• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Hello! Need help for 3x3!

MewRage

So I have been cubing for 3 years and I took a loong break for almost a year. I have been practicing for the last week and I knew F2L and had a 1.20 min average. I still have a 1.20min average with F2L. How can i pass this god forsaken barrier >:C
My problem is pretty much everything? I take 30 seconds for F2L, I take forever to find how to do the cross and it's about ~5-10 secs and the 2 look oll and pll is ~35secs. Somebody help me please. And I need to know if there are any finger tricks for F, B, R, L, and etc.

aznanimedude

2 look OLL + 2 look PLL in 35 seconds....means average of almost 9 seconds per look? slow down a bit, make sure you understand the patterns, and practice your algorithms, should be able to reduce that by alot. even if you reduce it down to 5 seconds per step, that's 16 seconds shaved right there.

With F2L, there's not much to say besides, practice, slow solve, look at some cases but not in order to memorize, but to understand what exactly the algorithm provided is accomplishing, it pretty much boils down to, pair the 2 pieces together, then insert them somehow into the slot you want them to be in

MewRage

Well I use and learned intuitive F2L which might have caused a problem because when I am inserting a pair I do so much useless moves and same thing in the cross any help with that?

Schmidt

WCA
2012SCHM07
All crosses can be solved in 8 moves or less. If you use cstimer, it can show you the optimal cross solution. And (I might as well be the first to give this advice) check out Badmephisto on YouTube.

MewRage

I did see that video but still, I still don't get it to a hundred percent :/

Schmidt

WCA
2012SCHM07
Scramble cube, solve cross, Scramble cube, solve cross, Scramble cube, solve cross, Scramble cube, solve cross
And don't time yourself while doing this.
When you feel you can do this, try to close your eyes and solve the cross(or part of[1,2,3 or 4 pieces])

MewRage

Thank you and one last thing, do you know any good finger tricks or whatever to make F2L and F,B,L,R turns more comfortable?

Schmidt

WCA
2012SCHM07
One simple rule: try not to do F and B in F2L.
But if I have to I use right index for F, right thumb for F', right ring for B' and left ring for B (I told you it is a bad thing)

qqwref

WCA
2006GOTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yeah, intuitive F2L just means you should understand what you're doing - but if you are using way more moves than necessary, you need to rethink how you solve each case. Watching F2L tutorial videos or looking at lists of "algs" can help show you better ways of solving it.

MewRage

My advice would be just practice for now, and learn more advanced techniques later on. I think I was sub-40 using the beginners method before I started learning F2L

Well I already know F2L so there's no point in not using it and I don't like/know the beginners one anymore :p