• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Use of inspection in unofficial solves

Do you practice with 15 seconds inpection?

• yes

Votes: 14 41.2%
  • no

Votes: 10 29.4%
  • it depends

Votes: 10 29.4%

• Total voters
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
I've watched so many videos of fast cubers training unofficially, and most of them don't use inspection countdown at all.

Even Max Park, that uses all that fancy competition enviroment doesn't seem to respect the 15 seconds

What are your toughts about this? Does training with unlimited inpection affect your performance in competition?

Last edited:

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Do you see them actually go over 15 seconds very often?

It seems like in most home videos I watch, the experts tend to take much less than 15 seconds inspection, but I guess I haven't watched as many lately. I know that even if I'm doing an untimed solve, I'm typically counting the 15 seconds in my head while inspecting, just out of habit, and I rarely ever go over. But maybe that's one of the things that holds me back from improving more quickly?

DGCubes

WCA
2013GOOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I always use Stackmat, so there's no good way for me to practice with inspection. I generally just assume I don't go over 15 seconds since I never have trouble with this in competition (although there are definitely some solves where I realize too late that I probably overinspected due to not thinking about the 15-second time limit).

nms777

I always use 15 second inspection unless I'm using a stackmat timer, which I usually don't do because I have no convenient way to time the inspection with it, but I don't tend to go over 15 seconds anyway unless I'm doing something I'm less experienced at.

EHAshe

WCA
2017ASHE01
It depends on what I'm using to time my solves. If I'm using my stackmat timer, then I don't use inspection, but I try to keep my inspection short-ish. If I'm using the Cube Timer app on my phone, then I will use the 15 seconds for inspection.

pglewis

WCA
2016LEWI07
Pretty much the same as @DGCubes. For sessions I would "count" for the purposes of PBs I use Stackmat and have a reasonably good feel for the inspection limit and keep it under that.

I have been doing some unlimited inspection drills lately to attempt tracking the first pair and if I time those I don't consider them "valid" beyond giving me an idea of how much improvement might be found there.