• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

How fast are the over 40's in competitions?

Logiqx

WCA
2015GEOR02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Dear Logiqx, I hope you are well. I went to my first comp after 2 years, now that I live in France. I met an oldie there, Helmut Heilig, very nice chap. I also have some new records and wondered if you could add them to the over 40s tables please? 3x3x3 single 14.78 and an average of 17.79 :) Thank you! http://cubecomps.com/live.php?cid=4144&compid=120

Hey Nico. I normally run a refresh on Mondays and Tuesdays to catch the weekend results. Your results should show up early this week.

Logiqx

WCA
2015GEOR02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I've added some stats relating to completeness.

Percentage coverage for 3x3x3
90% of sub-15 | 50% of sub-20 | 43% of sub-25 | 34% of sub-30 | 25% of sub-45 | 21% of sub-1:00

3x3x3 variations have greater coverage
OH: 70% of sub-0:40 | 3BLD: 80% of sub-3:00 | Feet: 90% of sub-3:00 | FMC: 100% of sub-40

Big cubes have even greater coverage
4x4: 100% of sub-1:15 | 5x5: 100% of sub-2:30 | 6x6: 100% of sub-5:00 | 7x7: 100% of sub-8:00

Last edited:

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
I just now noticed - Mats Bergsten completely dominates the 60+ list. First in every single category (and only person in most categories). :)

Pretty nice, Mats!

Edit: it just occurred to me that I'm going to mess his list up pretty substantially in a few years. :) But then he'll just go own the 70+ list, I guess.

pglewis

WCA
2016LEWI07
I just now noticed - Mats Bergsten completely dominates the 60+ list. First in every single category (and only person in most categories). :)

Pretty nice, Mats!

Edit: it just occurred to me that I'm going to mess his list up pretty substantially in a few years. :) But then he'll just go own the 70+ list, I guess.

You'll still have to earn it after you turn 60, don't forget ;). Mats really blows the curve for us oldies.

Last edited:

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
You'll still have to earn it after you turn 60, don't forget ;). Mats really blows the curve for us oldies.
I realize that, but I'm currently faster at almost everything (everything except 3BLD - it will take some work for me to beat Mats at 3BLD) than I ever have been. So I'm hoping that means it's just a matter of getting to the competitions. :)

pglewis

WCA
2016LEWI07
I realize that, but I'm currently faster at almost everything (everything except 3BLD - it will take some work for me to beat Mats at 3BLD) than I ever have been. So I'm hoping that means it's just a matter of getting to the competitions. :)

For some reason I was confusing Mats with Ron van Bruchem but Ron apparently isn't in the over 60's group yet, despite me subconsciously trying to rush him.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
For some reason I was confusing Mats with Ron van Bruchem but Ron apparently isn't in the over 60's group yet, despite me subconsciously trying to rush him.
I can't remember who gets there first - me or Ron. I know we're fairly close to the same age.

Edit: It's been a long time since I was sure of this, but I seem to vaguely recall that Ton is older than me, but I'm older than Ron. I admit I may have that completely wrong, though - the vague memory thing kind of comes with the category. :)

Tom Joad

Does anyone know if and when you just start getting slower as you get older?

I am 41 and can’t imagine that my times will just continue to decrease. Surely age just catches up at some point.

Those Ron stats are incredible, is he as fast today as he ever was?

Inspirational and cause for hope *does another session of 100 solves*

AbsoRuud

WCA
2019POLL04
YouTube
Visit Channel
Ron is 52.
I can't find Ton Dennenbroek's DOB but he started university in 1981, so I'm gonna assume he's from 1963 or 1962. Which makes him 56 or 57.
Whoever edited this post, his DOB is on Wikipedia. He's kind of a celebrity. I'm sure his DOB isn't private by any stretch of the imagination. :)