• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Member Intro] Hi, I'm new here, love all kinds of puzzles

brododragon

My advice would be to learn CFOP, Roux and ZZ and get sub 40 with all of them (start with cfop as it will make the other 2 easier) and then choose which one you like best. They all have different pros and cons and you will gain a better understanding of the cube by learning all of them and the ones you don’t use will still be fun to solve with occasionally.

if you want to learn more there is a thread devoted to choosing a method but it is quite old and some of the info is outdated.
Where's the LEOR plug? Also, no Petrus?
If you say that... then if you want to have an easier transition from LBL with a researched method, you should pick CFOP because there are many resources on how to get faster.
If you want to be fast but also "unique" you should pick Roux, not many people use it, it is pretty easy, there are only 40ish algs and it is a pretty intuitive method.
If you want a method with advanced tricks but not well researched, you should pick ZZ, but you will have to figure how to get faster yourself as there are not as many resources to get faster than CFOP.
I think the if you like x do y method things don't really work, you just have to see what works for you or appeals.

Owen Morrison

WCA
2017MORR06
YouTube
Visit Channel
You said that you wanted something that would work with big cubes, and the only method that really works well is CFOP. I don't want to start a whole other argument about whether or not other methods work for big cubes, but I am just going to say they don't work if you want to get fast at big cubes.

Sub1Hour

WCA
2018BECK05
YouTube
Visit Channel
What's all this about squan? Square 1 doesn't exactly seem like a puzzle I'd prioritize getting, but is it that bad? :D
Square-1 is a puzzle that is severely underrated. It gets a bad wrap because it is definitely one of the harder puzzles to get good at due to stuff like CS and parity. If you are willing to buckle down and learn it, you won't regret it. Especially since there is so much development going on right now in the event, not to mention the plethora of small optimizations that can help cut your times down with little to no effort.

SaMn37

Seems like I'll stick with CFOP and consider learning the other methods later.

Roux is also good
If u dont like alfs
"alfs"?

Square-1 is a puzzle that is severely underrated. It gets a bad wrap because it is definitely one of the harder puzzles to get good at due to stuff like CS and parity. If you are willing to buckle down and learn it, you won't regret it. Especially since there is so much development going on right now in the event, not to mention the plethora of small optimizations that can help cut your times down with little to no effort.
I definitely would like some variation to the logic used in cubes. Would you recommend QiYi Square-1?

Sub1Hour

WCA
2018BECK05
YouTube
Visit Channel
I definitely would like some variation to the logic used in cubes. Would you recommend QiYi Square-1?
Absolutely not. It strips way to easily and it has tons of issues with stability. Not to mention that during solves some pieces literally pop up and out of the mechanism and you have to push it back into place. I have already said in other threads that the extra cornercutting that you get from the Qiyi and Qifa square-1s don't warrant buying it since all the other qualities are absolutely awful. The YLM magnetic square-1 is infinitely better since its around the same price but without all the issues. Its stable, fast, smooth, and magnetic. It also does not strip very easily at all and there are no issues with pieces breaking. Here is the link to buy it https://www.thecubicle.com/products...n square* OR body:"Yuxin square"&_ss=e&_v=1.0

SaMn37

Absolutely not. It strips way to easily and it has tons of issues with stability. Not to mention that during solves some pieces literally pop up and out of the mechanism and you have to push it back into place. I have already said in other threads that the extra cornercutting that you get from the Qiyi and Qifa square-1s don't warrant buying it since all the other qualities are absolutely awful. The YLM magnetic square-1 is infinitely better since its around the same price but without all the issues. Its stable, fast, smooth, and magnetic. It also does not strip very easily at all and there are no issues with pieces breaking. Here is the link to buy it https://www.thecubicle.com/products/yuxin-little-magic-square-1-m?_pos=2&_psq=Yuxin square* OR body:"Yuxin square"&_ss=e&_v=1.0
Sadly the Qi Yi one is the only one I can easily find on online stores here in Finland. From the US shipping is nuts and anything over like 25 USD gets additional duty on top of it all. Gotta check the german Amazon or something.
algs* short for algorithms. Hehe typos.
I'm not 100% sure of my relationship with algorithms. It's fun to notice you just know an algorithm by muscle memory. I guess I'll find this out when looking more into CFOP

cuber314159

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Norther...
WCA
2016EVAN06
YouTube
Visit Channel
I do feel the need for smoother big cubes. My best source online store doesn't have exactly those 5x5's, but are...
  1. YuChuang 5x5 M or
  2. QiZheng or
  3. YJ MCG 5x5 or
  4. MoYu MF5
...any good?

I've also had this craving to get a bundle with every pillowed and non pillowed version of 2x2 to 9x9 V-Cubes, but I'm sure there's people here who want to disapprove. Theyre not exactly very smooth, but then I'd have a chance to test the feel of every arrangement of big cubes up to 9x9 for about 230€/250USD. And it would be a nice collection?
Out of those options the best is probably the
MGC 5x5x5, I wouldn't recommend vcubes, you can just get the meilong series for much less and they are much better puzzles (they also go up to 13x13 as well)

Owen Morrison

WCA
2017MORR06
YouTube
Visit Channel
Sadly the Qi Yi one is the only one I can easily find on online stores here in Finland. From the US shipping is nuts and anything over like 25 USD gets additional duty on top of it all. Gotta check the german Amazon or something.

I'm not 100% sure of my relationship with algorithms. It's fun to notice you just know an algorithm by muscle memory. I guess I'll find this out when looking more into CFOP
Speedcubing.org is a great place to get your cubes from. They are located in the UK so you won't have very expensive shipping to buy from them.

https://speedcubing.org/products/yuxin-little-magic-square-1m?variant=31219573719118

There is the cube @Sub1Hour recommended on speedcubing.org's website.

EDIT: never mind you would need to wait for it to come back in stock.

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results

NevEr_QeyX

The best way I've found to learn algs is:
1. Write down the alg and recognition on a sheet of paper, if you are learning PLL you would draw a 3x3 grid and fill it in with the opposite of your cross color, then color in the sides to look like the case you are trying to learn (it would look something like this). Once you do this I find it is immensely easier to learn algs.
1590097164415.png

2. Actually there is no other step, it's just that easy!