• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

How fast should I be at this point?

Prismatic

I've only been speed cubing for about a month or a little less. I average about a minute and a slightly less for a 3x3. So, as you can see, I'm a beginner. I mastered the beginners method in 2 days or so. And right now, I use F2L and a little bit of 2 Look OLL.

I just wanted to know based on others that have been speed cubing for quite some time, am I slow for a beginner? Or am I on a good track and with more practice, I'll get better? Also I want to know (if you remember) what was your average when you speed solved for a month.

Logical101

I'm around that point too but I've been cubing for about 2 months and I'm using the biginers method mashed with keyhole f2l, and funnily I'm going to the Australian nationals in September lol

CADcubing1

I feel like I'm the worst cuber ever! I continue to practice and I dropped my times down to around 40 seconds but i still get 50-60 second solves. My averages are always different. Just yesterday actually I was looking through my times on 5Timer cube timing app for apple products and I had a 35 second solve (PB), 56 second solve, 40 second solve, and all these other random solves between 35 sec- 1 minute. What am I doing wrong! How come my range of solve times can still be as high as my solves from 2 months ago!

Prismatic

I feel like I'm the worst cuber ever! I continue to practice and I dropped my times down to around 40 seconds but i still get 50-60 second solves. My averages are always different. Just yesterday actually I was looking through my times on 5Timer cube timing app for apple products and I had a 35 second solve (PB), 56 second solve, 40 second solve, and all these other random solves between 35 sec- 1 minute. What am I doing wrong! How come my range of solve times can still be as high as my solves from 2 months ago!

Well, I can't speak from great experience since I am a beginner, myself. But I'm guessing that you mess up sometimes, or you do better according to whatever case it may be. Or it could be how fast you are going, slow down so that your solves are smoother.

pkvk9122

It was very frustrating to break the 45 second barrier when i was cubing... I seeked help from the pros (I was travelling and attended comps) and they suggested to just stick to the beginner method and just practice till you reach 40 seconds average. and THEN they'd say to switch to f2l or something more complex. It took me a LONG TIME... and an even longer time to break 15 seconds...

So dont feel bad at your times... I've been cubing for like 6 years? Compared to Felix who only has a couple years if I'm not mistaken...

CADcubing1

It was very frustrating to break the 45 second barrier when i was cubing... I seeked help from the pros (I was travelling and attended comps) and they suggested to just stick to the beginner method and just practice till you reach 40 seconds average. and THEN they'd say to switch to f2l or something more complex. It took me a LONG TIME... and an even longer time to break 15 seconds...

So dont feel bad at your times... I've been cubing for like 6 years? Compared to Felix who only has a couple years if I'm not mistaken...

Thank you for the support. I might just try that out and it seems that I have broke the 45 second barrier but still get solves over that, then which I guess isn't breaking the barrier. HA! :D

pipkiksass

YouTube
Visit Channel
Thank you for the support. I might just try that out and it seems that I have broke the 45 second barrier but still get solves over that, then which I guess isn't breaking the barrier. HA! :D

This is why averages are so much more important than single solves. You will always get the occasional solve that is way higher than your current average, but you will also get the occasional solve that is way lower.

Don't expect to suddenly stop doing slower solves - just look at the world championship results - there were sub 10 cubers doing the occasional 12 second solve. DO, however, expect to become more consistent. As your F2L cases become more familiar, your crosses become more consistent, and your last layer algs become more muscle-memory than actual recall, the variation of your times (standard deviation) will reduce.

Let's say you currently average 45 seconds, but occasionally you have 1 minute solves, and occasionally 30-something solves. This is entirely 'normal', mathematically speaking - it's what you would expect. Breaking the barrier is about making your AVERAGE under 45 seconds.

MWilson

His first video was posted a little over five years ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OudEW-D9B6c

DaveyCow

WCA
2012WING01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Just be as fast as you are and keep improving and that's all that really matters.

I 100% fully second this - everyone is different and improves at different rates. There is no "how fast should I be by now" because it's different for everyone. The bezt thing to do is not worry about how fast you "should" be and just focus on having fun learning and improving - compete with yourself, not others.

CADcubing1

This is why averages are so much more important than single solves. You will always get the occasional solve that is way higher than your current average, but you will also get the occasional solve that is way lower.

Don't expect to suddenly stop doing slower solves - just look at the world championship results - there were sub 10 cubers doing the occasional 12 second solve. DO, however, expect to become more consistent. As your F2L cases become more familiar, your crosses become more consistent, and your last layer algs become more muscle-memory than actual recall, the variation of your times (standard deviation) will reduce.

Let's say you currently average 45 seconds, but occasionally you have 1 minute solves, and occasionally 30-something solves. This is entirely 'normal', mathematically speaking - it's what you would expect. Breaking the barrier is about making your AVERAGE under 45 seconds.

SO TRUE! I'm pretty sure the more I practice the faster I'll get. Thank you so much. Fazrulz1 is Feliks right?

pipkiksass

YouTube
Visit Channel
SO TRUE! I'm pretty sure the more I practice the faster I'll get. Thank you so much. Fazrulz1 is Feliks right?

No problemo. Yes, you will get faster with practice. There are, however, two types of practice. Repeatedly solving will make you more consistent, whereas targeted practice will make you more efficient. What this means is that just repeatedly solving won't make you better, it will just help you to drill what you already know. If you are currently capable of a 40 second solve, repetitive solving will bring the majority of your solves closer to that figure (i.e. reduce your standard deviation). If you practice with a specific goal in mind, you can improve the efficiency of that area of your solve.

I'd recommend combining the two - solve lots until your averages are more consistent, then drill something, like PLLs, OLLs, or work on F2L efficiency. Then solve lots to make your new techniques part of your normal solves. Repeat.

Check out this thread. It's possibly the best thread on the forum.

Clarkeeyyy

WCA
2013CLAR04
YouTube
Visit Channel
What this means is that just repeatedly solving won't make you better, it will just help you to drill what you already know.

But sometimes people don't realise how fast they would be if they could optimize their current solves. For example I am down to 20 seconds, which I do not consider fast, with almost zero targeted practice. I don't know full OLL, my look ahead is well below average and my PLL recognition is pretty awful. I want to see how fast my solves can go before I need to seriously structure my practice.