a lot with performing the algs. Even after having performed an alg 1000 times you still improve at them even if it's a small amount, and to perform 1000 times an OLL alg you might do in average 57,000 solves since there are 57 of them ( assuming each as the same probability to show up even though it's not true ). Also, learning full OLL earlier will also drop one's average 2-3sec. You can't tell someone, no, keep at 26, you got to get sub25 by improving your F2L, learning full OLL at your average is cheating.

I average low 30s, I'm really close to get sub30, I still want to get my F2L a little more consistent so I don't have much time to work on learning algs, but I'll definitely get started with learning full OLL as soon as I'm sub30. By the time I handle the 50 algs to go full OLL properly I'll most likely have a beginning of look ahead working out which might lead me to about sub25, at least that's how I see it.

To conclude I'd say that, when to learn full OLL is everyone's decision, if you feel you can take another bunch of algs and you feel it can improve your average there's no point waiting. It's not because some people could go sub20 or sub15 without it that you need too.

Bossman

Beginners method i averaged 45 then after learning 2look OLL and full PLL as well as F2L i now average about 24

brian724080

Before when I used CFOP, I learned full PLL and I became sub-25, as of now I know about 30 random OLLs, and I'm still sub-20 with that even though I use ZZ.

YouTube
Visit Channel
After learning full OLL my average went from around 25 seconds to sub 20. Over half of that was from speeding up my F2L though. Full OLL knocked off about 3 seconds, the rest was F2L.

brian724080

After learning full OLL my average went from around 25 seconds to sub 20. Over half of that was from speeding up my F2L though. Full OLL knocked off about 3 seconds, the rest was F2L.

How did learning all 57 OLLs drop your time by 3 seconds? [F : [R, U]] and [F : [R, U]'] barely takes one second to execute. Plus, there's a factor of recognizing the OLL cases, which is a bit more difficult than recognizing OCLL.