• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

How do you inspect in a ZZ solve?

I am a intermediate solver in ZZ method and I take too much time to inspect the EOline especially 6 wrong edges?
How do you solvers inspect the EOLine....do you check the first U and D faces and then the E slice or do you check F and B faces and then S slice

Also how can I track the line edge pieces and can you give me some tips for 6 wrong edges.......

Sorry for asking too many question in one thread

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
First, I look at the U/D faces for whether there would be more oriented edges with blue or red front. I then do the same in the E slice. I then rotate if necessary to whichever orientation has fewer misoriented edges.
When inspecting for EO, I look at the U face, then the D face, then the E slice (same order as before).

I can't track line edge pieces :p
For 6 bad edges, you can orient 3 and misorient one edge; this leaves you with 4 edges to orient, which can be done easily.

AlphaSheep

WCA
2014GRAY03
I'm also only an intermediate ZZ solver, but I've been using it for 6 months and my EOLine is almost always under 10 moves, so I'll give some advice.

Regarding line edges, I try to keep them on opposite faces if possible by picking F vs F' and B vs B'. If I do this, I know more or less where to look for them, and the line is often only 2-3 moves after finishing EO.

I count edges on the L face first, then BU and BD, then FU and FD, and finally R. I put my fingers on them until I see familiar patterns of 4, and then I just remember the patterns. This only takes me 3-6 seconds, depending on the number of bad edges.

I solve most of the 4 edge cases by muscle memory, so if it's 4 edges, I'll launch right into the solve, and try to track my line edges.

If there are 6 bad edges, I plan how to group 3 with one of the good edges in 2 or 3 moves. Then I decide which way to turn F or B that will make a 4 edge case that I like and can execute quickly. 3 bad edges on one face and 1 on the opposite face is probably the one I aim for most. I don't need to plan how to solve the 4 edge case that comes up, because it's all muscle memory and I can figure out which case it will be in inspection maybe 80% of the time.

10 bad edges is the one I dislike most and I don't have a good way of dealing with it. Supposedly, being y-neutral is the way to go for 10 bad edges, but I'm not quite there yet.

AlphaSheep

WCA
2014GRAY03
I can help you with that..............you can track the two good edges instead of ten wrong edges and can place then on UR/UL and DL/DR............. then you can solve the EO by FB'R'FDF' or F'BR'FDF' or something like that. I don't know if it is the best way or not.........but it definitely helps:D.........Good luck and long live ZZ!!!

Maybe I should try doing that more often. I usually do what is essentially a 4 then 6 edge case instead of a 4+4+2.

What I usually do is get one good edge on the S slice, and one on either F or B, then I do an F and B turn, leaving a 4 edge case. I choose the direction of the F and B turns to put the new bad edge on the side that already has two bad edges, which makes sure it's an easy case that's left..

For example: Scramble: x2 FD'F'RBF'
U' //Put a good edge on the front
F' B // Flip 7 bad edges and 1 good, leaving a nice 4 bad edge case.
R' U' D F // solve the 4 bad edge case that's left
D' R2 D' // Finish line

Sounds simple, but I can never almost never track the line edges through that many moves, and if I rush it, I often discover later in the solve that I missed a couple edges. Also, as you can see, 10 move EOLine whereas optimal is always 8 moves or less for 10 or less bad edges...