• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Greetings - MrSpike

MrSpike

Hello everyone, it's nice to be a part of the community!
I am a 16 year old English guy who has been cubing for about a month now (20th august 2011) and have been captivated by speedsolving and other twisty puzzles.
I have in that month aquired a regular storebought 3x3, Ghost Hand 3x3, 2x2, 4x4 and pyraminx. The collection continues to grow! I have a fastest 3x3 time of 42 seconds and a best average 10 of 12 of 56 seconds. Which I have impressed myself with!
My next challenge, in which I have started, is to learn how to BLD solve the 3x3x3. I have opted to use 3OP for my first method moving onto others later.

Please chat with me, I'd love to talk to you guys and share about hints and tips (considering I'm new I will probably just be recieving tips for now :p) so go ahead and talk to me here or send a message If you wanna chat/tutor or generally just talk cubes.

Thanks a lot,
MrSpike (Scott)

MrSpike

Hey, thanks for the tip. I will move straight to old Pochmann. :D I had only learnt a tiny amount anyway. Can old Pochmann be fast? Or does it allow the transition into faster methods later? thanks :)
And nice to see some other British people here too, although some diversity is awesome :p

Tao Yu

WCA
2012YUTA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey, thanks for the tip. I will move straight to old Pochmann. :D I had only learnt a tiny amount anyway. Can old Pochmann be fast? Or does it allow the transition into faster methods later? thanks :)
And nice to see some other British people here too, although some diversity is awesome :p

Well it can be fast but its not that good for transitioning to some other methods later(e.g BH). Faster methods are mostly 3 cycle and OP is 2 cycle

Its good for transitioning to M2 though, which is very fast

Last edited:

MrSpike

What would you recommend as a first BLD technique which can be fast and transposable to faster techniques? would you be able to link me to a good tutorial of what you would reccomend? Thanks :D

Tao Yu

WCA
2012YUTA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
What would you recommend as a first BLD technique which can be fast and transposable to faster techniques? would you be able to link me to a good tutorial of what you would reccomend? Thanks :D

Maybe stay with 3op then. I can't solve with 3op so I don't know of the best place to learn

M2 edges and Old pochmann is another choice and is very fast (sub 50 able) . Eric Limebacks tutorial so search for that on youtube.

the former is probably better for transposing to faster techniques.

the latter is easier and might be just as fast

MrSpike

Hey dude, I am in Durham County. Not gonna specify any further on the internet, but definitely North East. Not like the southerners who reckon Manchester is the north... No offence to anyone, but it's annoying xD.
But yeah! You're not alone! :D

MrSpike

I know, I just hear a lot of people from south England say "North, so Manchester?"
It's more midlands as far as I am geographically in England xD

MrSpike

Thanks Insane569, It's good to be here. And that's sound advice. I have learnt Old Pochmann corners.. Trying to learn M2 Edges but it's a pain, would you recommend full Old Pochmann?
Also, I need to start finding memo techniques that will apply to the technique, got any ideas? :)

5BLD

WCA
2011LAUA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Looks like I'm one of few Londoners...

Edit:
I would recommend full old pochmann yes. Even I can do BLD now with it.
M2 is not that much harder, just a bit uncomfortable...

For corner memo I use letters but don't put it into a sentence; I simply put the string of letters together and pronounce it. I find this more efficient although hard with all consonants. I never insert vowels though so don't be tempted ;)

As for edges I either do visual or letters with stories made up on the spot.

Last edited:

MrSpike

Sounds Good 5BLD, I am scrapping my M2 notes because It's hurting my head. I couldn't do it looking. never mind starting to memorise. So Full Pochmanns it is. I can do the corners of Old pochmann now. Don't know whether it's a good thing to practice just memorising and doing corners and edges seperately at first? Will have to see!
Also, how do you label your corners and edges? Do you think a particular method is best and what does a reference/label need for each corner/edge?
Thank you :)

5BLD

WCA
2011LAUA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I do them the way I made up. It is too confusing to explain :/

Try making up your own way; or try the way I heard some people use:
UB is A
BU is B
UR is C
etc in a spiral shape down the cube.

For corners, just tap and say 'white' 'orange' etc to what colour the sticker is.
So tapping remembers positions.
Same can be done for edges.

MrSpike

Sounds good, do corners need a letter/number for each sticker then too?
I may just steal a labelling method that I find easy from some of the tutorials kicking round.