• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

How long did it take you to get sub 1 minute on 4x4?

How long did it take you to get sub 1 minute on 4x4?

• Total voters

virginia

How long did it take you to get sub 1 minute on 4x4? Also, if people could comment with the choice they made in the poll as well as how much they practiced in that time span that would be great, thanks!

virginia

I do, but that's not what I was asking... I was asking how long it took for them to get sub one minute not what cube they use. If I wanted to know what cube they used, then I would have asked. Also, if these people are sub one they will have a good cube anyway
You don't think a good cube contribute to good times?

EmperorZant

WCA
2015LAUE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I average a minute flat, so I'm technically not Sub-1... but I can say with confidence that, if you're comfortable with your reduction and your 3x3 stage is fairly fast, then the most important thing is lookahead. Kind of like 3x3... except it's easier to get lost on 4x4, i.e. finding a center piece/edge typically takes longer than finding one F2L pair and sort of jumping back into the solve. Though big cubes take longer, I'd argue that lookahead on them is even more important for that reason: you do not want to break the flow of your solve, especially if it's a longer solve.

So practice a lot on not only making your 4x4 solves fairly efficient, but also fluid.

WCA
2015PEAR02
YouTube
Visit Channel
It took me years and years (at least 2). I remember I started doing 4x4 almost as soon as solving a Rubik's Brand 3x3 with the beginners method. I remember averaging 3mins and 2mins for a very very long time. I kept thinking how impossible it would be to average sub 2. Here I am now, averaging 42

xyzzy

Voted "not sub-1 yet" because I had a 1:00.66 ao50 yesterday. (So freakin' close.)

If you count all 444 practice, then that's starting from whenever I first got a Rubik's-brand cube (around ten years ago?).

If you count from when I got something that barely passes for a speedcube, that's since February 2016, when my times dropped from 3:40-ish to 1:40 pretty quickly.

If you count from when I switched from cage/sandwich to Yau, that's since 19th January this year, when I averaged about 1:20 and got to 1:10 in two weeks. (I'd never practised Yau seriously before then, other than a couple of untimed solves here and there just for fun.)

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
First got a 4x4 2 years ago. Started practicing (Yau) about 1 1/2 years ago at roughly 3:45ish. I have about 2,000 recorded solves since then. Today my rolling Ao100 dropped below 1:40 for the first time, and I got a PB single and my second-ever sub-1:20 with a 1:18.96. I average about 33 seconds on 3x3.

virginia

So I will get a 4x4 very soon, (I ordered one on lightake and it is already in the US) and I plan to practice it a lot. I average about 20-26 seconds on 3x3 and am in the process of learning pll. How long do you guys think it would take for me to be sub 1:00 if I practice every day for a little bit of time each day (15-30 minutes)? I know you can't give me a definitive answer but based on what you guys already know what do you think?

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
So I will get a 4x4 very soon, (I ordered one on lightake and it is already in the US) and I plan to practice it a lot. I average about 20-26 seconds on 3x3 and am in the process of learning pll. How long do you guys think it would take for me to be sub 1:00 if I practice every day for a little bit of time each day (15-30 minutes)? I know you can't give me a definitive answer but based on what you guys already know what do you think?

My first thought is that 15-30 minutes is probably not enough time to make very rapid progress. You're a little faster than I am on 3x3, so it stands to reason that you would be a little faster than me on 4x4. However, I really haven't put a lot of dedicated practice into 3x3 and I have into 4x4. Rather than setting out to be sub-1 I would suggest that you get your cube and do a few solves. Then set a goal to average a little better than what feels like a good single time, and when you meet that goal set a new one lower. Eventually you'll probably get to sub-1 without feeling like you're a failure because it took a long time.

Ordway Persyn

WCA
2016PERS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Probably depends on your 3x3 and 5x5+ practice in the given time. I'd assume with that amount of practice it would take 1-2 years. don't expect sub-1 to be easy, I'd compare it to sub 15 on 3x3.

tx789

WCA
2010HUNT02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Well I first got a 4x4 in 2009 and I took ages to learn partity. The Old Rubiks was such a bad cube it ended up so loose piece fell out mid turn. I average just over a minute. I average 15 on 3x3. My 4x4 times are slower compared to 6 months ago I haven't practised much.

virginia

Well I've had my 4x4 for about 3-4 days now and I just had my first sub 2 single today. Edge pairing and centers kill me!