• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Member Intro] Hi, I'm new here, love all kinds of puzzles

SaMn37

Hi,

I'm Samuel from Finland, been casually solving on and off for years, only now looking more into the speed part of it.

My absolute favorite (and worthy of all the known praise) main 3x3 is the original Rubik's cube. Not sure if the version with or without stickers though. :cool:

Jokes aside...:D my main... right now it's the Qi Yi Warrior W Stickerless, even though I'd like to get used to my new MoYu GTS3LM better. I average around 1 minute atm, still working with Beginner's method but definitely looking into CFOP more in the following days/weeks.

I also like bigger cubes, got a V-Cube 5 and 7. The 5x5 takes about 8 min. The 7x7 took 46 minutes last time, but haven't done it completely without distractions yet.

Looking forward to seeing solving times get better and of course all discussion here. :)

Het Mehta

Welcome
maybe you should get the yuxin cloud 5x5 and yuxin little magic 7x7

SaMn37

Welcome
maybe you should get the yuxin cloud 5x5 and yuxin little magic 7x7
Welcome, you probably want to get a better 5x5 such as the QiYi MS and 7x7 such as the xman spark M

I do feel the need for smoother big cubes. My best source online store doesn't have exactly those 5x5's, but are...
  1. YuChuang 5x5 M or
  2. QiZheng or
  3. YJ MCG 5x5 or
  4. MoYu MF5
...any good?

I've also had this craving to get a bundle with every pillowed and non pillowed version of 2x2 to 9x9 V-Cubes, but I'm sure there's people here who want to disapprove. Theyre not exactly very smooth, but then I'd have a chance to test the feel of every arrangement of big cubes up to 9x9 for about 230€/250USD. And it would be a nice collection.

Welcome to the forums! Have you looked into any other WCA side puzzles like the megaminx or square-1?

I've looked into them, just haven't gotten any (yet). I surely want at least a megaminx, maybe some pyraminx and a skewb. Maybe make all plural. Heh.

I am the Almighty squan abuser

What's all this about squan? Square 1 doesn't exactly seem like a puzzle I'd prioritize getting, but is it that bad? :D

SaMn37

Welcome to the forums!

man this is amazing how have we gone a full day without someone complaining that he mentioned CFOP
What have you done its gonna start

Hey, now that I haven't really started to really look into any technique yet, suggestions are welcome. Something that makes sense with bigger cubes as well. I'll compare them all anyway.

brododragon

Hey, now that I haven't really started to really look into any technique yet, suggestions are welcome. Something that makes sense with bigger cubes as well. I'll compare them all anyway.
CFOP is widely considered the best big cube method, and people say Petrus is probably the closest runner-up (without modifications, anyway).

WCA
2017OWEN01
My advice would be to learn CFOP, Roux and ZZ and get sub 40 with all of them (start with cfop as it will make the other 2 easier) and then choose which one you like best. They all have different pros and cons and you will gain a better understanding of the cube by learning all of them and the ones you don’t use will still be fun to solve with occasionally.

if you want to learn more there is a thread devoted to choosing a method but it is quite old and some of the info is outdated.

If you say that... then if you want to have an easier transition from LBL with a researched method, you should pick CFOP because there are many resources on how to get faster.
If you want to be fast but also "unique" you should pick Roux, not many people use it, it is pretty easy, there are only 40ish algs and it is a pretty intuitive method.
If you want a method with advanced tricks but not well researched, you should pick ZZ, but you will have to figure how to get faster yourself as there are not as many resources to get faster than CFOP.