• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

help me choose speedcubing Method!

Status
Not open for further replies.

izovire

WCA
2009VROO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
If I were you I'd use the same method as the top 10 cubers in the world. They all likely use CFOP (I do too). But you could try out different methods to give them a try.... jus a lil try plz.

5BLD

WCA
2011LAUA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I used Gilles Roux's site. I've got a number of tutorials as well on my youtube channel. On my website too. (5bld.webs.com) Never finished them, I might if you want.
Oh, and I can teach you on skype if you want. It's fun teaching people :)

Last edited:

20four7n

I might pick roux.. i like the M slice ... ehhh then i will try some other methods... I gotta find out some websites or vids that can teach me now.. any ideas?

20four7n

Yeah sure, that would be great!!, one problem though, I am about to go to sleep, its 1:05 am where i live.. maybe we can meet on skype tomorrow?

20four7n

Uhh, right now it is 1:11 AM.... I will be on forums/skype tomorrow from 11AM - about the time right now, so ill meet you at approx 1:00 PM your time? (or earlier by up to 3 hours) if you want?
Ill re-download skype tomorrow

WCA
2011HAUP01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Fiddle with all of them; find which is your preference, but don't listen to those silly people who think CFOP is teh awesomez (just of note: simply because a lot of people are really good at it does not make it the best method), though don't listen to the ones who think it's teh suckz either, just decide for yourself.

As for myself, I use Roux and average around 15 - 16 seconds (though haven't practised recently), and since you seem quite interested in it, I might as well share what I used to learn it: Waffle's Roux Tutorial, as well as his website. Surprised it hasn't been mentioned much. It can be a bit of a... Err... "Interesting" read at times with Elmo spontaneously appearing out of nowhere (though I admit that can be amusing), but it's an informative tutorial and it was really helpful (at least for me).

Roux is a very efficient method, at least in terms of speedsolving, and when I averaged around 25, I literally had an average TPS of only 1.88, and most of the sub-10 solves I've achieved recently were probably under 5 TPS (even the 7.97, which is kind of scary). This just means you don't have to have fingers like Feliks' with such extreme speed that you make light jealous.

Last edited:

5BLD

WCA
2011LAUA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Heh, yeah; most of us rouxers are slow turners...
As for me, I go at like 4 tps... Maybe 3 and a bit.
But then I turn a little faster in cmll and mooing...

Yah, Roux is an efficient method, as long as you actually blockbuild.

Oh and I actually never used waffle's tutorial. I simply used Gilles'.
However, I can see why people prefer waffle's... The CMLLs. Roux's are so confusing.
I reversed each alg and saw the pattern, and kinda drew out a table...
I think that in the process of 'dissecting' the alg you learn them and understand them that bit more.
No offence to waffo. His tutorial's also good, but I prefer Roux's.

Last edited:
WCA
2011HAUP01
YouTube
Visit Channel
One of the 7s I had was under 4 TPS. Fullstep.

I rest my case.
I can't remember what my 7.97 TPS was (I did work it out, just for fun, since it's currently my PB), and it was fullstep. I think it was like 4.4 or something around there.

I say it again: you don't have to have fingers like Feliks' with such extreme speed that you make light jealous.

Edit: 5BLD - This is irrelevant to the topic at hand, but...
I didn't even bother with Gilles', so I never used it. I just jumped straight to Waffle's. Also, I don't only use Waffle's CMLL's. I got lazy and just reflected some of them, and I did notice some times when an alg was reversed for a different case. Personally, I feel if you actually want to understand the alg, you just slow down with it, and track the pieces. As long as you know commutators, you should be okay.
Personally, I only really used Waffle's tutorial for getting to sub-20. When I learned Roux, I read the quick description of it one the wiki and taught it to myself just from that. I did, however, go to his example videos afterwards and see some neat tricks, as well as some better ways to do the LSE on his website, not to mention when I finally wanted to learn full CMLL (which I still don't know...), I just referred to him. So, I'm somewhat self-taught (though, not really), but I still used tutorials in the end. I've actually never gone entirely through any of his videos besides the CMLL's and a few example blocks until after already being sub-20. Then again, I prefer text-based tutorials anyway (website).
However, I digress. It's a good tutorial and I definitely recommend it. I'm sure Roux's is good as well, though.

Last edited:

Vinny

WCA
2011VECC01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I use CFOP, but I've also learned roux and I think it's a bit more fun, too. instead of just looking for F2L cases and spamming algorithms for the last layer, the intuitive blockbuilding in Roux is really fun. I'm faster with CFOP, but I still like to practice Roux every now and then.

5BLD

WCA
2011LAUA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
O yeah, I remember... ¿Cómo es tu Roux yendo?

@phlippieskezer
Yes, I prefer text based too.
And. I confess. I was stupid enough not to understand Gilles' mooing tutorial.
So I worked it out myself... And then I went back, reread it and then understood it.

As for blocks, I do them my way, with a different colour scheme and method to Gilles.
My breakdown is different too.
Gilles is like 3-3-2-4 or something (don't quote me)
And I'm 3-3.5-4-3 ish.

It's interesting for me to compare different fast rouxers' breakdowns against mine and with one another..:

Last edited:

Vinny

WCA
2011VECC01
YouTube
Visit Channel
idk what yendo means, but I haven't practiced in a while.

I erased my times from Prisma at the beginning of the month, so it only has my times from this month. The overall mean is 22.01, and the best average of 12 is just under 20 seconds.

I would totally switch, but in my opinion it would probably be better to just stick with CFOP by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.