• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

How Common is Colour Neutrality?

Are you colour neutral?

• Yes

Votes: 63 31.5%
  • No

Votes: 80 40.0%
  • Partially

Votes: 57 28.5%

• Total voters

gundershot

YouTube
Visit Channel
I was always under the impression that being colour neutral was a normal thing, I was able to master colour neutrality in about 2 weeks. After some searching about colour neutrality, it seems to me that most people can only start on white. Is colour neutrality really that uncommon?

MadeToReply

WCA
2012LIMR01
i start on blue :3, but some people find it hard changing the way they look at the cube. For example i look for the blue pieces and you would look for an easy cross. Imagine me trying to look for an easy cross when my mindset is blueeeish.

JasonK

Premium Member
WCA
2011KILB01
I was always under the impression that being colour neutral was a normal thing, I was able to master colour neutrality in about 2 weeks. After some searching about colour neutrality, it seems to me that most people can only start on white. Is colour neutrality really that uncommon?

It's definitely not the most common way, but it's not that uncommon either. Most CN people started that way, or went CN very soon after they started. People who try to switch when they're more experienced tend to take a lot longer to do so, and it's debatable whether it's worth it to switch at that point.

Maccoboy

i recently (last 5 months) have taught my uncle to cube, he's 25 and i gave him a zhanchi and told him every solve to use a deferent colour, now he is 100% colour neutral :D

wish someone had told me to do that when i started :p

Ross The Boss

WCA
2012SVEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
whenever one of my friends wants to get into cubing, i tell them to solve on whichever colour has the easiest cross. they listen at first, but after they see fast people on youtube that only solve on white or yellow, they just start solving on one colour.

Alcuber

WCA
2010WHIT01
Always have been colour neutral, in fact, when I started I didn't know there was such thing as not being colour neutral. I think it's easier to be CN though if you solve on a different colour every time when you first start cubing so that you don't get used to one colour in particular.

ySoSrs

I'm not color neutral, although I only started cubing recently. After seeing this: http://www.cubezone.be/crossstudy.html , I decided not to do the extra effort to be color neutral since on average you only save one move. For people who are near the WR this can make the difference, for me, not so much. :)

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm not color neutral, although I only started cubing recently. After seeing this: http://www.cubezone.be/crossstudy.html , I decided not to do the extra effort to be color neutral since on average you only save one move. For people who are near the WR this can make the difference, for me, not so much. :)
Same here. I decided that I would probably gain more speed benefit from having easier recognition through using a consistent white-cross color scheme.

stoic

Premium Member
WCA
2013DEAR01
I solve on white. I did try CN for a while but didn't have the determination to see it through. Occasionally I will solve on yellow if I happen to see a very easy cross or the opportunity to preserve a pair, but it's not often.

DuffyEdge

WCA
2013CRON01
YouTube
Visit Channel

It's not the moves saved which gives CN it's advantage, it's the more efficient look-ahead which results from an easier cross

It may not save too many moves for just the cross, but has anyone done the maths on CN for XCross, and how many moves that saves (or theoretically could save)?

speedcuber50

I'm not colour neutral at all. I've tried it many times before, but every time I failed horribly. My mother used to say that I should be colour neutral because it would make solving the cube more interesting. Not if it gives me a slower time!!!

Having read this though, I think I'm going to try white/yellow neutrality, as it seems to be the most popular. But, what are the benefits of being colour neutral???

jayefbe

WCA
2013BAHR02
I'm not CN and don't plan to be. One of these days I will work on W/Y CN but have no plans to try to be full CN. I personally think my practice time is much better spent working on other things.

Renslay

WCA
2005HANT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm partially color neutral; and I think that - at least for me - it's not worth to leart full CN. There are so much more other - and easier - ways to imporve my times.

omer

I was fully CN until I was on a 30-second average. Then I tried doing W/Y only and after a while my times dropped like 3 seconds, never went back to CN again. I can solve CN, it just takes a little bit more time because of recognition/look ahead, which are really bad.