• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Heise Simulator Keyboard Layout (Mac only)

Lucas Garron

Administrator
WCA
2006GARR01
YouTube
Visit Channel

I was using Ukulele to create a mapping for my new QBF keyboard layout, when I realized that the state system for entering accents was essentially a DFA which could be hacked to create a reasonable Heise Sim keyboard.

It essentially uses the keymapping below, but it can also move-cancel moves of the same type. Therefore, if you type F F U' L R' F' F' L' R U' F' F' , it will cancel to F2 U' L R' F2' L' R U' as you type.

Unfortunately, I don't think this is possible on Windows without some special program, which wouldn't feel as integrated. But if you know the Heise layout and have access to a Mac, I highly recommend you try it. It feels really cool. :cool:

heise_simulator_keyboard_layout.png

readme.txt said:
Heise Simulator Keyboard Layout for Typing Rubik's Cube Algs.
Idea and Implementation by Lucas Garron, March 7, 2010
Version 1.1

--------------------------------
ABOUT
This Mac OSX "keyboard layout" allows you to type Rubik's Cube algs using the fabulous controls invented by Ryan Heise and popularized at http://www.ryanheise.com/cube/speed.html
Cmd-Shortcuts will work as normal.

Made with Ukulele: http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&item_id=ukelele

INSTALLATION
Install the layout by copying "HeiseSimulator.keylayout" and "HeiseSimulator.icns" to Library/Keyboard Layouts or to ~/Library/Keyboard Layouts (create one of them if they don't exist).
You may need to log out of OS X and log in again before it will be available; then use System Preferences / Language & Tools / Input Sources to enable it. It should now be an option from the keyboard layout icon in the upper right of the screen. Please note the layout may not work on currently running programs until they are relaunched.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lucas Garron

Administrator
WCA
2006GARR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I can't the folder "Library/Keyboard Layouts or to ~/Library/Keyboard Layouts". Do I need to create one?
Yes. I'll add that to the next version of the readme.

I love having an M' key...
So do I. :p
(I actually added it here first. Now, how to add M...)

I'm not on my mac right now, but did you make it so while an f is a U', an F (capital) is a u'?
No, f is U', and shift-f is U2'. But thanks for mentioning that; I will add this functionality to the option keys.

masterofthebass

Premium Member
WCA
2007COHE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
you don't need readme.txt as its just a readme..

To change your keyboard layout, go into the system preferences -> language & text. Then go to the input sources tab and choose the layout you want. I would suggest adding an icon to your menu bar, since you won't be keeping it this way.

MichaelP.

WCA
2009PERK02
YouTube
Visit Channel
You may need to log out of OS X and log in again before it will be available
Have you tried that?

By the way, yes, that should be "Language and Text" (not "Language and Tools"), although it used to be under "Internationalization" before 10.6.

I logged out, but I still don't have a "Language and Text" option in system preferences, and I don't have an application to open it with.

masterofthebass

Premium Member
WCA
2007COHE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
If you just read that post, lucas says that its in Internationalization in 10.5 (leopard). I actually only remembered it as such when I went to go change my options. Also, if you ever have trouble finding ANYTHING on a mac, just search it. The little search bar in the system preferences shows you where everything you could possibly want is.