• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Hey, I'm Martin from Germany (currently living in Thailand)

MadCube

Hi everyone!

My name is Martin and I'm 20 years old. I come from Münster (Germany) but have been living in Bangkok (Thailand) since September last year.

I'm still very new to speedcubing and got introduced by my good friend Patrick, maybe better known as pjk, whom I met here in Bangkok through Couchsurfing.

I bought my first cube ever, 3x3x3, less than three weeks ago. Of course I immediately wanted to learn how to solve it but Patrick had something more challenging in mind: He wanted to teach me first how to solve it blindfolded before I could do it the "normal" way.

I accepted the challenge and 10 days later I did my first successful blindfold solve (it was the third attempt). In the beginning, I expected it to be much harder but Patrick could convince me that it is doable. However, I'm still very slow and need about 16 minutes on average, 8m memo and 8m execution.

My goals for the next time are to work on both faster memorization and execution. Yesterday, Patrick introduced me to Roux, so I'm working on the first step of building two 3x2x1 blocks now as well.

Martin

Echo Cubing

Hello! Martin! Welcome! unbelievable. I am also interested in BLD solve.;) and i still solve my 3*3 for minutes. haha,embarrassed it.

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
Nice to see you here, Martin, welcome. Tons of good info here. Browse around and search, and also checkout the wiki. Get involved in the German group too - there are lots of active German cubers.

MadCube

Thanks for the warm welcome and all the nice replies! It's great that such an active cubing community exists.

Welcome Martin! Great achievement!
Maybe you want to join the German discussions as well ;)

forum.speedcubers.de

Nice to see you here, Martin, welcome. Tons of good info here. Browse around and search, and also checkout the wiki. Get involved in the German group too - there are lots of active German cubers.

I'll definitely check out the German community, too. Especially once I'll be back in the country, it would be great to meet other cubers.

I already browsed the forum a bit but I'm still slightly overwhelmed by all the content. I guess it needs some time to get a good feeling for it ;)

Wilkommen! Warum wohnen Sie in Thailand?

Zurzeit absolviere ich in Bangkok ein Freiwilliges Soziales Jahr (FSJ) über den Freiwilligendienst des Auswärtigen Amtes, kulturweit. Danach beginne ich aller Voraussicht nach mein Informatikstudium an der TU München.

[I'm currently doing a one-year voluntary service in Bangkok. Afterwards, I'll start my studies in computer science at the Technical University Munich.]

JianhanC

WCA
2010CHOO02
That is really cool. All the best! :) Hope to see you in a comp in malaysia if we do have one within this year.

CY

Aw man! You can do BLD and I can't! I've been trying for almost a month...
Aside from that, welcome, and enjoy ur stay

P.S maybe you could provide me with some tips on BLD...

MadCube

I thought I would do a short update on my cubing progress here since my last post is not up-to-date anymore.

In the last two months, I didn't practice any BLD but instead focussed entirely on Roux. While my first solves were around 2 min, my average of 10 is now 31.67s.

Of course my goal for the following weeks is to break the 30s barrier. At the same time, I started picking up BLD using Classic Pochmann again a few days ago.

uniacto

WCA
2013KWON01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I thought I would do a short update on my cubing progress here since my last post is not up-to-date anymore.

In the last two months, I didn't practice any BLD but instead focussed entirely on Roux. While my first solves were around 2 min, my average of 10 is now 31.67s.

Of course my goal for the following weeks is to break the 30s barrier. At the same time, I started picking up BLD using Classic Pochmann again a few days ago.

owaitwaht. I'm in thailand right now.

most people do avg of 5 or avg of 12.

MadCube

owaitwaht. I'm in thailand right now.

most people do avg of 5 or avg of 12.

Cool! Where are you in Thailand?

Do you know of a good android app that takes averages of 12? Currently I'm using this one because it is the best I could find but it is still not perfect as it doesn't take averages of 12.

Guten Tag.

Guten Tag, wie geht es dir? ;)

cubesonfire

WCA
2013MALI01
Welcome here! I'm amazed that you could do BLD before normal solving. I'm also amazed at pjk for thinking of such a thing. Anyway, good Android cubing apps include SpeedCube timer and jjTimer. They both give scrambles for a variety of puzzles. jjTimer allows you to keep track of your best time,worst time, averages of 5,12 and 100 and also best averages of the same. SpeedCube timer is worth checking out too.