• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Help with cubesmith tiles

mark3

Peeling? Tiles don't peel. Do you have a picture so we could see he problem?

blgentry

Maybe you mean one of your blue tiles is coming loose from the cube surface? I've had this happen with several of mine, most from my finger nails hooking the tile and eventually bending them and pulling them up. Another from having something pressed against the tile in a hot car sitting in the sun.

I've been able to reattach tiles using 3M spray adhesive. I generally remove the cube piece that the tile goes on, then mask it off with masking tape and spray the square area where the tile goes. Then I spray the underside of the tile. I use a "medium" amount of adhesive spray: Not super light and not heavy.

You need to let the adhesive dry on both the tile and the cubie before you try to stick them together. It works *much* better that way. After they dry (5 to 10 minutes), remove the masking tape. Then carefully line the tile up, and press it onto the cubie. Once you're sure it's lined up perfectly rub it in to make sure you get a nice solid connection.

PS: A can of 3M spray adhesive costs about twice what a whole set of tiles costs. So if you already have some (or a friend, or parent, or shop teacher, or something) it's a great product. But I wouldn't buy it *just* for this use. I'd just get a new set of tiles to use as extras.

Brian.

poptheman1

YouTube
Visit Channel
Maybe you mean one of your blue tiles is coming loose from the cube surface? I've had this happen with several of mine, most from my finger nails hooking the tile and eventually bending them and pulling them up. Another from having something pressed against the tile in a hot car sitting in the sun.

I've been able to reattach tiles using 3M spray adhesive. I generally remove the cube piece that the tile goes on, then mask it off with masking tape and spray the square area where the tile goes. Then I spray the underside of the tile. I use a "medium" amount of adhesive spray: Not super light and not heavy.

You need to let the adhesive dry on both the tile and the cubie before you try to stick them together. It works *much* better that way. After they dry (5 to 10 minutes), remove the masking tape. Then carefully line the tile up, and press it onto the cubie. Once you're sure it's lined up perfectly rub it in to make sure you get a nice solid connection.

PS: A can of 3M spray adhesive costs about twice what a whole set of tiles costs. So if you already have some (or a friend, or parent, or shop teacher, or something) it's a great product. But I wouldn't buy it *just* for this use. I'd just get a new set of tiles to use as extras.

Brian.

My dad doesnt let me buy a lot of stuff online. And your problem is the same as mine. Adhesive Spray? Never heard of that. Sounds like a liquified glue. =P
Well gonna try to do what you said. =D

blgentry

Damon has a really good point too, and I forgot to add it to my instructions. You definitely want to clean off the tile and the cubie before you try to re-glue the tile in place. Alcohol works fairly well. Goo Gone works better if you have lots of adhesive left over.

3M spray adhesive, specifically Super 77 is a spray glue. It comes out sorta thick and dries to a tacky finish. It's been around forever and works really well for this type of thing.

Brian.