• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

How fast are the over 40's in competitions?

Logiqx

WCA
2015GEOR02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I've updated these results again following UKC 2015.

Multi-blind has been added. The year is now shown next to each result and I've added numbering to make it a bit easier to interpret.

I forgot to add links to the WCA site... next time!

RicardoRix

WCA
2013LEIS01
Thanks for the update.

Something is not quite right, you have my year of birth correct, I am 43 but it says I'm 41. I was 41 when I registered in 2013.

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yes thanks Mike. I think the ages in the tables show the age at which the result was achieved. I was going to ask Mike if that was the case, but then checked instead, and individuals are indeed shown at different ages for different results. I agree with that, as results achieved a few years ago when sub-40 should be excluded.

Logiqx

WCA
2015GEOR02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Something is not quite right, you have my year of birth correct, I am 43 but it says I'm 41. I was 41 when I registered in 2013.

I have your YOB as 1973 based on your intro in the "Older Cubers" thread. I've gone for the same age system as various sports... i.e. age at midnight on 1st Jan applies to the whole year.

Everyone born in 1973 would have been 41 at midnight on 1st Jan 2015 so that's the age attributed to all competitions during 2015.

Yes thanks Mike. I think the ages in the tables show the age at which the result was achieved. I was going to ask Mike if that was the case, but then checked instead, and individuals are indeed shown at different ages for different results. I agree with that, as results achieved a few years ago when sub-40 should be excluded.

Yes. The age alongside a result is based on age at the start of that year (described above) so it will sometimes show one year younger than reality.

I turned 43 in July but my results shown me as 42 because that was my age on 1st Jan. Results prior to turning 40 are excluded.

Edit: Hopefully the original post clarifies how ages are handled (red text).

Last edited:

RicardoRix

WCA
2013LEIS01
Holy cripes I'm not 43, I'm 42. How the hell did that happen! Can we have this conversation again, I might end up back being in my 30's.

moralsh

WCA
2013MORA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I was already 40 when I did my FMC PB, in fact I've only been to one comp being 39 and I have no PBs remaining from back then, I guess that your cut off for making into the list is being already 40 on January 1st of the year of the comp, right?

I guess I'll have to set a new PB. Thanks for the work Mike!

muchacho

WCA
2016ALAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Wrong, that FMC PB should be added. Even if you had a PB from that first comp (since it was also 2013, which is the year you became 40, even if you weren't 40 at the moment of that comp) it would have been added.

Logiqx

WCA
2015GEOR02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I was already 40 when I did my FMC PB, in fact I've only been to one comp being 39 and I have no PBs remaining from back then, I guess that your cut off for making into the list is being already 40 on January 1st of the year of the comp, right?

I guess I'll have to set a new PB. Thanks for the work Mike!

Yes. There are numerous sports which use the same system. Your age on 1st Jan essentially lasts until 31st Dec so in your case (born in 1973) you are considered to be 39 during 2013.

Example: I currently possess a UK windsurfing title of first "master" (40+) yet three guys ranked higher than me this year are 40. One of them turned 40 before any events this year but he was 39 on Jan 1st so he was not eligible for the title, despite being 40 at every single event.

Wrong, that FMC PB should be added. Even if you had a PB from that first comp (since it was also 2013, which is the year you became 40, even if you weren't 40 at the moment of that comp) it would have been added.

There is no wrong or right as it is calculated from the year alone. It could be based on age at the start of the year, age at the end of the year or any arbitrary date in between.

The calculation simple ensures that results are definitely for 40+ rather than 39+.

Last edited:

LL Cool Skip

WCA
2012LOET01
I just realized recently that my stats are included in this thread. I'm delighted to say that my recent 2x2 average puts me in first place for competitors over 40. Sadly, I'm not over 40.

Bill

I have not competed in quite a few years...I am 66 now.

YOB: 1949
2004MCGA01

I did a 23.75 in competition when I was 55. Average of 32.03. 4x4x4 2:19.77.
I was quite a bit faster when I wasn't in competition. I found that I tended to get very nervous and never did master those nerves.

I don't practice much these days, but did a 24 second solve the other day. I usually can do from 3 to 5 minutes blindfolded. I do plan to return to
competition at some time in the future.