• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

How good is "good"?

WCA
2008KINN01
YouTube
RowanKinneavy
Maybe we should make a similar spreadsheet which tells you the time required to be top 10/100/1000... At each event, I could obviously do it quite easily with the current results but there is probably a way of making it update automatically.
I've tried something similar before but failed. You just need to embed the respective elements to your site but I can't seem to extract them from WCA's result page.
Python + BeautifulSoup4 with cron jobs perhaps? Or if you'd rather set up a public Google Sheet and use JS, maybe you could try something similar to the getBlogPosts() function at the bottom of the Apps Scripting guide here? https://developers.google.com/apps-script/guides/sheets/functions#optimization

RE: OP's question, I'd say anything above +1 SD (top 30ish%) makes you certifiably 'good', in the general sense. But if you're asking if any individual is any good, then it's always going to be 'well, what's good for you?'. The answer to that will depend on complicated things like hours invested * intensity of effort; factors like propensity for future improvement, availability of free time/attention for thinking about cubing, perhaps whether they're surrounded by other cubers all day - or have learned and developed completely solo. There's also a thing where the spectrum for who gets to be classed as 'good' depends a lot on who you ask (i.e. how competitive they are).

In a way I appreciate how a few have simply put ridiculously fast times, because there's some truth to it. Either you're pursuing self-mastery, relative excellence, where 'good' is totally dependent on where you're at in your development, how much work you know you've put into getting better - which is to say there's no single answer to your question. Or, you're pursuing absolute excellence, that's to say you're looking to be among the very best in your chosen pursuit - in which case the definitive answer is always and only 'better than #1'.

YouTube
CoachTabeCubing
3x3- sub 6.5
mbld-sup-50
pyra-sub-2
I mean that's like, world class, which is what "Good" is imo
World class is a whole lot different than good. By your definition, there are only 12 good 3x3 people in the world which is obviously nonsense.

Or MBLD, where no one has a sup-50 single officially, so no one is "good". Sorry Graham.

Or Pyra - sorry Drew Brads, with your 7 pyraminx world records, you're not "good".

C'mon.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'd say "world class" is top 100. My post was in response to Parke187 saying sub-6.5 for 3x3 is that defines "good".
I wasnt nessecarily saying officially lmao
All those times are good, better than that would be pretty good, anything slower is decent but not good.
Drew is not that good at pyra,world records dont define if you're good. And in the words of tymon kolasinski, tymon kolasinski is bad.
Graham isnt good officially yet either.
You're right btw, 12 good 3x3 people in the world is too many, there really is only like 5 or 6. :)

location is not displayed due to character limit
WCA
2016EVAN06
I wasnt nessecarily saying officially lmao
All those times are good, better than that would be pretty good, anything slower is decent but not good.
Drew is not that good at pyra,world records dont define if you're good. And in the words of tymon kolasinski, tymon kolasinski is bad.
Graham isnt good officially yet either.
You're right btw, 12 good 3x3 people in the world is too many, there really is only like 5 or 6. :)
I think that the people who most cubers consider 'good' don't consider themselves 'good'. Max Park is so far ahead of everyone else at 7x7 but he still wants to be faster, I assume he gets angry if his solve isn't sub 2 even if he doesn't show it. Stanley Chapel is so far ahead at 4/5BLD but has almost no reaction at his world records because I assume he wants to be even faster, to further push the limits.

Want to hide this ad and support the community?