• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

How fast are the over 40's in competitions?

Logiqx

WCA
2015GEOR02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Thanks! 23rd fastest Pyramid single. I’ll take that.

Bear in mind that the partial rankings don't include all of the over-40's.

We've got just under 10% of the over-40's who've done 3x3x3 but we have 20% of the Pyra competitors.

In all but a couple of the WCA events we have >50% coverage for the top 20. The top 10 is complete in about half of the events.

Logiqx

WCA
2015GEOR02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I finished my competition and I would love to know how I'm scoring in the over 40s league. I also wonder if there's a Roux list somewhere where all Roux users are compared? Maybe a little off topic.

My WCA ID is 2019POLL04.

I've added you to the Over-40's list.

Although it would be cool there isn't any feasible way for anyone to maintain a Roux list.

inkoativ

Thanks for providing this analysis! In the post "Speedmining the cubing community" (http://staff.math.su.se/hoehle/blog/2019/05/06/wcamining.html) I wrote about an analysis, where I tried to figure out how much a skill outlier I would be as 40+ with a 180s 3x3x3 average at a a potential first WCA competition. Since the WCA database doesn't contain age (good from a data protection perspective, bad from a data science perspective) I could only assess it by comparing to all cubers... Some of the remarks suggested that many of the cubers in the 180s+ skill bracket are parents accompanying their kids (with the ambition to have some fun, but not caring about the time). This seems to be confirmed somewhat by the higher proportion of "slow" cubers in that bracket.

Last edited:

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Some of the remarks suggested that many of the cubers in the 180s+ skill bracket are parents accompanying their kids (with the ambition to have some fun, but not caring about the time). This seems to be confirmed somewhat by the higher proportion of "slow" cubers in that bracket.
I've certainly seen this to be often true. Of course, my family works the other way - I had several members of my family who were either wife accompanying her husband, or kids accompanying their father. :) But 2 of my 3 kids eventually got consistently sub-minute.

Logiqx

WCA
2015GEOR02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Thanks for providing this analysis! In the post "Speedmining the cubing community" (http://staff.math.su.se/hoehle/blog/2019/05/06/wcamining.html) I wrote about an analysis, where I tried to figure out how much a skill outlier I would be as 40+ with a 180s going to a potential first WCA competition. Since the WCA database doesn't contain age (good from a data protection perspective, bad from a data science perspective) I could only assess it by comparing to all cubers... Some of the remarks suggested that many of the cubers in the 180s+ skill bracket are parents accompanying their kids (with the ambition to have some fun, but not caring about the time). This seems to be confirmed somewhat by the higher proportion of "slow" cubers in that bracket.

That's a cool investigation and nicely written. Thanks for sharing.

If you're on Facebook then have a look at the group Senior Cubers Worldwide. We have beginners to sub-15 solvers in the age 40+ bracket and it's a great place for advice and motivation.

Logiqx

WCA
2015GEOR02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Rankings for 40+, 50+, 60+, 70+ and 80+ are now available!

I have also tweaked highlighted people who are older than the group with a label such as 50+.

e.g. The 3x3x3 single of 5:52 is highlighted by 90+.
1f62e.png

pglewis

WCA
2016LEWI07
And you're still doing it where you have to be 50+ at the time of your solve for it to count towards this age bracket? Fantastic.

Yeah, when I first took a look at my 3x3 average in the over 50s I thought there was something amiss in the math... but I forgot I landed a counting :57 at my last comp lol.