• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

How long before your first sub1 BLD? And other misc questions

How long did it take for you to get your first sub1?

• 4 months

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • 5 months

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • 6 months

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 7 months

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • 8 months

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • 9 months

• 10 months

• 13 months

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • 16 months

• > 19 months

Votes: 12 46.2%

• Total voters

RyanReese09

Premium Member
WCA
2010REES01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Purely for my viewing pleasure, how long did it take? Also try to comment how much practice you had in between.

I'd also like to know how long it took you to switch over to comms, and what your first sub1 was with (comms versus M2/OP, etc, whatever method before comms)

This won't apply to many people here since not many people are sub1, but I'm curious :)

cmhardw

Premium Member
WCA
2003HARD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I can't answer the poll as it took me 7 years, or approximately 90 months in total. Switching over to comms was an instant switch, I just decided to do it and I did it. Getting good at using comms took me at least a month or two. I've only gotten sub-1 with comms and not with any other method.

RyanReese09

Premium Member
WCA
2010REES01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm sorry Chris, making the poll options were really difficult as I knew some of you have been cubing for quite a while and no sub1 successes for quite a while. I do apologize and I'm glad you posted and told me.

I tried to make my poll as fair as possible.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think you'll find that many of the people were over 19 months. Since sub-1 3x3x3 BLD is a relatively recent phenomenon (Danyang Chen and Marcus Stuhr and probably Rowe were doing it in 2007, but almost everyone else was 2008 or later), and many of the sub-1 people are long-timers, there are really only a few who will have gotten sub-1 in less than 19 months. On the other hand, if many of them were starting now, they would easily get there in less than 19 months.

L

lucarubik

i started en december last year and my best is 44 now, im not sure but i would say 4 months, maybe less. I got a 57 lucky when i was using 3OP/ M2

KJiptner

WCA
2007JIPT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I started practicing BLD probably around May 2007 and got my first sub-1 in November 2007. I think sub-1 was achieved by Danyang, Marcus Stuhr, Rowe, Rafal, Matyas (maybe), Chi Chu, Joey (maybe a bit later) and me. Sorry, if I'm forgetting somebody. It took me until 2010 to do it in comp. But I've swiched my entire method (memo and exec) in between.

Last edited:

TMOY

WCA
2008COUR01
Bump
I just dug into the francocube forum to find again the message announcing my first success ever, and according to that message, it happened on September 12, 2008. So 2 years, 10 months and 21 days for me.

With 3OP corners and BH edges.